You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dublin 2024-2025 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)
Started by supershorty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
DressageEnthusiast
Liverpool c/o 2031
Given how many people have already received interview invites for this cycle, it is very likely that most of us who are waiting to hear back are on some form of a waitlist. Does anyone know when Dublin's interview period is? And is it in person (or am I mixing them up with RVC)?Hey everyone, I am really scared because I have not heard anything back at all. Does that mean I am not on the list of who they really want? Should I email and ask about when it usually happens? I am just very conflicted and devastated. Has anyone gotten responses later and gotten in? Do they do it by who they favor the most or as they go through it?
That said, vet school waitlists do move. A spot on the waitlist isn't a death sentence since virtually no one applies to just one vet school (meaning even if someone is offered a spot at Dublin, they might turn it down for an offer from a different school).
futurewildlifevetmama
Full Member
You could call them and ask if they are finished sending out interview invites. The admissions staff is very friendly and helpful. Interviews are in-person and take place early-mid January in North America.Given how many people have already received interview invites for this cycle, it is very likely that most of us who are waiting to hear back are on some form of a waitlist. Does anyone know when Dublin's interview period is? And is it in person (or am I mixing them up with RVC)?
That said, vet school waitlists do move. A spot on the waitlist isn't a death sentence since virtually no one applies to just one vet school (meaning even if someone is offered a spot at Dublin, they might turn it down for an offer from a different school).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mcfuturevet
Full Member
I sent them an email about it, and apparently it depends if you applied via VMCAS or directly via their websites. Interviews invites for people who applied through VMCAS is end of November/ early December. For people who applied directly through the UCD website, it’s end of January/ early February.
dancingdolphins
Full Member
So if we applied via VMCAS and haven’t heard back we were likely rejected?
fruits-and-veggies
Full Member
So if we applied via VMCAS and haven’t heard back we were likely rejected?
I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Dublin was the last school I heard from every step of the way last cycle. They do everything in batches and on their own timeline. I know it's hard but try to be patient without losing hope! It's not a rejection until they say you're not admitted. If you're super concerned about the status of your app you can always email admissions, just know you might get a form response
mcfuturevet
Full Member
And also to remember that people can get accepted without passing an interview. So don't worry if you don't hear back yet as you might hear back at the next wave, or you might just not get an interview invite as it is not obligated to pass the interview to get accepted, it's just a plus for them. Hope this can reassure some people 🙂.
futuredoggydoc
Full Member
I just got an interview invite early this morning. I think they might be sending them out in waves this year.So if we applied via VMCAS and haven’t heard back we were likely rejected?
Hang in there. It is really done in batches. Do not read anything into not hearing yet. This is very Irish. Everything takes a long time, and communication is not the best. If you do end up here, you will get used to it, as that is how everything here functions.Hey everyone, I am really scared because I have not heard anything back at all. Does that mean I am not on the list of who they really want? Should I email and ask about when it usually happens? I am just very conflicted and devastated. Has anyone gotten responses later and gotten in? Do they do it by who they favor the most or as they go through it?
DressageEnthusiast
Liverpool c/o 2031
I received an email yesterday (just now opened it as I was traveling all of yesterday) that my application status has changed to "Decision Pending". They really take their time giving a solid answer, huh 🫠
oek5010
New Member
For those of you that accepted interview invites, did you ever receive the email with "further information"? I got an interview invite and they said they would be in touch before closing for the holidays, but I never got anything else. I sent a follow up email but I know I won't get a response until after New Years. Just wondering what information I might be missing. Good luck to all those interviewing!
aodvm2002
UC Davis SVM '30
i received a follow up email right before they went on holiday break with more information! my interview is in SFFor those of you that accepted interview invites, did you ever receive the email with "further information"? I got an interview invite and they said they would be in touch before closing for the holidays, but I never got anything else. I sent a follow up email but I know I won't get a response until after New Years. Just wondering what information I might be missing. Good luck to all those interviewing!
My application is still under review and I haven't gotten an interview invite 🙁(( is that basically a rejection?
xladylilacx
Incoming Vet Student
Anybody interview yesterday also? I’m curious how you felt, it seemed super chill so I have no idea how I did lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
miriam1216
Full Member
Yes, but I’m hoping that’ll come Monday.Anyone else interviewing next week and still never received the email with more information?
aodvm2002
UC Davis SVM '30
omg i have mine next week, im glad it was chill! how long did yours take? was it very conversational?Anybody interview yesterday also? I’m curious how you felt, it seemed super chill so I have no idea how I did lol
miriam1216
Full Member
My interview is also Thursday! I'm planning to wear business/business-casual attire.What did y’all wear for the interview? I have mine on Thursday in NYC 😅
futurewildlifevetmama
Full Member
UCD accepts students each year without an interview. So unless you hear otherwise you may receive an offer.Should be assuming waitlist or rejection if I am not hearing anything about an interview at this point as an international student applying?
aodvm2002
UC Davis SVM '30
i was told at my interview 2 weeks ago that it'd be about 4-5 weeks for any decisions. but it could definitely anytime in february or march i thinkIs there official date that decisions are supposed to come out?
BassethoundPL
New Member
Same I heard from the interview around late February si was told at my interview 2 weeks ago that it'd be about 4-5 weeks for any decisions. but it could definitely anytime in february or march i think
jace_dhd
New Member
Does anyone know about people who have been offered zoom interviews? I was offered a last minute interview (as in less than a week between interview offer and interview date) in late January and I didn't even know that was an option. The interview was really chill, but I'm not sure how this affects my chances or timeline of offer.
mcfuturevet
Full Member
How long after your application went under review did you get the interview offer? My application is still on 'submitted' and I'm freaking out about this... Is it normal that at this point it still hasn't been reviewed?I just got offered an interview! It's on Wednesday, any tips and recommendations to be prepared and good?
jace_dhd
New Member
Mine was pretty chill, it was about 10-15 minutes about a little bit of my experience and some things about logistics of moving to a different country for school. There’s lots of time for you to ask questions as well about the program, so come prepared!I just got offered an interview! It's on Wednesday, any tips and recommendations to be prepared and good?
jace_dhd
New Member
I should clarify it was about 25-30 minutes total, but about 15 of them asking me questions and 10 of me asking them questionsMine was pretty chill, it was about 10-15 minutes about a little bit of my experience and some things about logistics of moving to a different country for school. There’s lots of time for you to ask questions as well about the program, so come prepared!
mine has been under review since like November and I got an email for an interview two days ago!How long after your application went under review did you get the interview offer? My application is still on 'submitted' and I'm freaking out about this... Is it normal that at this point it still hasn't been reviewed?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HorseRacer
Full Member
Was that for the 4 year program?mine has been under review since like November and I got an email for an interview two days ago!
HorseRacer
Full Member
Was your interview for the 4-year program?I just got offered an interview! It's on Wednesday, any tips and recommendations to be prepared and good?
mcfuturevet
Full Member
I sent an email yesterday, and they responded with this, I hope that can help "At the moment our admissions committee is still reviewing applications and interviewing applicants for our VTS3 programme and this will continue for the next few weeks. [...] Application updates will start going out before the end of the month and will be sent in the form of an email asking you to log on to your application, so please keep an eye out for your update."
HorseRacer
Full Member
Hi thereI sent an email yesterday, and they responded with this, I hope that can help "At the moment our admissions committee is still reviewing applications and interviewing applicants for our VTS3 programme and this will continue for the next few weeks. [...] Application updates will start going out before the end of the month and will be sent in the form of an email asking you to log on to your application, so please keep an eye out for your update."
Did you apply for the VTS1 or VTS2 program?
I wasn’t even aware there’s a third type of cycle with UCD.
mcfuturevet
Full Member
The VTS1 is Undergraduate Veterinary Medicine, while the VTS3 is Undergraduate Vet Medicine (Graduate Entry). I dont think there is a VTS2. I applied for the VTS3 Undergraduate Vet Medicine (Graduate Entry)Hi there
Did you apply for the VTS1 or VTS2 program?
I wasn’t even aware there’s a third type of cycle with UCD.
HorseRacer
Full Member
I see. And did you apply through VMCAS or through UCD’s website? I ask because im trying to gauge who’s getting interviews right now.The VTS1 is Undergraduate Veterinary Medicine, while the VTS3 is Undergraduate Vet Medicine (Graduate Entry). I dont think there is a VTS2. I applied for the VTS3 Undergraduate Vet Medicine (Graduate Entry)
HorseRacer
Full Member
Has anyone started to look into rental accommodations near the school? If so how does that work with securing a rental in Ireland?
mcfuturevet
Full Member
I applied directly through the UCD website. The interview invites were sent mostly in late November/December for people who applied via VMCAS. For people like me, it was mostly late January/February (I personally haven't gotten one yet). They do the interview invites in waves. But I think the final decision will be at the same time for everyone, around late February/March.I see. And did you apply through VMCAS or through UCD’s website? I ask because im trying to gauge who’s getting interviews right now.
HorseRacer
Full Member
I see. Thank you for the information and best of luck in your cycle too!I applied directly through the UCD website. The interview invites were sent mostly in late November/December for people who applied via VMCAS. For people like me, it was mostly late January/February (I personally haven't gotten one yet). They do the interview invites in waves. But I think the final decision will be at the same time for everyone, around late February/March.
DressageEnthusiast
Liverpool c/o 2031
I toured UCDublin in person back in January- they told me that living accommodations for international students are guaranteed as long as you apply by a certain date. Typically, you apply through the UCD website, but you can live off campus if you find an accommodation. I was told that international students actually get better picking because they send out international acceptances before Irish acceptances (Irish students often don't know what uni they'll be attending until July/August).Has anyone started to look into rental accommodations near the school? If so how does that work with securing a rental in Ireland?
HorseRacer
Full Member
Did you like the campus when you toured? I haven’t had a chance yet to fly out and tour it. I’m waiting till things start to process before I do that.I toured UCDublin in person back in January- they told me that living accommodations for international students are guaranteed as long as you apply by a certain date. Typically, you apply through the UCD website, but you can live off campus if you find an accommodation. I was told that international students actually get better picking because they send out international acceptances before Irish acceptances (Irish students often don't know what uni they'll be attending until July/August).
Was there anything that stuck out to you about the vet school in particular?
HorseRacer
Full Member
Also, what sort of living accommodations do they offer? Private? shared? EtcI toured UCDublin in person back in January- they told me that living accommodations for international students are guaranteed as long as you apply by a certain date. Typically, you apply through the UCD website, but you can live off campus if you find an accommodation. I was told that international students actually get better picking because they send out international acceptances before Irish acceptances (Irish students often don't know what uni they'll be attending until July/August).
HorseRacer
Full Member
Have you had an update yet for the VTS1 program admissions?It’s for the VT1 program (non-accelerated), I just clarified with staff.
Last edited:
Yes mine is tmrw and it will be for the 4 year, the VTS3Was your interview for the 4-year program?
HorseRacer
Full Member
Best of luck in your interview tomorrow!Yes mine is tmrw and it will be for the 4 year, the VTS3
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DressageEnthusiast
Liverpool c/o 2031
I really liked it! It's a nice distance from the city, where it's not overwhelmingly dense, but you still have easy access to the city, public transit, the airport, etc (I was told that your student ID also gets you discounted transit). I was also pleasantly surprised by how mild the weather was despite being significantly farther north than where I came from (New England). I was also impressed by their new science building- there seemed to be a lot more construction and development happening on campus compared to the American universities that I've been to in recent years. I unfortunately did not get to tour the dorms, Lyons farm, or the on-campus veterinary facilities, but I was told that most accommodations are private rooms with a shared bathroom of some kind. If I could have done my tour over again, I would have requested to meet with a current veterinary student or staff member since the veterinary facilities that my guide did try to get us into were card-locked.Did you like the campus when you toured? I haven’t had a chance yet to fly out and tour it. I’m waiting till things start to process before I do that.
Was there anything that stuck out to you about the vet school in particular?
HorseRacer
Full Member
Hello DressageEnthusiast,I really liked it! It's a nice distance from the city, where it's not overwhelmingly dense, but you still have easy access to the city, public transit, the airport, etc (I was told that your student ID also gets you discounted transit). I was also pleasantly surprised by how mild the weather was despite being significantly farther north than where I came from (New England). I was also impressed by their new science building- there seemed to be a lot more construction and development happening on campus compared to the American universities that I've been to in recent years. I unfortunately did not get to tour the dorms, Lyons farm, or the on-campus veterinary facilities, but I was told that most accommodations are private rooms with a shared bathroom of some kind. If I could have done my tour over again, I would have requested to meet with a current veterinary student or staff member since the veterinary facilities that my guide did try to get us into were card-locked.
Thanks for sharing your touring experience at UCD. I’m glad to here that the weather was fairly mild that’s a plus for me.
So do you happen to know if the school offers true private housing with private bath and laundry?
If not, do you happen to know what the process is like to securing a private rental?
Have you looked into driving over in Ireland and converting the American license to Irish? I’ve heard it’s quite a process but I most likely still will as it would be quite limiting to not drive and be able to explore freely.
mcfuturevet
Full Member
I don't have an answer for your other questions, but about the "exploring freely" part, Ireland is a country where it's really easy and affordable to travel, there's a lot of buses and trains, and like with the student discounts, it's real cheap (ex: bus from Dublin-Limerick, aka crossing all the way Ireland from East to West, is like less than €10). I was there for Spring '25 for an exchange semester and I managed to explore most of Ireland without a car. And even if you want to go some places where it's further and not easily accessible by public transport, most of the time when you make friends with Irish people, they're also eager to show you the place, and it's even more enjoyable that way.Hello DressageEnthusiast,
Thanks for sharing your touring experience at UCD. I’m glad to here that the weather was fairly mild that’s a plus for me.
So do you happen to know if the school offers true private housing with private bath and laundry?
If not, do you happen to know what the process is like to securing a private rental?
Have you looked into driving over in Ireland and converting the American license to Irish? I’ve heard it’s quite a process but I most likely still will as it would be quite limiting to not drive and be able to explore freely.
HorseRacer
Full Member
I should probably make mention that unlike the Irish kids coming into this program I’m older than them so I’ve been highly accustomed to driving.I don't have an answer for your other questions, but about the "exploring freely" part, Ireland is a country where it's really easy and affordable to travel, there's a lot of buses and trains, and like with the student discounts, it's real cheap (ex: bus from Dublin-Limerick, aka crossing all the way Ireland from East to West, is like less than €10). I was there for Spring '25 for an exchange semester and I managed to explore most of Ireland without a car. And even if you want to go some places where it's further and not easily accessible by public transport, most of the time when you make friends with Irish people, they're also eager to show you the place, and it's even more enjoyable that way.
Also, it’s more of a personal choice for my affinity to having private transportation.
HorseRacer
Full Member
Are there good grocery markets on/near the schools campus by chance?
I’m not so sure how the other vet students accommodate their eating.
I’m not so sure how the other vet students accommodate their eating.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 323
- Views
- 52K