DVM vs. PHARMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cju101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

i have a few friends in pharmacy school and they seem to like it. it can be monotonous and boring at times, but if you're into the chemistry of it all, there are things that can challenge you on a daily basis, especially in a hospital setting. there are also available residencies, although limited, to things like pediatrics or oncology. As far as vet medicine goes, there seems to be far more opportunity as far as variety. you can constantly be challenged, and it is definately not monotonous. also, i think there is opportunity in vet medicine to focus on animal pharmaceuticals, but i could be wrong you may want to check more into that! good luck!

You seem to mostly be considering run-of-the-mill pharmacist vs. run-of-the-mill veterinarian. It might be possible to combine your interests... As a veterinarian you could do a residency and specialize in anesthesia, which is all about chemicals and pharmacology (and other nitty-gritties like blood chemistry, blood pressure, heart rate/waveform, and all kinds of systemic stuff like that).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a biased response since I am applying to vet school and don't know much about pharm school, but I think veterinary school will train you as a veterinarian as well as a scientist and gives you the potential to apply your knowledge to so many different areas. My physiology professor this semester is a DVM, but instead of going into clinical medicine she worked for more than a decade at a pharmaceutical company developing new drugs. Being a DVM might give you the best of both worlds. You could develop new drugs and be involved in the clinical applications of the drug use in aniamls.