Dublin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtambaschi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted, but has anyone applied to Dublin? I'd love to hear anything you have to offer about the school and/or application process. Do they require an interview? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

no interview. 4-year program if you have your degree, so thats cool. the administrators/people that you have to interact with are very friendly and prompt when it comes to answering questions.
im heading over there in July so well see how it is! :luck:

Thank you for getting back to me. Congratulations! Please let me know how things go once you get there.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
fo sho....if you have any questions feel free to ask

I am actually interested in University College of Dublin, too. I will be applying for 2010 matriculation. I went onto the website to see what information they had on the application process, etc, and apparently there is a supplemental application to fill out. I have a few questions:

1. I do not have to fill out the entire application at once, do I? I actually started to log in and create an account but it was giving me weird messages that made it seem as though I would have to fill it out all at once and I panicked. How does the application work for this school, exactly?

2. How do I go about NOT submitting my GRE scores because it apparently says on the website that you do not submit them, but you have to put them in the VMCAS application. Do they just eliminate them or do I have to do something?

3. Where are the interviews located for students in the US? And if you are accepted, do they provide the air-fair and such to visit the school?

I am really excited about this new accredited university as I am obsessed with Ireland and veterinary medicine... I almost fainted when I saw that this school is accredited, now!!!! Please let me know how your visit goes, sparkydoggie, and any advice you have for someone who is jealous of your future endeavors! : )

I am actually interested in University College of Dublin, too. I will be applying for 2010 matriculation. I went onto the website to see what information they had on the application process, etc, and apparently there is a supplemental application to fill out. I have a few questions:

1. I do not have to fill out the entire application at once, do I? I actually started to log in and create an account but it was giving me weird messages that made it seem as though I would have to fill it out all at once and I panicked. How does the application work for this school, exactly?

2. How do I go about NOT submitting my GRE scores because it apparently says on the website that you do not submit them, but you have to put them in the VMCAS application. Do they just eliminate them or do I have to do something?

3. Where are the interviews located for students in the US? And if you are accepted, do they provide the air-fair and such to visit the school?

I am really excited about this new accredited university as I am obsessed with Ireland and veterinary medicine... I almost fainted when I saw that this school is accredited, now!!!! Please let me know how your visit goes, sparkydoggie, and any advice you have for someone who is jealous of your future endeavors! : )

I'll try to be of some help in answering your questions, but I think they may have changed up the application process a bit.
I don't know what they are having you do for a supplementary app. this year. My year we just mailed a bunch of stuff in seperately and just answered a few things online. I'm sure their supp. app. won't be too bad, and if for some reason it gives you trouble, email Mr. Buckley because he is very helpful.

There are no interviews for your cycle as far as I know. If they ever did do an interview I assume it would be like the RVC, where they do SanFran and New York ones. You do not get air-fare at any point, but in your loans there are plenty of muns for future transport.

Don't worry about the GRE scores. They just won't look at them. Dublin, and RVC for that matter, are very chill about documentation and processing. They are a lot more relaxed than American schools and are very friendly about letting you know what you do or don't need. You can always ask them, and usually someone else applying asks and then they send out a mass email (once you are farther along in the process).

p.s. thanks for the well-wishes, i will def. post info and stories

Last edited:
I sent an email to an admissions officer in Newport Beach asking where I should send my transcripts if I apply through VMCAS and he said if I apply through VMCAS then I do not need to send any documents to his office, but that if I apply through the Bridge program then I should send him my transcripts.

How did you apply and where did you send your transcripts?

I don't think there's a supplemental application. I think you apply either through VMCAS or through the Bridge Program. He also said the Bridge Program application will not be available until August 1...

I sent an email to an admissions officer in Newport Beach asking where I should send my transcripts if I apply through VMCAS and he said if I apply through VMCAS then I do not need to send any documents to his office, but that if I apply through the Bridge program then I should send him my transcripts.

How did you apply and where did you send your transcripts?

I don't think there's a supplemental application. I think you apply either through VMCAS or through the Bridge Program. He also said the Bridge Program application will not be available until August 1...

I applied through VMCAS and was sent the following list of things to do as supplements:

"Supplemental Application to UCD DUBLIN

WHAT TO SEND!
&
TO WHO!

The following documents pack to

Mr Martin Hurley
UCD Online Admissions Officer
Tierney Building
Belfield
UCD
Dublin 4
Ireland

• Copy of your passport
• 2 page personal statement (signed) on why you would like to study Veterinary Medicine at the UCD Veterinary School Dublin.
• Copy (ONLY) of your bachelor’s degree transcripts for every year of your degree.
• Ignore the UCD Online Application fee request.
• Do not send GRE scores or High School results they are not part of the UCD Veterinary Medicine supplemental application process.
• UCD will also receive a full copy of your VMCAS application from VMCAS.
• Send these documents to the above person by the 31st January 2009.

Maybe it has changed this year, but as of last year that's what Mr. Buckley wanted :) Hope that helps!!!

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! :)

Do you happen to know what the passing rate for the NAVLE is? And since its accredited I assume no other exam except the boards would be necessary to come back and practice in the US? Also I've heard that you wouldn't be given the title "Dr", is that true?? Thanks in advance =)

Do you happen to know what the passing rate for the NAVLE is? And since its accredited I assume no other exam except the boards would be necessary to come back and practice in the US? Also I've heard that you wouldn't be given the title "Dr", is that true?? Thanks in advance =)

i havent heard anything about a passing rate since they just got accredited so they havent had a full class to use, but i assume it has to be high (from the US students they have had) in order to have gotten the accred. in the first place.

no extra test.

The degree you get is diff but if you come back to the states and practice here they will call you dr. since the degree is equivalent and you take the same test.

I applied to Dublin last cycle also and was accepted after re-submitting one of my transcripts (they lost it after I sent in my packet). That was the only thing that irked me about the whole process- that I had to e-mail them afte months of not hearing anything to find out they would like me to re-send it. Uh, hel-loo, you coulda shot me an e-mail or something so I could have stopped agonizing over it!
I did actually go to Dublin last month to visit the campus, and it is great. The whole lecture building is actually connected to the teaching hospital, which is verrry large (impressive amt. of L.A. stuff, I think). In the end if I were leaning towards L.A. (and the cost of living in the Euro weren't so terrible) I would have gone there, but I chose RVC instead.

Take heed- a few U.S. students I talked to that used the Atlantic Bridge program to apply and were now accepted said it was a BIG P.I.A., even after their acceptance, all of their loan and visa paperwork had to go through this third party, which made it ten times more complicated than the process had to be. If it were me, I would just forget Atlantic Bridge and apply through VMCAS like we did last year. Sounded easier (and cheaper) to me.

i havent heard anything about a passing rate since they just got accredited so they havent had a full class to use, but i assume it has to be high (from the US students they have had) in order to have gotten the accred. in the first place.

no extra test.

The degree you get is diff but if you come back to the states and practice here they will call you dr. since the degree is equivalent and you take the same test.

Im part of the Dublin class of 2009 who graduated this week. Though im actually an Irish student, I passed the NAVLES in april. I know for a fact that the college only sent out emails this month to all of us to ask whether or not we had sat the NAVLES this year.

I think 6 or 7 sat it in December and 2 (i think) failed. About 14 sat it in April and I know of about 9/10 who passed. I would think there might be 2/3 who failed.

Uptil now only 1 or 2 sat the NAVLEs each year - more people sat them in the year (or 2) following graduation when completing internships in the States.

Also, as there was some mix up with AVMA accred back in 2007 most of our American classmates left us for Glasgow (we were then awarded AMA accred in 2008) so there werent many American students sitting the NAVLEs - it was mostly Irish. Some of us have internships in the US, others are just keeping their options open.

Any questions about Dublin - feel free to ask! Had a brilliant time there - theres always time for having the craic and most of the lecturers and clinicians are really sound - especially once you get to final year. :laugh: