DUI/OWI while in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khemdog

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is embarrassing but I’m going to keep it brief. I just became a DS3 this week after finishing my last final in DS2.

During DS2 year, I got pulled over and was charged with an OWI. Long story short, I got the charged dropped from an OWI to an OWVI (visibly impaired rather than intoxicated), which is 2 points less, but still a misdemeanor and still bad.

I already notified my school right when it happened, but now I just had to submit a background check for off-site rotations. It shows up on my background check.

Does anyone know if this will affect me seeing patients in clinic/off-site rotations in dental school? Also, does anyone know if this will affect me getting my license to practice? All answers and advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, does anyone know if this will affect me getting my license to practice?
A125C3B2-E480-448B-9D12-F3E3719CCB14.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I guess the biggest/soonest hurdle is when you apply for externships, they do the background check on you when you apply. OWI is definitely going to show up and when the your school requires to finish an externship it might affect your graduation requirements (my school required the externship to graduate)

And when you apply for licensing board this might get discussed as well which may limit you from getting state licensure. Thus limiting you to get a job when you graduate

Discuss your position with a lawyer and see if you can mitigate this from becoming bigger when you cannot have it to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reach directly to externships and dental board rather then listen to speculations
There are dentists who did much worse and still practice

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

This is embarrassing but I’m going to keep it brief. I just became a DS3 this week after finishing my last final in DS2.

During DS2 year, I got pulled over and was charged with an OWI. Long story short, I got the charged dropped from an OWI to an OWVI (visibly impaired rather than intoxicated), which is 2 points less, but still a misdemeanor and still bad.

I already notified my school right when it happened, but now I just had to submit a background check for off-site rotations. It shows up on my background check.

Does anyone know if this will affect me seeing patients in clinic/off-site rotations in dental school? Also, does anyone know if this will affect me getting my license to practice? All answers and advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nah, you just need to be honest. Honesty shows integrity and everyone has some lapse of judgment at some time. I have some colleagues with multiple DUIs and PIs and they're practicing just fine. Next time, get a good lawyer and don't let that stuff become public knowledge (google-able/searchable). If it does appear somewhere on the internet, DMCA it to hell. A good lawyer will either get it thrown out pretty quickly OR drag it out until it gets dismissed. Disclaimer: IANAL.

Your absolutely fine....my best friend in dental school got a DUI year one, never informed the dental school graduated on top ten OKU and now is a practicing orthodontist with licenses to practice in more than one state.

Hey everyone,

It won’t affect you getting a dental license but when you get to the questions about have you ever been charged with anything.. you have to select yes and provide supporting documentation that’s all.

Hey everyone,

Please please stop drinking and driving. With all these ride share apps out here this no excuse. Buzzed driving is still drunk driving. All in all you will be fine tho.

Reactions: 1 user