Duke SOM Countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got back from Spring Break today and was greeted by the alternate list....

Is that the same as the waitlist?

Any idea of what kinda movement this thing has at Duke?

Boo

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected finally. Took the mail 5 days to get from NC to NYC. F...ers why invite me for an interview late the second to last week of interviews and not even waitlist me. It is a waste of my bloody time. If I reapply before I go to any interviews I'm going to ask the people if I have a "real" chance of being accepted before I accept any interview offers.

got my waitlist today, think it was lost in the mail though
dang, wanted an acceptance...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for all you lucky Duke Acceptees,
Have a good time at second look this coming weekend and please keep us alternates posted on what went on, what they say (like how many people were accepted outright) and your general impressions of what the other students seemed to think....like are they Duke all the way or swaying more towards some Ivy League School... Thanks and have Fun!

As someone who's been through the whole waitlist ordeal with Duke, perhaps I can help answer some of your questions. I was on the waitlist for most of the summer and ended up being accepted only a couple weeks before classes started! I'm currently a 2nd year student.

First, the "alternate list" is the same thing as the "waitlist." Duke seems to prefer the former term for some reason. Unfortunately, Duke has historically had a policy of not telling students where they rank on the list. In fact, they refuse to even tell you if you're in the top or bottom half! Another interesting thing about Duke's alternate list is that it's supposedly "firmly ranked," meaning that showing interest, sending letters, etc. apparently will not change your standing on the list. I still did some of that anyway though, figuring it couldn't hurt to show interest.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how long Duke's waitlist is, but if I remember correctly I heard at one point that it's at least 100 or so applicants long. Unfortunately the number of students accepted from the list varies quite a bit from year to year, and will depend in part on how many applicants were accepted up front. In my class of 100 I think there are around 10 or so of us who were accepted from the waitlist. But remember, that likely means offers were made to more than just 10 people on the list, because some refuse due to already having other plans.

I posted a lot about the finer details of this stuff during that summer of 2002, so if you do a search for posts by me you'll probably find some more information. I've forgotten most of the numbers now. Anyway, I hope this stuff is helpful!

-Tom :)

Hey thanks for the info, it's encouraging. I have definitely read alot of your previous posts already but I never realized you got in after the whole ordeal :)

My question though, if the Duke waitlist is firmly ranked, why then does Duke ask you on the reply form to note if Duke is your number one choice? That would seems to sugest to me that in fact Duke does take into account your interest in Duke when extending acceptances.

182 acceptances or thereabouts were given outright. 20 people or so come off the waitlist, although about 40 offers are made from this. This was what I was told/my impression after second look weekend.

CCW

PS ~90 people ("second lookers") were at the weekend, not including spouses, other med students in attendances and parents.

Originally posted by secretmiss
My question though, if the Duke waitlist is firmly ranked, why then does Duke ask you on the reply form to note if Duke is your number one choice? That would seems to sugest to me that in fact Duke does take into account your interest in Duke when extending acceptances.

You're right, that does seem pretty strange. I don't remember them doing that 2 years ago, but it's definitely possible that I've forgotten about it. I only remember having to send back a card regarding whether or not I wanted to remain on the alternate list. I certainly hope you're right though...I'd rather see the people who REALLY want to be here get accepted! :)

Can anyone else confirm that Duke typically waitlists 100 people and of this number as many as 40 of them eventually get accepted? If that's the case, then waitlisted people have a decent chance at entry. Does anyone know what is the latest possible date Duke would pull people off the waitlist? I'm looking to buy a house at the school I intend to go to if Duke doesn't accept me and I was planning to close near end of June. If I close and Duke accepts me, I will be pissed. +pissed+

Originally posted by oldtimer
Can anyone else confirm that Duke typically waitlists 100 people and of this number as many as 40 of them eventually get accepted? If that's the case, then waitlisted people have a decent chance at entry. Does anyone know what is the latest possible date Duke would pull people off the waitlist? I'm looking to buy a house at the school I intend to go to if Duke doesn't accept me and I was planning to close near end of June. If I close and Duke accepts me, I will be pissed. +pissed+

My host, told me this. I know for heresay fact about 180 people or so got in. I was told this by several students. PM Omores, she is a 3rd year at Duke and would probably be an awesome resource. Also, tell her how sweet her hat is.

CCW

I'm somewhat skeptical of that 100 waitlist number. That seems very low. If Duke interviews around 970 people and accepts outright 180, that leaves around 800 people. While several people on SDN have been rejected, many more have been put on the waitlist. Although SDN may not be representative of the actual waitlist, I would think that at least half or more, around 400 people, are on that waitlist. Of that group, around 20-40 people may be given acceptances. Not very favorable odds, IMHO.

I seriously hope you are wrong about the 400 people being on the waitlist. I think if they offer 180 spots to fill 100 spots right from the beginning, Duke is going to fill the majority of its class. It doesn't need 400 people on a waitlist to fill 10, maybe 20, seats in their class. From what I can tell, some schools that typically take half their class off the waitlist, don't even put 400 people on the waitlist.

I would think that 100 is already too high a number. the class itself is already 100 ppl and they initially accepted 180. A waitlist of 50 I think would be sufficient. It's kinda cruel to have so many on the waitlist (400) with basically no chance of getting in....might as well reject and give them closure.

I know that the letter says not to call about the alternate list but has anyone called Duke anyway to ask about your position on the waitlist or about the status of the waitlist in general?

I said I had heard that the list was AT LEAST 100 or so long...I don't know for sure if it's more or less than that. It could definitely be much longer.

Oldtimer, regarding how late they accept people, I got in around mid-July, when classes started August 5th, and I heard that one of my classmates was accepted August 1st or 2nd, literally 3 or 4 days before classes started!

And I know that lots of people have called about the waitlist in the past, but I've NEVER heard of anyone who actually got an answer about whether they were even in the top half!