Duke SOM Countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let it begin :)

CCW

Members don't see this ad.

I heard decisions are mailed out first week of march last time I called and on the "6th of March" when I called two times ago. If anyone calls more recently, please post :) I'd love to know when the official mail out date is.

-Entol

Yup, hoping to hear from them soon. Hopefully no false positives this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll throw my hat into this wait. However, I've heard that they're notorious for rejecting a lot of interviewees post-interview. :(

damn. this is one school where a post-interview rejection will really hurt. oh well. i better start waiting for mine. :(

They interview something like 900+ ppl but they send out only 180 acceptences for a class of 100. I'm not holding my breath that I'll be one of the lucky few honestly.

Apparently a lot of people get off the waitlist as well.

*random thought*

haha gleevec....i like your new avatar....now you don't look asian anymore ;)

sorry guys, carry on :D

Originally posted by spumoni620
*random thought*

I was thinking the same thing. :D I thought that Gleevec guy was an Asian dude.

damn. this is one school where a post-interview rejection will really hurt. oh well. i better start waiting for mine. :(

Ok, here's a deal for ya, spu. If I get accepted, then I'll gladly trade you my acceptance for that full scholarship you've got. Deal? :p

Best of luck to all those who are waiting. I sincerely hope all y'all get in. :clap: :)

is it really 900+ interviews?

When I was at Duke in October, they said they were only going to interview 800 applicants. Did anyone else hear that from the admissions people?

*random thought*

haha yup, i am in fact asian. this is just a new pasttime of mine, watching terry tate office linebacker videos off of reebok's site.

Members don't see this ad :)
The waiting is killing me....geez

so theoretically, someone who interviewed in october and someone who interviewed in december should be getting decision letters around the same time (early march) or do people who interview a little later have to wait like a couple extra weeks? Cause if i dont get something in the mail first week or so in march im gonna go nuts. It's bad enough how much I check my mail already.

oh, and is the decision sent out through email or snail mail first?

I'm also waiting, but I'm not too hopeful about my chances. They told us 900 people would be interviewed (and I interviewed in late January.) But that's okay...I can face the rejection. +pity+

Originally posted by spidermonkey11
so theoretically, someone who interviewed in october and someone who interviewed in december should be getting decision letters around the same time (early march) or do people who interview a little later have to wait like a couple extra weeks? Cause if i dont get something in the mail first week or so in march im gonna go nuts. It's bad enough how much I check my mail already.

oh, and is the decision sent out through email or snail mail first?

I am pretty sure everyone hears at the same time, whether you interviewed in January or October. Don't know about email or snail mail - anyone have an idea?

I heard it is mail and sometimes they have current students call to tell you the good news, but not all of the time.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear from Duke. I would love to go there, and the wait is driving me insane, so I think I'll try to forget about the "countdown" and just see what happens when I receive a decision.

In previous years (and I have no reason to think this year will be different), decisions have gone out in 2-3 batches. The majority of them go out in the first batch, which is usually in early March. A minority goes out in the next batch, which is two weeks later. There may even be a tiny third batch for stragglers.

From what I can tell, the time that your application file is complete determines what batch you're in. Keep in mind that this includes the reports from your interviewers, and that will be the rate-limiting step -- some interviewers are much faster at getting paperwork in than others.

Duke will try to call the newly accepts, but in previous years there have been only a few people making phone calls to 100+ people, so it has taken a few days, and some folks reported that they never got a call. Not sure if they'll use e-mail this year to notify as well. And from what I hear, they won't give a decision on the status page (there was a nasty glitch a few years ago).

Best of luck to all!

Originally posted by clowne
...the wait is driving me insane, so I think I'll try to forget about the "countdown" and just see what happens when I receive a decision.

Oh, how I envy the strong willed!

First (and largest) batch of decisions are being sent out on Friday
Second batch, for those who interviewed recently, get sent out in a week or two.

Omores, congratulations, by the way! Your baby is ADORABLE!!!

you mean friday 3/5? did you call them and get this information?

This Friday??? Ahhh

Should we expect calls?

How many acceptances do they offer right offer initially before waitlist movement starts?

Are you certain banana because when I called two weeks ago, their answer was the end of the first week of March. I would be really surprised if it wasn't in March... but sooner is better than later, so I really hope you're right!! :clap:

Originally posted by banannie
First (and largest) batch of decisions are being sent out on Friday
Second batch, for those who interviewed recently, get sent out in a week or two.

Originally posted by TheFlash
Ok, here's a deal for ya, spu. If I get accepted, then I'll gladly trade you my acceptance for that full scholarship you've got. Deal? :p

Best of luck to all those who are waiting. I sincerely hope all y'all get in. :clap: :)

:laugh: yes, i am pretty thankful for my current situation, withdrew from most other schools in a heartbeat...but i :love: duke as much as my top choice right now...had a great day there and love the program...so i can't help but hope. :)

*sigh*

Originally posted by spidermonkey11
you mean friday 3/5? did you call them and get this information?

i think she goes to duke.

Forgive me for being confused, but this is one of my two "biggies" and i''m already loosing sleep...

When is the most likely first mailing by Duke?

Cheers

Irish and others: alas, it's hard to give you an absulutely accurate answer to your question. Duke always aims to get the first batch out at the very end of February (i.e., THIS Friday). However in previous years there has sometimes been a last-minute delay of a few days, which would put it into next week. If I'm able to pop by the admissions office this week, I'll give you the latest.

Originally posted by banannie
Merci! 8 weeks old today. She's hanging out on my lap right now, smiling in her sleep. I'm planning to show her off at Second Look Weekend next month!

somehow, it only just occured to me how close early-mid march is... and all of a sudden I'm nervous again...

the time has finally come to see what our fate is! I can't wait but I am so nervous. Is there confirmation that Duke does intend to send out letters this Friday?

I think I'm going to need a barf bag. Damn you Coops, and damn this countdown as well. :scared:

i emailed the student i stayed with at duke and he said letters should go out next wednesday (week from today). so it looks like just a bit over a week of waiting left to go

I think I'm going to need a barf bag. Damn you Coops, and damn this countdown as well. :scared:

:cool:

I just wanted to whip up some excitement for Durham. :)

CCW

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
:cool:

I just wanted to whip up some excitement for Durham. :)

CCW

Lord knows we need it.

Thanks to Coops and everyone trying to give us a best chance date for the letters. Whoah momma, quite a week.

Just dropped by the admissions office today, and can confirm that the letters will go out "sometime next week", though they don't know exactly what day. They're still interviewing folks today and tomorrow!

They'll likely be phoning acceptees, but they haven't coordinated that yet, so no guarantees.

I'll post again with updates when I have them.

when I get the letter I am probably going to have to have someone else open it for me. I will be too nervous!

I can't take this wait any longer...

I loved Duke and would give anything to go there

Sorry this post isn't more interesting, I just wanted it to be back on the first page of threads :)

What is everyone else thinking about Duke right now?

It is going to be a long weekend...

BUMP.

i guess we should hear this week. I think i'd cry of joy if i got into duke.

*gulp*. So for sure it's this Wednesday? I don't want to agonize!

-Entol

I'm curious about the waitlist movement at Duke. Anyone know if it is fairly active? I can't imagine many people being accepted here and really not wanting to go, but still, worth a shot!

-Entol

Originally posted by Entol
*gulp*. So for sure it's this Wednesday? I don't want to agonize!

-Entol

I am starting to get a little anxious myself.

I'm waiting for someone to post the daily reassurance that they went by the office and know that it will be sent on XX... damn this wait.

Just got a package from Duke in the mail today with some good news

congrats!!! Did you get a call too?

When is it postmarked? Where do you leave?

:clap: Awesome superk, now the mail checking may begin.

Congradulations superk! (mandatory jumping guy = :clap: )