Dropping out of Current school to apply for Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pluginchugin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this? where... lets say you were a current medical or pharmacy student and you wanted to change your career. So you decide to apply for dentistry. If you were to get accepted, you would drop out of your current studies and pursue this new path?

I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon by dental schools to know about this, but would you even be safe if you avoided telling them that you were currently enrolled somewhere else?

I would like to hear some input on the matter. And if anyone has done it before and succeeded, can you please reply??

Members don't see this ad.

i know there is a section of the application that asks you whether or not you have taken the pcat, mcat, etc and if you have applied to other professional schools, I guess you could always lie but thats pretty stupid.

you can't lie.

it will come out in your background check that you have attended another professional school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definately don't try to hide it. People change their mind and you shouldn't be afraid to openly admit you've gone down the wrong career path. I have a friend that dropped out of medical school after the first year and switched right into dental, and he did it at the same school. But you should be ready for the obvious questioning you'll get for changing course. They're going to want to know how you've researched dentistry enough to be confident you want to do it.

Good point with the background check. Yeah its gonna be difficult and possibly even frowned upon if you make the attempt, but if your heart's in it, why not give it a try

Has anyone heard of this? where... lets say you were a current medical or pharmacy student and you wanted to change your career. So you decide to apply for dentistry. If you were to get accepted, you would drop out of your current studies and pursue this new path?

I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon by dental schools to know about this, but would you even be safe if you avoided telling them that you were currently enrolled somewhere else?

I would like to hear some input on the matter. And if anyone has done it before and succeeded, can you please reply??

Hello,

If you plan to withdraw from your current field in GOOD standing, that is a plus on your side. This indicates you are serious about dentistry. However, if you are near academic dismissal and want to go to dental, I say your chance is pretty nil. You have to be truthful since getting caught in a lie may cause you to be dismissed immediately. DP

there is no way you can not put that you're enrolled, or were enrolled, in another school because dschools want transcripts from ALL schools attended

Why would you apply if you didn't plan on dropping out?

jb!:)