dumb hpsp questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalboi

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my apologies in advance if these are dumb questions, but I wanted to learn more about the dental HPSP scholarship. I am currently a D1 and was interested in joining for the next 3 years (and then serving for 3 years). I have listed my questions below, thank you for your help!

1) My ultimate goal is to eventually open my own private practice, however, I have no background or knowledge on business. While working for the military, will I be able to gain any insight on how to run a practice/the business end of dentistry (like I would if I worked at a regular practice) or will it basically just be like a "factory"?

2) Where can I find more information on specializing? (I am unsure if I want to specialize but I would like to keep the option open, is it extra difficult to specialize while in the military and does it differ by branch? (i.e. as of now I think ortho is interesting to me, but of course, I won't know until I am actually in clinic))

3) Connected to the last question, how do I decide which branch I want to be a part of, and is there a resource I can use to read more information on this? (i.e. where I could be stationed, chances of specializing, overall experience from past HPSP students, etc.)

4) I was just curious because I hear mixed answers for this one, but since you are receiving O3 pay, what does that make your salary? According to Google, it is less than 60k a year, but I was talking to someone else who said you get at least 80k. Would someone please clarify which is correct?

5) And before even worrying about any of that, is it even possible for me to get in? I did well in undergrad and had about a 3.85 GPA but performed very average on the DAT (21 AA), furthermore, I am currently on Block 1, Semester 1 of my D1 year, and I am not doing well in one of my classes and will definitely finish with a C, the first in my life, or even possibly remediate based on how the final goes, which I am praying does not happen. Furthermore, I am in shape, but pretty weak overall because I am vegetarian (as in I only bench around 100 lbs as a 5'10" male lol). Based on this information, is it likely that I will even be accepted into an HPHP Scholarship program?

Thank you all so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You really should reach out to a recruiter, three year scholarships are more time sensitive and they will know what’s available.

You need to be honest with yourself about why you’re looking to join. If you’re wanting to own a practice or pursue ortho then at best you’ll just find your service fulfilling but a professional waste of time, at worse you’ll be miserable and professionally handicapping yourself.

1. No, no business insight, shockingly inefficient

2. A recruiter should be able to provide stats but it’s easy to get an AEGD, easier than civilian to get OMS, about average for endo. If you’re looking for ortho just consider it won’t happen. Unless you know someone or are a military superstar you will have completed your obligation before you have a real chance at getting accepted

3. Talk to a recruiter from each branch

4. Your pay will depend on where you’re located but will be around $90k/yr. Google the specifics for whatever zip code the base you want to estimate is for BAH (housing), the O3 pay, a $20k annual dental bonus, and BAS (food allowance)

5. Talk to a recruiter. While that doesn’t sound competitive they will know for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year only individuals placed in the waitlist for the for year scholarships for Army and Navy were eligible for three year scholarships. The three year scholarships this year are apparently following the same route. AF offers three year scholarships to anyone that wants to apply. The deadline is probably fast approaching. The average DAT for navy was 23 last year (class of 2025) AF will be just as competitive if not more competitive. GL

I would consider all options, Army, Navy, AF, and reserve. It's gotten so competitive you're not going to simply get your preferred branch. For specializing I would ask people who have done it. ZD26 said mostly what I've read and been told. For business, I think you'll get that mostly on your own time. I don't get the vibe that military dentists are doing too much hustle on the side. Many dental practices love hiring veterans though! It's a great networking tool. I'm on the scholarship you can message me

Many dental practices love hiring veterans though! It's a great networking tool.
Yes and no on this one. It is a great networking and marketing tool. A lot of people love the fact that their dentist was in the military.
In terms of hiring veterans - I've heard the contrary. The procedure mix and timeline that lots of General/63A dentists do is not a solid preparation for private practice. 4 years of experience in the military is very different from 4 years of experience in private practice.

Yes and no on this one. It is a great networking and marketing tool. A lot of people love the fact that their dentist was in the military.
In terms of hiring veterans - I've heard the contrary. The procedure mix and timeline that lots of General/63A dentists do is not a solid preparation for private practice. 4 years of experience in the military is very different from 4 years of experience in private practice.
That's fair. If someone enters the military and becomes complacent and doesn't continue learning and challenging themselves I think that would be detriment. Getting exposure to dentistry outside of the military would be pretty much expected if someone plans a short exit from the service