Dumb questions about First Aid, different books, and Step 1 studying schedule.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thornburn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry for the dumb question, but I just started M2 and I'm planning to start grinding for Step 1 (hopefully I'm not behind? A lot of my classmates apparently studied all break).

I'm confused about First Aid though. I'm aware of the UFAP method and hear from a lot of people to read and re-read First Aid. Are people using the "First Aid for USLME Step 1 Book" or "First Aid Basic Sciences (organ systems and general systems)? or both?

Also, should I buy all 3 of those books now, or should I wait until the 2017 USLME Step 1 comes out?

I guess that was 3 uninformed questions total, sorry.

EDIT: Sorry, I completely forgot there was a Step 1 forum until now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Sorry for the dumb question, but I just started M2 and I'm planning to start grinding for Step 1 (hopefully I'm not behind? A lot of my classmates apparently studied all break).

I'm confused about First Aid though. I'm aware of the UFAP method and hear from a lot of people to read and re-read First Aid. Are people using the "First Aid for USLME Step 1 Book" or "First Aid Basic Sciences (organ systems and general systems)? or both?

Also, should I buy all 3 of those books now, or should I wait until the 2017 USLME Step 1 comes out?

I guess that was 3 uninformed questions total, sorry.

EDIT: Sorry, I completely forgot there was a Step 1 forum until now.

1- Buy first aid step 1 and BRS physiology by costanzo
2- Buy Uworld qbank
3- Buy Pathoma

Read BRS first. It's short and I did 80 questions first thing in the morning and read afterwards and it really helped my score.
Next start doing 80-100 questions per day and when you finish read a section in first aid and then watch the same section in pathoma.
Collect 250+ score.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks TBV. I have Uworld and Pathoma already, and plan on buying Step 1. Should I wait until January for the 2017 version, or will the 2016 version be good enough? And what about the Basic Sciences and Organ System book? Is that not really used?

Sorry, I'm also unsure how I should approach doing questions. Do I start immediately even though we didn't learn the material yet, or was your plan mainly for studying after M2 and before Step 1?

buy 2016 to use along classes with pathoma. buy 2017 when it comes out. It does change year to year and with all the money invested who cares about 50$? Save Uworld until dedicated step studying. If you want to do questions with class buy a different qbank. I've never heard of that basic sciences and organ system book

This is the basic sciences/organ book I was talking about.

mOsuTz9.png

Do people not typically use these?
You don't need em. You only need FA USMLE Step 1.