Dublin 2024-2025 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I should probably make mention that unlike the Irish kids coming into this program I’m older than them so I’ve been highly accustomed to driving.

Also, it’s more of a personal choice for my affinity to having private transportation.
I am not sure if they have any accommodations with private bathrooms but I believe that all the laundry facilities are shared- I would reach out to them and double check if they provide dryers as well as washers, as some places in Europe still expect you to line-dry everything (though with the British Isle's notorious rain I wouldn't be surprised if they provide dryers).

I have not looked into the process for acquiring an Irish license on a student visa but my main concern would be that I did not see much parking when I toured campus- most students seemed to bike or use public transit if they needed to get somewhere that they couldn't easily walk to. I'm assuming that like most American universities I've been to, there will not be much parking allocated to students, and if there is any available for students, it will likely be both expensive and far from academic buildings. It may also be reserved for postgraduate students, and therefor not available to veterinary students since that is considered a bachelors-level program in Europe. I am also older than the Irish school leavers (and older than most US vet school applicants since I took an extra year in undergrad) and I did not feel the need to bring or rent a car. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this is pretty standard throughout Europe- their public transit is much better funded and managed a lot more efficiently than anything in the US. Oftentimes the trains and busses are actually faster and cheaper than driving yourself somewhere.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received anything? I haven't and I feel if no one else has, then it won't be this week, but it's weird since they said it would be... :/
 
I haven’t either! Definitely has not helped my nerves… but I really was hoping it was this week. I wakeup every morning hoping to see a status change and nothing:/
 
Same, it's really stressful :/ I've woken up around 5-6am all week because I'm so stressed I might have an email, and every time it's the same thing, I don't... I really hope next week's the week, I feel like our nerves can't take it anymore...
 
There is currently a scandal going on at UCD on how they handled a case with a medical student. Just an FYI for incoming and hopeful students to be very aware of... Not a good look for the school. I am very disappointed and appalled.
Ty for sharing I wasn’t aware of this but after further research I'm disturbed
 
There is currently a scandal going on at UCD on how they handled a case with a medical student. Just an FYI for incoming and hopeful students to be very aware of... Not a good look for the school. I am very disappointed and appalled.
Wow…just did research also…and the college is trying to get money for the court costs from the victim. Absolutely deplorable, I will not be going.
 
There is currently a scandal going on at UCD on how they handled a case with a medical student. Just an FYI for incoming and hopeful students to be very aware of... Not a good look for the school. I am very disappointed and appalled.
Thank you for speaking up about this. This will definitely be impacting my decision to go if I am accepted...
 
There is currently a scandal going on at UCD on how they handled a case with a medical student. Just an FYI for incoming and hopeful students to be very aware of... Not a good look for the school. I am very disappointed and appalled.
Can anyone direct me or send me the information regarding what happened?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is currently a scandal going on at UCD on how they handled a case with a medical student. Just an FYI for incoming and hopeful students to be very aware of... Not a good look for the school. I am very disappointed and appalled.
Thank you so much for bringing this up. UCD’s conduct here is absolutely appalling. The female student’s statement was incredibly heartbreaking, and I really hope she is able to continue her studies in the future. I would urge anyone who receives admission to UCD to decline, and let them know in an email why.
 
Well, we are a little way into March and Dublin promised us updates by the end of February. Has anyone received a status update who was waiting during February on their application?


It appears Dublin tends to the move the goalpost in terms of timing for decisions and even processing.
 
Here's the response to an email I sent out this morning: "As we have had a huge increase in applications this year it's taking longer than usual for us to review all applications for our 4-Year Grad Entry programme, so this process is ongoing. We have actually started sending out application updates to those who have applied to this programme. This, however, is happening on a phased basis (the whole process will continue for the next number of months) so not all applications are updated at the same time." So yeah there's really no saying when we'll hear back
 
Here's the response to an email I sent out this morning: "As we have had a huge increase in applications this year it's taking longer than usual for us to review all applications for our 4-Year Grad Entry programme, so this process is ongoing. We have actually started sending out application updates to those who have applied to this programme. This, however, is happening on a phased basis (the whole process will continue for the next number of months) so not all applications are updated at the same time." So yeah there's really no saying when we'll hear back
That’s crazy! I can’t even get a response to an email I sent last Thursday! How bogus is it that it will continue over the next few months. That can easily lead us into the summer
 
That’s crazy! I can’t even get a response to an email I sent last Thursday! How bogus is it that it will continue over the next few months. That can easily lead us into the summer
Looking through last year's Dublin thread, this seems to be the general trend for their 4-year program. They even gave a waitlist offer as late as less than a week before classes. When I toured, they told me that they don't send acceptances to the Irish students until summer (July-early August, as they start their school year later in September) so March acceptances is early to them in comparison. They emphasized that they always release international decisions early enough that international students have time to claim housing before the incoming Irish students take most of it.
 
Looking through last year's Dublin thread, this seems to be the general trend for their 4-year program. They even gave a waitlist offer as late as less than a week before classes. When I toured, they told me that they don't send acceptances to the Irish students until summer (July-early August, as they start their school year later in September) so March acceptances is early to them in comparison. They emphasized that they always release international decisions early enough that international students have time to claim housing before the incoming Irish students take most of it.
If the timeline is like this for the 4-year programme I can imagine the timeline for the 5-year admissions
 
Looking through last year's Dublin thread, this seems to be the general trend for their 4-year program. They even gave a waitlist offer as late as less than a week before classes. When I toured, they told me that they don't send acceptances to the Irish students until summer (July-early August, as they start their school year later in September) so March acceptances is early to them in comparison. They emphasized that they always release international decisions early enough that international students have time to claim housing before the incoming Irish students take most of it.
First year international students are guaranteed housing.

They do work on a much different timeline than most US schools. That is not just with admissions. Everything is a bit last minute ongoing through the course. It is just something that you get used to.

In terms of the Irish students and acceptances, that is a nationwide thing. On a specified date in the end of August, all of the Irish students in the country who just graduated from secondary school (high school) and plan to attend university, are pretty much told what they will be studying and where they will be going. This is based on their end of Secondary School exam (Leaving cert) results. So, it is normal for people to find out what and where they will be studying about 3 weeks before the program starts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here! Debating on getting the experience of living abroad (something I have dreamed of doing since I was little) or committing to one of the schools I got into in the us. Does anyone have any insight on if having a bvms puts you at a disadvantage compared to the dvm degrees from thw us? That is honestly the main thing that makes me hesitant as I would come back to practice in the states.
 
Same here! Debating on getting the experience of living abroad (something I have dreamed of doing since I was little) or committing to one of the schools I got into in the us. Does anyone have any insight on if having a bvms puts you at a disadvantage compared to the dvm degrees from thw us? That is honestly the main thing that makes me hesitant as I would come back to practice in the states.
I don't believe that there is any disadvantage to an MVB vs. DVM. My classmates, and people in the class ahead of me, have gotten wonderful internships in the US, and no one has had any difficult getting a job.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Current final year student, I had some people reach out to me with questions about the school and my experience, I’d be more than happy to help! Send me a message!!