DUKE or Denver?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koala327

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've made a pro/con list of both and I know where I stand on this so I'm not looking for someone to tell me where to go, I'm looking for input from people who have either gotten into both or who have attended one or the other to offer any snidbits of advice or information that you think would be relevant? Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've made a pro/con list of both and I know where I stand on this so I'm not looking for someone to tell me where to go, I'm looking for input from people who have either gotten into both or who have attended one or the other to offer any snidbits of advice or information that you think would be relevant? Thank you!!!

Not really answering your question (sorry!) but: What was your impression of the Denver program? Did you end up going to the student meet-up on Friday? I was pretty impressed with what I saw from the tour, presentation, and talking to students/faculty. I did get the vibe that the program is pretty intense, maybe more so than some of the other programs I've visited (for at least part of the program, sounds like they're in class straight from 9-5)- but could have been the particular student I mostly talked to. Heard a lot of good things though, would love to hear what your pluses/minuses for Denver were. Some of my pluses were:
-Faculty constantly taking student feedback
-Hands-on/service learning opportunities (Dawn Clinic, Stout St Clinic, CAPE, etc)
-24 hr access to facilities like library and cadaver labs
-Inclusion of curriculum re: patient psychosocial issues/motivational interviewing
-High first time licensure exam pass rates
-Financial aid other than just loans (scholarships, grant aid, work-study opportunities, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Not really answering your question (sorry!) but: What was your impression of the Denver program? Did you end up going to the student meet-up on Friday? I was pretty impressed with what I saw from the tour, presentation, and talking to students/faculty. I did get the vibe that the program is pretty intense, maybe more so than some of the other programs I've visited (for at least part of the program, sounds like they're in class straight from 9-5)- but could have been the particular student I mostly talked to. Heard a lot of good things though, would love to hear what your pluses/minuses for Denver were. Some of my pluses were:
-Faculty constantly taking student feedback
-Hands-on/service learning opportunities (Dawn Clinic, Stout St Clinic, CAPE, etc)
-24 hr access to facilities like library and cadaver labs
-Inclusion of curriculum re: patient psychosocial issues/motivational interviewing
-High first time licensure exam pass rates
-Financial aid other than just loans (scholarships, grant aid, work-study opportunities, etc)

All of your pluses are on my Pro list for Denver :) I was very impressed by the Denver program. What I don't understand is why Denver doesn't carry more of the repuation? From what I saw, they are definitely up there with some of the top rated programs - not that ratings mean much at all, but that part still puzzles me.

I didn't go to the social meet-up, but I have friends who went through the program recently, so I've had plenty of opportunities to speak with them about the program.

My two concerns: FINANCIAL differences between the programs and LEARNING styles (Duke is way more team-based learning, use online/video lectures versus classroom based lectures (which may or may not allow for more time to discuss case studies, etc...) ).

I'm dying trying to make the decision, but I am grateful I have options!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I was planning on doing the DPT/PhD route at CU, so I'm fairly "close" with a lot of professors/ students. I had an interview with CU, which I declined due to personal reasons. I visited with a student who currently attends DUKE who's decision was also DUKE or CU. Her words were "Both schools are great, but it's freaking DUKE!" I can send you the students info if you'd like!

Hi!

I was planning on doing the DPT/PhD route at CU, so I'm fairly "close" with a lot of professors/ students. I had an interview with CU, which I declined due to personal reasons. I visited with a student who currently attends DUKE who's decision was also DUKE or CU. Her words were "Both schools are great, but it's freaking DUKE!" I can send you the students info if you'd like!

HAHA I understand it's freaking Duke. That's hilarious though. Was it Anne that you spoke to? Because if it was, she told me the same thing.

I'm really going back and forth because I feel like my learning style fits better with how CU conducts it's program, but Duke carries a lot more of the reputation. But when it comes down to it, I would be in a much better financial situation coming out of school if I went with CU and I would still come out with a DPT. I'm willing to work my butt of to pay off debt and maybe do some sort of loan forgiveness program in NC.

It's really killing my soul trying to decide :shrug:

If you feel like you're going to learn better at CU, then wouldn't that make it a better choice? Look around the forum and you will see the exact same answer for every one of these questions: Having a specific school on your diploma means nothing. Go to the cheaper school and/or where you will learn best so that you pass the exam and not come out with an enormous amount of debt. It would be a tougher decision if you were accepted into both and didn't like CU for some reason, but it sounds like you do.

HAHA I understand it's freaking Duke. That's hilarious though. Was it Anne that you spoke to? Because if it was, she told me the same thing.

I'm really going back and forth because I feel like my learning style fits better with how CU conducts it's program, but Duke carries a lot more of the reputation. But when it comes down to it, I would be in a much better financial situation coming out of school if I went with CU and I would still come out with a DPT. I'm willing to work my butt of to pay off debt and maybe do some sort of loan forgiveness program in NC.

It's really killing my soul trying to decide :shrug:
It was Anne! You will eventually pay back your loan regardless. I'd say where do you see yourself living in the future?

It was Anne! You will eventually pay back your loan regardless. I'd say where do you see yourself living in the future?

I definitely see myself living in Colorado, but that could change! One of my biggest reasons for wanting to go out of state is for a new/growing experience. I've been in CO my entire life and want to experience something else. Not that I couldn't have the opportunity to do that during one of my clinicals or to pick up a job in NC once I graduate....

I definitely see myself living in Colorado, but that could change! One of my biggest reasons for wanting to go out of state is for a new/growing experience. I've been in CO my entire life and want to experience something else. Not that I couldn't have the opportunity to do that during one of my clinicals or to pick up a job in NC once I graduate....
That's exactly why I'm choosing to go out of state as well to UW. I wish you the best with your decision!

That's exactly why I'm choosing to go out of state as well to UW. I wish you the best with your decision!

Thank you, but right now I'm having a really hard time justifying an ~$70K difference after everything has been taken into account. There aren't just that many more pros to Duke than to Denver! Other than those who have been saying, "BUT IT'S DUKE!!!" Hahaha

Thank you, but right now I'm having a really hard time justifying an ~$70K difference after everything has been taken into account. There aren't just that many more pros to Duke than to Denver! Other than those who have been saying, "BUT IT'S DUKE!!!" Hahaha

I had the same thoughts when I was deciding last year between Duke and the school I am at now. Overall I think my difference was close to $90-100k between the two schools. There is no way to justify paying that much more for the same degree. Yes, 'IT'S DUKE!!', but it is also an expensive, private school that will cause you to be in debt for much longer when you are receiving the same exact degree. I wanted to go to Duke for the reputation too, but I just couldn't attend because I knew I'd set myself up for a more stressful future where I'd have to be saving more money to repay loans than I would like to. Just my thoughts!

Reactions: 1 users