Dry Mouth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I get pretty extreme dry mouth during interviews. I guess it's from being nervous. It gets pretty bad. Would it be weird to bring a bottle of water into the interview and sip it once or twice? Is there some kind of mouth watering medication? Carry around a steak I can salivate at cartoon style?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it'd be perfectly reasonable to bring a bottle of water with you to your interview. In fact they usually give out free drinks at the interview (at least in my experience).

I've seen mouthwash for dry mouth in the toothpaste aisle before. I don't know if it works, but you might want to look into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks I'll have to check it out.

Water bottles are not professional. Posicles on the other hand are very common.

A small water bottle should not be an issue. Just make sure you open it beforehand so you aren't cranking on it trying to open while talking if it is tight.

If speakers in professional settings can have a glass of water at the podium, surely no one will judge you for needing a sip of water during an interview.

I get pretty extreme dry mouth during interviews. I guess it's from being nervous. It gets pretty bad. Would it be weird to bring a bottle of water into the interview and sip it once or twice? Is there some kind of mouth watering medication? Carry around a steak I can salivate at cartoon style?

I think it'd be perfectly reasonable to bring a bottle of water with you to your interview. In fact they usually give out free drinks at the interview (at least in my experience).

If speakers in professional settings can have a glass of water at the podium, surely no one will judge you for needing a sip of water during an interview.

this. at my last interview I was with multiple interviewers and they offered me a glass of water before I started. At the one previous, I brought my cup of water with me from the room where we were waiting so I could drink while my interviewer spoke. I don't think anyone judged me for it.

Heads up, MMI would probably be pretty rough on you since they don't allow for a single break in an hour and a half long speed session of mini-interviews.

Occasionally drinking could allow you to gather your thoughts quickly too?

At every single interview, I brought a bottle of water. Interviewers didn't mind...not...one...bit (insert Joker JPEG).

Dude, water is the best medication. Bring a water bottle.

I take a couple of medications that have the unfortunate side effect of extreme dry mouth. Pair that with nerves, and I made sure to take a bottle of water with me to nearly every interview I attended. I was really worried at first about how it would be perceived and all, but no one ever made a comment about it. If you're worried, do it. Otherwise you'll spend the entire interview focusing on how dry your mouth is.

I brought a bottle of water into every interview that I had. I think I drank nearly the entire thing during all of them lol

Heads up, MMI would probably be pretty rough on you since they don't allow for a single break in an hour and a half long speed session of mini-interviews.
Schools must arrange their MMI's slightly differently. At mine, we had two 10-minute break stations with water, a bathroom, and couches

I agree. A popsicle would be more suitable. :D

girlsexysu_oyum57mw.jpg

slooooooooooot

Schools must arrange their MMI's slightly differently. At mine, we had two 10-minute break stations with water, a bathroom, and couches

seriously? that sounds like heaven compared to mine. :( A+

My dry mouth becomes audible from my tongue sticking to my pallet and then unsticking everytime I open my mouth. It also makes it harder to speak. Thanks for all the input, I guess I'll rock a camel back on interviews or bring a 24 pack of water.

Lay off the pot before the interview

Reactions: 1 user