Dropped Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisonhcky87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So my freshman year, I had a run in with the "policy enforcers" and they decided to give my roommates and I nuisance party tickets. After staying out of trouble for a year and doing the community service, the charge was dropped. I called the courts and they said that since I was not charged, it will not show up on any background check. However, if anyone ever called the court, they would say "so and so got a nuisance party ticket, he completed everything, and the charges were dropped.

My question.... do I mention this on my AADSAS knowing this is not a major infraction, or do I cross my fingers they dont call the court??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

if it's not on your background check, why mention it?

AADSAS has this new thing where you can ask for a background check (made by the same company who does background checks for Dental schools) and see if your thing pops up. I think you have to submit your app first to see the link on AADSAS but you can try...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

So my freshman year, I had a run in with the "policy enforcers" and they decided to give my roommates and I nuisance party tickets. After staying out of trouble for a year and doing the community service, the charge was dropped. I called the courts and they said that since I was not charged, it will not show up on any background check. However, if anyone ever called the court, they would say "so and so got a nuisance party ticket, he completed everything, and the charges were dropped.

My question.... do I mention this on my AADSAS knowing this is not a major infraction, or do I cross my fingers they dont call the court??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

It is "my roommates and ME" not "my roommates and I"...

Dismissed charges show up on the background check. Have it expunged or just put it on there because its really not that big of a deal you party animal.

To OP: AADSAS asks if you have ever been convicted. You were not convicted, so the only truthful answer is no. Whether it shows up on your background report or not is irrelevant, just be honest. Some supplemental applications, however, will ask if you were ever charged. At that point you will have to decide whether it's worth taking the chance to lie and hope it doesn't show up on your background report, or just tell the truth. I recommend the latter, but others will obviously disagree.

The way that it is worded on AADSAS specifically says to disclose "charges you were convicted of," and I believe that dropped charges do not count as a conviction. I'm in a similar situation and asked my lawyer and he told me that it depends on the wording, but that with the specific wording AADSAS uses, you do not have to disclose it. If the charges show up on a background check I don't see how the school could realistically get mad, as you did not lie about the situation, they simply did not ask the right question. You may, however, receive a more in depth question on a secondary application which requires you to list it.

Spend the money and get a background check done on yourself because you definitely should not mention it, if it doesn't show up.

I don't think you can request a background check on yourself through certiphi until you submit your app, which at that point, would be too late.

You don't have to use certiphi. I used certiphi last year for licensing purposes but the board no longer accepts background checks from anyone but the FBI. You can definitely request a FBI background check any time without having to submit anything.

As for the actual background check results, I don't think certiphi vs. FBI checks would be different. If anything, I would think FBI checks probably provide more accurate results.

Does your state have court records online? Mine does and I can see my list of charges, including dismissed. The dismissed charges show up on your background check (as dismissed), so don't freak out when you see them on there.