Duke SOM Countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i shouldve asked the lady to clarify, but i didnt think about it at the time. she just said that they will be sending out "decisions" all this week. but it seems not many if any have gotten rejected/waitlisted, so i have no idea. all i know is that im not giving out hope til next monday.

Members don't see this ad.

I've given up hope. Can someone please explain to me why they interview so many people? I just feel like it was a complete waste of my time and money. It just got me excited and interested in the school when they "knew" that they were not going to accept me any way. I don't buy the crap that they want to interview a lot of people because they don't know who they want to admitt. I'm sure they can tell 75-80% who they are going to accept before they ever interiew.

The admissions office appears to be sending everything out over the course of a week, rather than doing in in batches as it has in previous years. I can't tell you if all the acceptances went out first; I don't have that info (sorry).

jjmack: I'm sorry about the stress. It's a horrible process, I know. And I agree that schools interview too many students -- it gets both exhausting and expensive. I wish more schools offered regional interviews. I interviewed regionally for Duke 3 years ago, but nobody seems to be mentioning that option this year. Was it not offered?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you still waiting to hear, what are your stats like?

How evil is this?

I live in Durham (I'm a Duke employee) and checked my mail upon getting home last night.

There was this big ol' envelope from Duke addressed to me. Naturally, I got excited.

Do you KNOW what it was? Stupid information about my health benefits!

ouch, that is a burn. aren't you going to columbia anyway?

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
ouch, that is a burn. aren't you going to columbia anyway?

This is the question of the day. Money is a big deal to me... so I don't want to withdraw any applications at this point.

Did anyone get any mail today? So far it seems like they only sent out some acceptances on Feb. 27th, but nothing since...

Keep posting if you hear anything!

Originally posted by SarahGM
This is the question of the day. Money is a big deal to me... so I don't want to withdraw any applications at this point.

Wait, I thought you had sent a letter of intent to Columbia? :confused:

Originally posted by Halfmoon
Did anyone get any mail today? So far it seems like they only sent out some acceptances on Feb. 27th, but nothing since...

Keep posting if you hear anything!

Nope, nothing here either. +pity+

Originally posted by TheFlash
Wait, I thought you had sent a letter of intent to Columbia? :confused:

Intending to go if it's financially viable!

Y'all are like vultures!

Members don't see this ad :)
did we ever get confirmation that all acceptances were sent out at the same time scattered throughout the week?

Y'all are like vultures!

Can you do that in a Letter of Intent, say you'll only go based on the financial package and what other schools offer? That's cool, I wish I had known that.

Y'all are like vultures!

word.

So here is the latest rumor from the Duke admissions office (according to a friend of mine who called):

Duke has NOT sent out all of their acceptances and will send out all, or nearly all, letters (acceptances, waitlists, and rejections) tomorrow.

Here is to hoping for good news early next week!

Thanks for the update :) I just hope I'm not in the reject pile. I really think the duke system clicks with my interests.

Do you know if those are for LATE interviewees (the acceptances yet to be mailed out) or just random ones they weren't quite sure on yet?

Y'all are like vultures!

Um, sorry if that came off as vulturish, but since when can you send an LOI pending financial considerations? I should just send one of those out to all the schools I'm waiting for.

Um, sorry if that came off as vulturish, but since when can you send an LOI pending financial considerations? I should just send one of those out to all the schools I'm waiting for.

Okay everyone, let's clarify once and for all about the letter I sent to *Columbia*, even though this is a *Duke* thread...

My letter to Columbia stated that it was my top choice in med schools. Nothing more.

Is everyone happy? Can everyone rest soundly now knowing this? Not to sound snarfy, but really!

Do you know if those are for LATE interviewees (the acceptances yet to be mailed out) or just random ones they weren't quite sure on yet?

The impression my friend got was that the majority of acceptances have not gone out yet. To me this makes sense given the small number of SDN acceptees. I just hope it's true, and I am not spreading false hope!

Is everyone happy? Can everyone rest soundly now knowing this?

Yes. And if you don't want people to question your ethics, then you shouldn't post about them. Jesus H. :rolleyes:

Vaccine,

Here is to hoping..

Thanks for the update.

CCW

Yes. And if you don't want people to question your ethics, then you shouldn't post about them. Jesus H. :rolleyes:

This thread has too much negative energy.

Peace out all. Good luck.

Originally posted by Vaccine
So here is the latest rumor from the Duke admissions office (according to a friend of mine who called):

Duke has NOT sent out all of their acceptances and will send out all, or nearly all, letters (acceptances, waitlists, and rejections) tomorrow.

Here is to hoping for good news early next week!

Thanks vaccine youre awesome!

The impression my friend got was that the majority of acceptances have not gone out yet. To me this makes sense given the small number of SDN acceptees. I just hope it's true, and I am not spreading false hope!

*wipes brow* Whew, thanks for the info bro. Good luck y'all to everyone that's still waiting! :)

now thats a nice piece of news. maybe i can still entertain that little part of me that's still sayin' maybemaybemaybe tomorrow...

Question:
A friend of mine got into into Duke earlier this week. BAscially, we are very similar people on paper... both white, same sex, from same state, out of staters at a very good southern University, school, same major (and not your traditonal bio or chem), very similar extracurricluar activities, i have a slightly higher GPA while my friend has a 1 point higher MCAT. Granted we would have came across differently at interviews, I am confident, that accepting both of us would do little for diversity. Should I give up hope in getting an acceptance since she got in?

:(

Thoughts?

Originally posted by secretmiss
Question:
A friend of mine got into into Duke earlier this week. BAscially, we are very similar people on paper... both white, same sex, from same state, out of staters at a very good southern University, school, same major (and not your traditonal bio or chem), very similar extracurricluar activities, i have a slightly higher GPA while my friend has a 1 point higher MCAT. Granted we would have came across differently at interviews, I am confident, that accepting both of us would do little for diversity. Should I give up hope in getting an acceptance since she got in?

Thoughts?

Southern, capitalizing University, must be UVA.:rolleyes:

Question:

Thoughts?

are you guys the same person? no; even if you did the same stuff; same state; whatever. have you had the same life experiences /motivations /aspirations? hmm... you shouldn't give up hope. if you were really worried about this those things should have served to separate you by the interview stage. sometimes it's those things (life experience /motivation/ aspirations/ outside interests) that separate us the most, since we take the same classes and get the same-ish MCAT scores, don't you think?

hang in there!

Question:

Thoughts?

Every individual is unique, so because someone similar to you was admitted certainly doesn't mean that you won't be yourself. After all, most pre-meds are very similar if you think about it. After a certain point, everyone's got clinical experience, volunteer activities, research, great grades and scores, etc. Even with all this similarity, admissions people have their own ways of choosing students they, and the interview impression of yours is yours alone. Much of the admissions process depends on a bit of randomness too, so all we can do is keep our heads high and hope for the best. Good luck, and don't let this process get you down, secretmiss.

so, does your status page change after you've been accepted?

and....BUMP

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
so, does your status page change after you've been accepted?

and....BUMP

status page stays the same - they say they don't give out final decision info there.

Just called the Duke admissions office a little while ago and the lady who answered said that they would be mailing out more decision letters next week.

--Rager1

If you didn't receive the second-look e-mail that some people are talking about, does this mean you haven't been accepted? Has everyone who has received an acceptance letter also received this e-mail.

Is there anyone who DID NOT receive an acceptance letter but did receive the e-mail?

I'm e-mail-less and letterless :-( Good luck with the applications! :clap:

-Entol

I'm just guessing, but since people who know more than I do say that they haven't sent out all acceptances. I think only people who have already received an acceptance letter will receive a second look e-mail. Who knows maybe I'm just holding out hope.

i know that last year duke had current students contact everyone who had gotten 5's (top score) on all aspects of their application, before sending notification to all accepted applicants.

maybe (hopefully!) this year, the first batch of acceptances and emails were for the superstars and the rest of the acceptances will go out along with waitlists and rejections.

also got a second-look letter in the mail yesterday postmarked 3/1; it said the same thing the 2ndlook website does; and that if you hadn't heard anything by email (about second look) to call them immediately

Has anyone (in the NC area probably) heard anything today since they supposedly sent letters out on Friday?

what is this second-look email? :confused:

Originally posted by Entol
If you didn't receive the second-look e-mail that some people are talking about, does this mean you haven't been accepted? Has everyone who has received an acceptance letter also received this e-mail.

Is there anyone who DID NOT receive an acceptance letter but did receive the e-mail?

I'm e-mail-less and letterless :-( Good luck with the applications! :clap:

-Entol

i haven't gotten a second look email or letter. i'm afraid my eyes will never get a second look at DUMC.

buh-ZUMP

Any news, y'all?

So, while I was at work on Friday I got a phone call from a 919 area code. I didn't answer it (figure it wouldn't be the best thing to do while talking to my boss) and whoever called didn't leave a message. Having no idea where such a code was, I did a quick google search to find out that was from Durham, NC. A quick look on SDN and I found this thread which said that Duke was sending out letters that day. Yeah, imagine how I felt...if only I would have answered that phone. I couldn't think, couldn't function..pardon the term, but I think it was the worst case of premed blue balls a person could imagine

After a night out trying to forget the crazy anxiety of the day, my parents woke me up Saturday afternoon with a phone call telling me that I got a letter at home addressed to the future Dr. Bobbo from Duke University...

Also, the letter came to Ohio and I have not yet received anything about a second look yet

wow, congrats coops!!

(now, please withdraw from P&S :p )

congrats coops!! did you get it today? (postmarked friday??)