Drop the class or the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndizzle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm placed in a bit of a dilemma, and while I may have already made up my mind, I want to make sure I'm not doing something completely radical here and hear some other people's thoughts on what they would do.

I have a midterm for a given class on a selected date, I also have an interview for a medical school which is low on my list on the same date. I haven't been accepted anywhere yet so I'd like to do as many interviews as I can as soon as I can. If I miss the midterm, I must drop the class since its 30 percent and I cannot make it up(I've asked the professor and found this isn't flexible.) If I drop the class, I'll be a part-time student unless I study like hell for another class I haven't been going to and take its midterm before the add/drop deadline(a little over halfway through). I've already bought non-refundable airfare though. Now that I'm placed in this situation, my choices are:

either,
drop the class,
go to the interview since i've already bought airline tickets
study for another class's midterm at the last minute so i can keep the same number of classes(grade wont matter as much since i could pull a b probably and its after ive sent in transcripts)

or,
keep the class,
lose the airfare for the interview(250) and reschedule it later or not at all
risky since i have absolutely no acceptances and cant count on them although i do have around 10-11 interviews scheduled(although 3 waitlists from what ive heard so far)
dont have to worry about swapping a class unnecessarily

Members don't see this ad.

i would try to reschedule the interview. no acceptances at this time of the year is perfectly normal even for a competative app. if that's not possible, it sounds like dropping the class that conflicts with your interview seems like the better option. just my 2 cents.

I would reschedule the interview and see if the airline will allow you to change your flight date. They may be more apt for you to change the flight date rather than go through the hassle of refunding your money and charging you a fee to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm placed in a bit of a dilemma, and while I may have already made up my mind, I want to make sure I'm not doing something completely radical here and hear some other people's thoughts on what they would do.

I have a midterm for a given class on a selected date, I also have an interview for a medical school which is low on my list on the same date. I haven't been accepted anywhere yet so I'd like to do as many interviews as I can as soon as I can. If I miss the midterm, I must drop the class since its 30 percent and I cannot make it up(I've asked the professor and found this isn't flexible.) If I drop the class, I'll be a part-time student unless I study like hell for another class I haven't been going to and take its midterm before the add/drop deadline(a little over halfway through). I've already bought non-refundable airfare though. Now that I'm placed in this situation, my choices are:

either,
drop the class,
go to the interview since i've already bought airline tickets
study for another class's midterm at the last minute so i can keep the same number of classes(grade wont matter as much since i could pull a b probably and its after ive sent in transcripts)

or,
keep the class,
lose the airfare for the interview(250) and reschedule it later or not at all
risky since i have absolutely no acceptances and cant count on them although i do have around 10-11 interviews scheduled(although 3 waitlists from what ive heard so far)
dont have to worry about swapping a class unnecessarily

It's totally unreasonable for your Prof to not allow you to make the exam up. Maybe you should try again or talk to the department head? Try to work out an understanding. Most profs are flexible with seniors going on interviews and all. Maybe you could suggest taking the exam early...

Wait, I am confused, there is another class that you aren't doing well in? On second thought, I think you should try to reschedule the interview...

i wouldn't say totally unreasonable... just me...

Why can't you just take the midterm early? Your professor sounds like an unreasonable prick if he won't work with you for your schedule.

take it early, or drop the class....

interview > class, period.

I understand professors not letting you make up an exam, but all the professors I've had say that you can take it early if you arrange it. Talk to your professor again and explain the situation.

Most of my classes have a policy where exams can only be made up or rescheduled for death in the family or severe illness. They said explicitly that interviews are not an acceptable excuse and if you miss an exam for one you automatically fail.

I don't think it's unusual for that policy to exist (unreasonable, yes..but that's a different story). I would reschedule the interview ASAP and eat the $100 change fee the airline will charge you. It's better than the alternative.

Most places will let you take the exam early for a valid reason (although taking it late might be a bit harder of a sell). Talk to the professor again, and volunteer to take it early.

Schools generally WANT there students to succeed, and go on to professional schools. It is a good reflection on the school when you do well.

That is so ridiculous. Cant u show your professor proof showing you have an interview...bc thats not fair to put someone in that type of position...and say youd be willing to take it earlier. Professors have to be understanding...but I would say interview is way more important than the class...so that should be your number 1 priority if u cant seem to reschedule the exam or interview itself.

I certainly had some professors who were completely inflexible. I feel your pain.

Try talking with them once more though, just to see. If not, reschedule the interview. Never turn down an interview until you at least have one acceptance. Airlines usually allow you to reschedule flights for a 50 dollar fee (I accidentally scheduled a return flight for the wrong month once and had to do this the night before). If you can't change the flight, eat the cost of a new ticket anyways. In the grand scheme of things medical school will be worth it. Then, the day before the unusable ticket, see if any flight details have changed (time, delays, etc.), then bitch like hell with the ticket seller/airline to get a full refund.

In short. Don't drop anything. Reschedule.

If I were in your shoes right now... I would change them... :hungover:

I think realistically your class is your primary commitment and you should take your exam when it's scheduled. You should also call the school and see if they have other interview dates you could go to, explain that you have a midterm that day and will be unable to make it for the interview, but you would love the opportunity to interview with their school.

If they will not reschedule your interview I would just cancel the interview and cross that school off of my list. Then rock out your midterms.

Good luck!

There's always the option of e-mailing the dean. People at the top are usually pretty reasonable. I had a situation where I had FOUR finals on the same day and every single prof refused to move his/her exam saying "why don't you ask the other profs." I just dropped by the dean's office, explained the situation, and then within an hour, I had e-mails from profs suggesting other possible dates for me to take the exams.

Also, did you KNOW the date of the midterm when you booked the interview? Because if you didn't, that's a pretty valid excuse. However, if the date of the midterm was on the syllabus, it might be harder to defend yourself.

If I were in your shoes right now... I would change them... :hungover:

I think realistically your class is your primary commitment and you should take your exam when it's scheduled. You should also call the school and see if they have other interview dates you could go to, explain that you have a midterm that day and will be unable to make it for the interview, but you would love the opportunity to interview with their school.

If they will not reschedule your interview I would just cancel the interview and cross that school off of my list. Then rock out your midterms.

Good luck!
Great advice if the OP only wants to graduate with his or her Bachelor's. Horrible advice if they actually want to get an acceptance. Like I said before, try to move the interview if the professor won't budge. Do not give up the interview. Jochi has a great idea too. The dean will care more about your post graduation plans because it directly reflects on the university, not exactly on the professor.

Edit: I just noticed the smiley. I still find the post more serious than sarcastic.