rexosaurus

CSU PVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Ft. Collins, CO
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
i have a few friends in pharmacy school and they seem to like it. it can be monotonous and boring at times, but if you're into the chemistry of it all, there are things that can challenge you on a daily basis, especially in a hospital setting. there are also available residencies, although limited, to things like pediatrics or oncology. As far as vet medicine goes, there seems to be far more opportunity as far as variety. you can constantly be challenged, and it is definately not monotonous. also, i think there is opportunity in vet medicine to focus on animal pharmaceuticals, but i could be wrong you may want to check more into that! good luck!

kate_g

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
You seem to mostly be considering run-of-the-mill pharmacist vs. run-of-the-mill veterinarian. It might be possible to combine your interests... As a veterinarian you could do a residency and specialize in anesthesia, which is all about chemicals and pharmacology (and other nitty-gritties like blood chemistry, blood pressure, heart rate/waveform, and all kinds of systemic stuff like that).

About the Ads

Monkey85

Penn Vet 2011
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
This is a biased response since I am applying to vet school and don't know much about pharm school, but I think veterinary school will train you as a veterinarian as well as a scientist and gives you the potential to apply your knowledge to so many different areas. My physiology professor this semester is a DVM, but instead of going into clinical medicine she worked for more than a decade at a pharmaceutical company developing new drugs. Being a DVM might give you the best of both worlds. You could develop new drugs and be involved in the clinical applications of the drug use in aniamls.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.