Dual Programs/degrees (music/med?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dustyrze

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate any current med students' comments about deciding to enroll in dual degree programs...how many years it'll take, general ideas about scheduling feasibility, costs (!!) and program flexibilities with dual programs.

I'm especially interested in pursuing the MD degree while doing a MM (music performance). Not entirely sure how possible this is. I guess the only two combos I can think of within the same university would be Hopkins/Peabody and Yale/Yale. How did consideration of each program affect your choice in the end?

Any Class of 2008 also thinking about these kinds of combos?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey dustyrze, that's right up my alley. I'll send you a PM with details. :)

Originally posted by dustyrze
Would appreciate any current med students' comments about deciding to enroll in dual degree programs...how many years it'll take, general ideas about scheduling feasibility, costs (!!) and program flexibilities with dual programs.

I'm especially interested in pursuing the MD degree while doing a MM (music performance). Not entirely sure how possible this is. I guess the only two combos I can think of within the same university would be Hopkins/Peabody and Yale/Yale. How did consideration of each program affect your choice in the end?

Any Class of 2008 also thinking about these kinds of combos?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale's Director of Admissions, Richard Silverman, talked about one medical student who was dually enrolled in the graduate performance program (opera) and in the medical school. His words were "I'm not sure how she did it," and he said it in a very admiring way.

So it's definitely possible.

--Rager

I colleague of mine recently told me about a seminar he attended; apparently the speaker was an accomplished composer in addition to being an MD/PhD. Now that I think about it, that doesn't really have anything to do with your question!

Originally posted by dustyrze
I guess the only two combos I can think of within the same university would be Hopkins/Peabody and Yale/Yale.

Uh, how about Rochester/Rochester (i.e. Eastman). Your real problem would be getting into Eastman I imagine. The med school has tons of elective/vacation time. My question is where would you get time to study and practive 6 hours/day.

Ed

Originally posted by edmadison
Uh, how about Rochester/Rochester (i.e. Eastman). Your real problem would be getting into Eastman I imagine. The med school has tons of elective/vacation time. My question is where would you get time to study and practive 6 hours/day.

Ed

Or Northwestern, or UMich....

However, I can kind of see it happening at Yale with Yale Med's curriculum. To do both at any other place is probably way too time consuming, assuming you still want to graduate in 4 or 5 years.

This also depends on what instrument you plan on studying. If you play the piano or any of the orchestral instruments, you will have no choice but to practice many hours each day just to stay competitive. If you plan to eventually perform as a professional (surely you are not getting the MM just for the heck of it?), you'll need to practice more than just a few hours each day. I simply fail to see how one can excel in both curriculums at the same time. Having to study for a upcoming exam while preparing for a recital is, in my opinion, too much for any person to handle, assuming that you want to do well in both.

What are you planning on doing with the MM anyway? You won't have time to teach or whatever if you're actually a practicing physician, or at least not for many years while you're getting started. Why don't you just keep music in your personal life and join community groups or whatnot while you do med school? I know I'm going to.

i'd check out usc also. all of the above schools have awesome music schools, but i'd think that yale would be the best way to go since you'd have a lot more free time.

being premed and in performance is tough for me, and sometimes i am jealous of my friends at the conservatories who are purely focused on music. if i were you i'd at least look at getting an MM before med school, so you can at least give your talents in music a fair shot w/o having med school to worry about (what an understatement)...

Thanks for all of your comments!

Rager1-def encouraged by that comment.

Coldchemist-of course it did :)...it's always inspiring to hear of people who accomplish so much in two fields!

Edmadison-darn, I didn't apply to Rochester, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll just continue what I've tried to do the past four years :)

VCMM414-same thing...didn't apply to schools outside the Northeast since would prefer to stay near family, but thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the piano...and oh I know I'll have to continue with 4-6 a day. Hopefully I'll still be able to do both tracks :)...finding a music program within same university/city is probably one of most important factors in my choice of med school.

Brickhouse-hopefully continuing on to a DMA. likely to focus on performance for years before any teaching. I guess I just can't really bear the thought of giving music half of my effort, and so I don't want to just consider it a hobby. (and yes, I know that sounds rather strange with the med thing) .

Morecowbell-totally hear ya! :):) I also did the whole liberal arts/pre-med track while trying for performance, and it's already been rather difficult.