Dumb Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

link2swim06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to shadow an Air Force doctor if you are not involved with the military and you are just curious how different their job is from a civilian doctor. I know one who is in the air force but don't know how plausible it would be to ask if I can shadow him.

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask him. I don't see why it'd be any different than shadowing a doctor in any other hospital. If you think it'll help and you won't get to shadow otherwise, act like you're interested in the Air Force HPSP or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb Answer: Ask them.

Hey there - It shouldn't be too difficult. I assume you are concerned less with the physician's response to your request and more with the logistics and security issues, yes? I actually work at USUHS and hooked up a friend from my TPR class last year with a volunteer position on a clinical study run by a physician colleague of mine at a clinic at NNMC, on a fairly high-security base (license will not get you on base, must have military affiliated ID or be "on the list"). He was a civilian with no prior military affiliations, but I believe that it was a fairly easy process to get a security check done and a temp summer pass when the physician took him over to the security office and vouched for him. He really had a great time and got a chance to see what military medical care was like - if you are interested at all in HPSP or USUHS and have the opportunity to shadow a military physician, I would try to go for it!

As a side note, I have been very impressed with USUHS and am applying myself (would never have considered it without my work experience here... never considered the military, or knew it existed).. it is a great school, a very supportive community, the faculty are amazing, and they have some top-notch resources. Just a shout out for good ole USU :D

Hey there - It shouldn't be too difficult. I assume you are concerned less with the physician's response to your request and more with the logistics and security issues, yes? I actually work at USUHS and hooked up a friend from my TPR class last year with a volunteer position on a clinical study run by a physician colleague of mine at a clinic at NNMC, on a fairly high-security base (license will not get you on base, must have military affiliated ID or be "on the list"). He was a civilian with no prior military affiliations, but I believe that it was a fairly easy process to get a security check done and a temp summer pass when the physician took him over to the security office and vouched for him. He really had a great time and got a chance to see what military medical care was like - if you are interested at all in HPSP or USUHS and have the opportunity to shadow a military physician, I would try to go for it!

As a side note, I have been very impressed with USUHS and am applying myself (would never have considered it without my work experience here... never considered the military, or knew it existed).. it is a great school, a very supportive community, the faculty are amazing, and they have some top-notch resources. Just a shout out for good ole USU :D

Thanks for the info, and yes security/ letting me on the base was my biggest concern.