Dumb question time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bryce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK,

Just how does the infamous "Matching" process take place? Does the student dictate what field it is that they want to go into and, based on grades and board scores, align themselves with an institution with that specific specialty or sub-specialty? Or does the student giving a listing of specialties that they are interested in? I am sure that this question validates my idiocity, that said, bare with me... I haven't slept for a few days.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you apply to programs you want to get into, you do not just send a list to somewhere. Thats all that I can really answer, someone with further knowledge will eventually come along.

OK,

Just how does the infamous "Matching" process take place? Does the student dictate what field it is that they want to go into and, based on grades and board scores, align themselves with an institution with that specific specialty or sub-specialty? Or does the student giving a listing of specialties that they are interested in? I am sure that this question validates my idiocity, that said, bare with me... I haven't slept for a few days.:sleep:

I've heard that Iserson's Getting into a Residency: A Guide for Medical Students, by Kenneth Iserson, is a good guide for the whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you apply to programs you want to get into, you do not just send a list to somewhere. Thats all that I can really answer, someone with further knowledge will eventually come along.

I understand that "you don't just send a list to somewhere", that's not what I was inquiring. I was wondering if you list, say, three diff. specialties that you might be interested in, something similiar to what they do in the military, and based on gpa and scores are placed into one. I realize just how vague I was with that...

From what I've read in books (and remember)... it is a lot like getting into a fraternity or sorority.

You pick a specialty and travel around interviewing for residency spots. You then rank all of those that you interviewed for. All the residencies also rank the med students who interviewed. A system then goes along and matches you with your highest ranked residency that also listed you. I'm sure there is some equation as to how it does it, but it is a good system. Most people match with one of their top choices. Very few don't match at all - I'd imagine you would have to gauge how much a residency liked you very wrong :)

stop speculating. go buy "iserson's getting into a residency" on amazon. it will answer your questions and show you what needs to be done so you can get into the residency you want to get into. its a fantastic book.

stop speculating. go buy "iserson's getting into a residency" on amazon. it will answer your questions and show you what needs to be done so you can get into the residency you want to get into. its a fantastic book.

Thanx Ill check into it. I honestly had never heard of it before so this is a pleasant surprise.:)