Dual specialties.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nacure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've come to know some dentists have more than one specialties.
I wonder whether it means the dentist just graduated more than one residency programs or boarded on more than one specialties. which is correct?
Can you get two or more board in USA?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what you're really asking. A healthcare provider may obtain as many boards as he/she desires....as long as they fulfill the requirements for each one.

I read this in the guide of american board of prosthodontics.

Limited Practice—Dentists who have successfully completed an advanced prosthodontic education program which is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation may ethically limit their practice to prosthodontics, subject to individual state guidelines.

So, I am asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
It means that it is unethical for a general dentist to limit his practice to only prosthodontics. Therefore, according to the American Board of Prosth., only prosthodontists (those that graduate from accredited post-graduate prosth. programs) should ethically limit their practice to prosth.

Note that these are not legal guidelines, but ethical guidelines. The American Dental Association agrees with such ethical guidelines.

It means that it is unethical for a general dentist to limit his practice to only prosthodontics. Therefore, according to the American Board of Prosth., only prosthodontists (those that graduate from accredited post-graduate prosth. programs) should ethically limit their practice to prosth.

Note that these are not legal guidelines, but ethical guidelines. The American Dental Association agrees with such ethical guidelines.

oh.. thanks.

I misunderstood that.