Drivers license and "M.D."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajvosa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my drivers license expired and now I need to change it. Can I put "M.D." next to my name while still in residency and how do I do it? Do I need to present some proof (e.g. diploma, etc)?

This is really not for my ego but to get an easy break when a cop stops you. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

You are pathetic. You sound like a typical foreign M.D. who thinks there M.D. means something to other people. HaHAHA!!! Nobody cares about your M.D. and trust me no one will give YOU a break! My wholw family are either state troopers, cops, or SWAT and they love to bust Docs!! HAHA your funny.

Actually, a lot of people care about an M.D. degree. However, whatever "special treatment" you manage to get from avoiding speeding tickets will be offset when you get into a car accident and the other motorist decides to sue the heck out of you because he or she assumes that as an MD, you have a lot of money. M.D.'s actually get sued more then the general public in non-medical malpractice matters too. You can always just show the police officer your hospital ID tell them that you were on the way to work, while keeping the MD off the driver's license for car accidents.

marchiafava said:
You are pathetic. You sound like a typical foreign M.D. who thinks there M.D. means something to other people. HaHAHA!!! Nobody cares about your M.D. and trust me no one will give YOU a break! My wholw family are either state troopers, cops, or SWAT and they love to bust Docs!! HAHA your funny.
Just keep a stethoscope or white coat in your car. That should work. I'm also a paramedic, and I have a NREMT paramedic sticker on my back window. Hasn't failed me yet. (I've been pulled over for speeding about 10 times with that thing and I've always left with a "have a nice day" without a ticket. Sometimes they don't even check my license!)

When I finally do become a doc I'm going to do everything in my power to hide that fact from anyone who isn't a peer or patient. As a soon to be med student I've already gotten 3 failproof responses to when people find out. 1) Oh really? Say I got this pain in my yadda yadda yadda what should I do? 2) You know doctors aren't that smart (or insert any insult against the medical profession here) and then a long drawn out talk about how their profession is better. 3) (my personal fav) Oh really? Say can I borrow 100K to start up a business? This is always a relative. So I guess theres nothing I can do to avoid #3 since they all probably know.

danwsu said:
3) (my personal fav) Oh really? Say can I borrow 100K to start up a business? This is always a relative. So I guess theres nothing I can do to avoid #3 since they all probably know.

Someone joked to me when I got accepted that they would like to borrow $30k to buy a new car. I replied "Sure, but can I borrow $200,000 to pay for med school?" They didn't realize how much med school costs.

great comeback southerndoc...and danwsu, how do you like the new name of the school? Quite a bit of typing :laugh:

DRealDrZ said:
great comeback southerndoc...and danwsu, how do you like the new name of the school? Quite a bit of typing :laugh:

Saying it is even worse. I think I'm gonna take a page out of the other schools in KC and just say the first 4 letters, K,C,U,M.

marchiafava said:

Sorry to disappoint you but I graduated from the top private U.S. medical school in NYC.

So nobody knows how should I go about this?

rajvosa said:
Sorry to disappoint you but I graduated from a top private U.S. medical school in NYC.

So nobody knows how should I go about this?

I do: don't break any laws.

Heeed! said:
I do: don't break any laws.

Well, you answer was not related to my question: how do I add M.D. to my drivers license?

Perhaps you should contact the DMV. Putting MD on your license is an extremely bad idea however.

rajvosa said:
Well, you answer was not related to my question: how do I add M.D. to my drivers license?

The current NYS license application does not ask for any titles - no Mr, Mrs, Dr, Rev, whatever,so I don't believe you can add the MD to the license. and getting the MD on the plates, well, though it may make parking easier, it opens up all sorts of trouble. to get md plates you need to show proof of licensure. you can check out http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/ and see if there's anything useful there.

If you get pulled over, the hospital ID is usually sufficient. Some medical associations will also mail you (for like $5) a "Doctor-on-call" sign for your dash. I've also treated quite a few policemen and they've given me PBA (police benevolent association) cards/badges to use "just in case". haven't had to though...

marchiafava said:

It's sad you feel that way. I've patched-up a lot of cops/firemen in the ED.... and they always go to the front of the line. There's a lot of mutual respect going on.

In Texas you are not allowed to put anything after your name on your drivers license.

rajvosa said:
This is really not for my ego but to get an easy break when a cop stops you. :laugh:

That is way too lame for words!!!!!!

Obey the law, Bozo.

rajvosa said:
Sorry to disappoint you but I graduated from the top private U.S. medical school in NYC.

If you get pulled over, just tell them you went to the top private U.S. medical school in NYC. Be sure to do it arrogantly too, cops love that stuff. Better yet, just photocopy your diploma really small and laminate it so you can carry it with you. That way, if anyone pulls you over, you can prove you are a great doctor.

WHO didn't wake up on the wrong side of bed this a.m.??

Is there a way that I can put "brand new intern with $100k debt" on my license? That way hopefully the cops will just figure that I'm too broke to pay a fine... :oops:

Yup, you can contact the DMV. I don't know the specific rules regarding placing an MD on your driver's license, but I do know that some physicians are able to get an M.D. on their license plate. Again though, I wouldn't advise this.

Two Words: Sharpie

rajvosa said:

So, you graduated from Cornell :D

-Harps

Hey, OP, you should check out the thread by the 'medical student' who is enrolled a Liberia-based medical school, taking her classes on-line, who apparently gets a great sense of pride parading around town with her Medical Student ID badge clipped conspicuously to her bag, and asks 'Am I the only one like this?'.

:laugh:

hans19 said:
Hey, OP, you should check out the thread by the 'medical student' who is enrolled a Liberia-based medical school, taking her classes on-line, who apparently gets a great sense of pride parading around town with her Medical Student ID badge clipped conspicuously to her bag, and asks 'Am I the only one like this?'.

:laugh:

Let it go, dude.

Don't be a poser. Instead you should just wear your stethascope everywhere. You know, to the grocery store, to the movies, walking your dog (which wears a sweater that says 'My owner is a doctor'), to the coffee shop, etc. Then you should get a tattoo on your bicep that says 'DOC' like the guy on Scrubs. That would be money. And don't forget to always wear your 'I graduated from the top private U.S. medical school in NYC' sweatshirt. Don't forget to get your checks re-personalized, credit cards too. And most importanlty, every restaurant reservation should be made under the name, Dr. So and So. That way, when your table is ready, everyone will know that a graduate from the top private U.S. medical school in NYC is in the house. That's what I'd do if I were you.

i think you meant "top private US medical school in the bronx." einstein's a fine school and all, but don't kid yourself.

Forget the license. Everytime you want to get in the car, put on your scrubs, lab coat, hang the scope around your neck, wear the surgical mask and cap and head out... The cop is bound to know you are an MD. Also, slap a sticker with the name of your institution along with a license plate cover and that will take care of the rest.

This is perhaps one of the most idiotic threads I have seen posted! Don't you have something more important to do (ie read, sleep, take a dump...)????

Oh, bless your heart.

I'm so sorry you graduated from a top private US medical school in NYC and feel the need to do that.