Dual Enrollment/Medical School Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous0920

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to go into my junior year of high school, and will end up with enough credits to graduate early, but I could also take free online dual enrollment courses with a community college my senior year. The thing is I want to go to college as a Premed(probably a biology or chemistry major). This got me wondering if the online dual enrollment courses I'll do in high school will count as credit when I apply to medical school? Any insights or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they will count as credit for some, not all medical schools but will also count as part of your overall GPA. So if you do decide to take them, try to do as well as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Lets clarify this:

If you take college courses that appear on an accredited college transcript, they will be considered by both AMCAS for purposes of GPA calculation that will go to all medical schools and by the medical schools themselves for purposes of fulfilling their prerequisite requirements for potential matriculation. However, please note at least 4 points

1) these will be noted as college credits earned during High School and will appear as a separate line item for GPA (see below)
2) these will be from a community college and some medical schools recommend prerequisites at a 4 year institution
3) you will have less years in actual college for the EC/WA that are needed to have a competitive application.
4) Taking less time in college does not impress an adcom; indeed a younger applicant who has spent less time in actual college or the world beyond HS would present more a question of "maturity."
This^^^^^. Yes, you'll not only get credit, but you'll be required to provide a transcript when you apply. Just be careful, because this is a double edged sword. Many HS students struggle to compete with college students, and you won't receive any slack for getting crappy grades in college as a HS student. It will hurt your reported GPA when you apply, so don't rush in just to try to save some money by graduating college a little early.

I'm also don't really think that CC courses taken as a HS student will hurt you, assuming you do well, as they might for someone attending a 4 year college who took a few med school prereqs at a CC over a summer to avoid weed out classes at his home school. After all, plenty of med students were once enrolled CC students, and they somehow found a way to be admitted to med school after taking CC med school prereqs as part of their associates degree.

Reactions: 1 user