• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Duke SOM Countdown

Entol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
    I heard decisions are mailed out first week of march last time I called and on the "6th of March" when I called two times ago. If anyone calls more recently, please post :) I'd love to know when the official mail out date is.

-Entol

About the Ads

TheFlash

Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 20, 2003
    The City of Blinding Lights
      Originally posted by spumoni620
      damn. this is one school where a post-interview rejection will really hurt. oh well. i better start waiting for mine. :(

Ok, here's a deal for ya, spu. If I get accepted, then I'll gladly trade you my acceptance for that full scholarship you've got. Deal? :p

Best of luck to all those who are waiting. I sincerely hope all y'all get in. :clap: :)

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Nov 24, 2002
        Originally posted by spumoni620
        *random thought*

haha gleevec....i like your new avatar....now you don't look asian anymore ;)

sorry guys, carry on :D

haha yup, i am in fact asian. this is just a new pasttime of mine, watching terry tate office linebacker videos off of reebok's site.

About the Ads

spidermonkey11

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 29, 2003
        Jersey
          so theoretically, someone who interviewed in october and someone who interviewed in december should be getting decision letters around the same time (early march) or do people who interview a little later have to wait like a couple extra weeks? Cause if i dont get something in the mail first week or so in march im gonna go nuts. It's bad enough how much I check my mail already.

oh, and is the decision sent out through email or snail mail first?

ATPase

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jul 14, 2003
          Bham
          1. Medical Student
            I'm also waiting, but I'm not too hopeful about my chances. They told us 900 people would be interviewed (and I interviewed in late January.) But that's okay...I can face the rejection. +pity+

periodic

7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 28, 2003
              Originally posted by spidermonkey11
              so theoretically, someone who interviewed in october and someone who interviewed in december should be getting decision letters around the same time (early march) or do people who interview a little later have to wait like a couple extra weeks? Cause if i dont get something in the mail first week or so in march im gonna go nuts. It's bad enough how much I check my mail already.

oh, and is the decision sent out through email or snail mail first?

I am pretty sure everyone hears at the same time, whether you interviewed in January or October. Don't know about email or snail mail - anyone have an idea?

omores

sleep deprived
              10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Jul 3, 2000
              Seattle
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                In previous years (and I have no reason to think this year will be different), decisions have gone out in 2-3 batches. The majority of them go out in the first batch, which is usually in early March. A minority goes out in the next batch, which is two weeks later. There may even be a tiny third batch for stragglers.

From what I can tell, the time that your application file is complete determines what batch you're in. Keep in mind that this includes the reports from your interviewers, and that will be the rate-limiting step -- some interviewers are much faster at getting paperwork in than others.

Duke will try to call the newly accepts, but in previous years there have been only a few people making phone calls to 100+ people, so it has taken a few days, and some folks reported that they never got a call. Not sure if they'll use e-mail this year to notify as well. And from what I hear, they won't give a decision on the status page (there was a nasty glitch a few years ago).

Best of luck to all!

About the Ads

Entol

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Jun 10, 2003
                  Are you certain banana because when I called two weeks ago, their answer was the end of the first week of March. I would be really surprised if it wasn't in March... but sooner is better than later, so I really hope you're right!! :clap:

Originally posted by banannie
                  First (and largest) batch of decisions are being sent out on Friday
                  Second batch, for those who interviewed recently, get sent out in a week or two.

Omores, congratulations, by the way! Your baby is ADORABLE!!!

spumoni620

.:good girl down:.
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Apr 18, 2003
                  At the starting line
                  www.seekinghealthmd.blogspot.com
                  1. Attending Physician
                    Originally posted by TheFlash
                    Ok, here's a deal for ya, spu. If I get accepted, then I'll gladly trade you my acceptance for that full scholarship you've got. Deal? :p

Best of luck to all those who are waiting. I sincerely hope all y'all get in. :clap: :)

:laugh: yes, i am pretty thankful for my current situation, withdrew from most other schools in a heartbeat...but i :love: duke as much as my top choice right now...had a great day there and love the program...so i can't help but hope. :)

*sigh*

omores

sleep deprived
                    10+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Jul 3, 2000
                    Seattle
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      Irish and others: alas, it's hard to give you an absulutely accurate answer to your question. Duke always aims to get the first batch out at the very end of February (i.e., THIS Friday). However in previous years there has sometimes been a last-minute delay of a few days, which would put it into next week. If I'm able to pop by the admissions office this week, I'll give you the latest.

Originally posted by banannie
                      Omores, congratulations, by the way! Your baby is ADORABLE!!!
                      Merci! 8 weeks old today. She's hanging out on my lap right now, smiling in her sleep. I'm planning to show her off at Second Look Weekend next month!

About the Ads

omores

sleep deprived
                      10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Jul 3, 2000
                      Seattle
                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                        Just dropped by the admissions office today, and can confirm that the letters will go out "sometime next week", though they don't know exactly what day. They're still interviewing folks today and tomorrow!

They'll likely be phoning acceptees, but they haven't coordinated that yet, so no guarantees.

I'll post again with updates when I have them.

secretmiss

7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Feb 18, 2004
                          I can't take this wait any longer...

I loved Duke and would give anything to go there

Sorry this post isn't more interesting, I just wanted it to be back on the first page of threads :)

What is everyone else thinking about Duke right now?

Entol

7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Jun 10, 2003
                            I'm curious about the waitlist movement at Duke. Anyone know if it is fairly active? I can't imagine many people being accepted here and really not wanting to go, but still, worth a shot!

-Entol

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.