2023-2024 Orlando College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BankrollB

Reaction score
Since nobody has posted one yet, application opened on AACOMAS on 9/14/23

Secondary Questions:
1. Have you ever participated in an international mission or relief trip? If yes, please explain: (no limit)
2. Do you have research experience? If yes, please explain: (no limit)
3. Work experience, volunteer experience, shadowing experience w/description
4. Have you ever applied to OCOM? Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If you answered 'yes' to either question above, to which medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? (1,500 character limit)
5. Have you ever been subject to revocation or suspension of a professional license, censured, reprimanded, or placed on probation for reason(s) relating to professional competence or conduct by a state licensing authority? If yes, please explain: (500 character limit)
6. Have you ever had disciplinary action taken against you by any professional society or professional association? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
7. Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for academic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate, or professional schools that you attended? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
8. Are there any disciplinary actions pending or expected to be brought against you? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
9. Do you have any misdemeanors, felonies, or other offenses which may or may not have resulted in conviction or have been dismissed? Do you have any civil charges which may or may not have resulted in conviction or have been dismissed (including any traffic violations but excluding parking violations)? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
10. Is there any information of which OCOM should be aware that is relevant to your ability to complete the osteopathic medicine education program and to be certified for licensure? If YES, please explain (500 characters)

Short Answer Questions:
1. Why did you choose Orlando College of Osteopathic medicine (OCOM)? Please be specific describing what is particularly attractive about OCOM. (500 WORDS)
2. Is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? Please include any academic difficulties or course withdrawals. (500 WORDS)
3. Orlando is a vibrant and multicultural, multilingual city. You will be exposed to cultures and languages different from your own while living and studying in this city. Please explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked, or were exposed to diverse backgrounds. Please describe the impact the experience had on you. (500 WORDS)
4. Resilience is “the process and outcome of successfully adapting to difficult or challenging life experiences, especially through mental, emotional, and behavioral flexibility and adjustment to external and internal demands.” Consider a challenge you have experienced. How are your attitudes and actions regarding your challenge a reflection of resilience? (500 WORDS)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is an excerpt from a Reddit post made by SpiderDoctor.

Looked up their admissions FAQ because I was curious about their requirements as a new school (minimum 3.2 GPA (science and cumulative) and minimum 500 MCAT). Found this bit about acceptances and deposits which is SUPER weird. Binding agreements to hold your seat are not common and it makes me feel like they're manipulating students to fill their class.

What is the deposit upon acceptance and how is it refunded?

There will be no deposit required. If a student chooses to accept an offer of admission, they must submit the signed acceptance form prior to the designated deadline. Accepted students will be required to sign an enrollment contract and start to complete matriculating requirements.

What happens if I change my mind after I commit?

Once OCOM extends an offer of admission to an applicant, it is making a significant commitment with that offer. If the applicant accepts that offer, it is expected that it is a binding commitment by contract. While we don’t currently require a financial deposit, we do expect integrity with the commitment from both the applicant as well as OCOM. If an applicant breaks the agreement, OCOM reserves the right (as stated in the agreement) to share this information with a future medical school if the applicant contracts with them.

Odd to say the least…. I probably won’t be applying anyway due to the cutoffs but for anyone applying, please be aware.

Reactions: 1 users
This is an excerpt from a Reddit post made by SpiderDoctor.

Looked up their admissions FAQ because I was curious about their requirements as a new school (minimum 3.2 GPA (science and cumulative) and minimum 500 MCAT). Found this bit about acceptances and deposits which is SUPER weird. Binding agreements to hold your seat are not common and it makes me feel like they're manipulating students to fill their class.

What is the deposit upon acceptance and how is it refunded?

There will be no deposit required. If a student chooses to accept an offer of admission, they must submit the signed acceptance form prior to the designated deadline. Accepted students will be required to sign an enrollment contract and start to complete matriculating requirements.

What happens if I change my mind after I commit?

Once OCOM extends an offer of admission to an applicant, it is making a significant commitment with that offer. If the applicant accepts that offer, it is expected that it is a binding commitment by contract. While we don’t currently require a financial deposit, we do expect integrity with the commitment from both the applicant as well as OCOM. If an applicant breaks the agreement, OCOM reserves the right (as stated in the agreement) to share this information with a future medical school if the applicant contracts with them.

Odd to say the least…. I probably won’t be applying anyway due to the cutoffs but for anyone applying, please be aware.

Simply my personal opinion, but I highly doubt those cutoffs end up being strict. Shoot your shot if you’re interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a for-profit school?

Edit: It is. Confirmed via admissions email.

Last edited:
I asked and was told that they are hard cutoffs.

They might want those cutoffs to be strict, but there was another new school who had listed some cutoffs and they ended up backtracking on them pretty quick as it must’ve been evident they wouldn’t be able to fill a class. I guess we’ll have to revisit this at the end of the cycle and see how strict the cutoffs were.

Reactions: 6 users
So I just sent my application in today for this program. Is it too late or was it just posted on AACOMAS on 9/14/23? I didn't see this program while I was applying in Early May.

What are you guys’ thoughts on this school? The whole binding admissions thing scares me to be honest but is that the only apparent downside? It’s probably because of the fact its brand new but I haven‘t been able to find any other info on it, good or bad.

What are you guys’ thoughts on this school? The whole binding admissions thing scares me to be honest but is that the only apparent downside? It’s probably because of the fact it’s brand new but I haven‘t been able to find any other info on it, good or bad.
They have virtual cadaver lab, lecture-less curriculum (sounds a bit like PBL), 0 rotation sites in Orlando so you will have to move after second year. Just some things to consider!

Reactions: 2 users
They have virtual cadaver lab, lecture-less curriculum (sounds a bit like PBL), 0 rotation sites in Orlando so you will have to move after second year. Just some things to consider!
Yikes all of those things are near deal breakers for me. I hate the PBL and virtual cadaver lab trend if I am being honest. Thank you!

I would stay away from this school. They have red flags all around, from emailing DO's that are less than 1 year out of residency to join their faculty (without pay, lol) to their "founder"

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get secondaries
I applied two days ago and today I got an email saying my application was complete and they'd let me know if I get an interview. So, no secondaries this cycle I guess? Even though their website says they do secondaries and there is a $50 secondary fee

So I just sent my application in today for this program. Is it too late or was it just posted on AACOMAS on 9/14/23? I didn't see this program while I was applying in Early May.
They just opened their applications the 14th. New school this would be the first class so no you’re not late lol

Why would they make such harsh statements for a new medical school? They’re driving people away lol

keep in mind that this school is not eligible for federal loans.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
keep in mind that this school is not eligible for federal loans.

Their COA is also 112k a year. That has to be close to the highest COA out of all DO schools other than AZCOM. Factor in interest and the debt burden is easily over 500k.

• Dislike
  • Wow

Their COA is also 112k a year. That has to be close to the highest COA out of all DO schools other than AZCOM. Factor in interest and the debt burden is easily over 500k.
Their tuition is 55k.

Updated secondary questions. Most are just disciplinary related questions that most people won't have to answer. #3 on the short answer is a complete ripoff of an FIU secondary question and only switched miami for orlando, lol.

Updated secondary questions. Most are just disciplinary related questions that most people won't have to answer. #3 on the short answer is a complete ripoff of an FIU secondary question and only switched miami for orlando, lol.
“Have you ever applied to OCOM?”

Do they know it’s their first year opening? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users

Secondary Questions:
1. Have you ever participated in an international mission or relief trip? If yes, please explain: (no limit)
2. Do you have research experience? If yes, please explain: (no limit)
3. Work experience, volunteer experience, shadowing experience w/description
4. Have you ever applied to OCOM? Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If you answered 'yes' to either question above, to which medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? (1,500 character limit)
5. Have you ever been subject to revocation or suspension of a professional license, censured, reprimanded, or placed on probation for reason(s) relating to professional competence or conduct by a state licensing authority? If yes, please explain: (500 character limit)
6. Have you ever had disciplinary action taken against you by any professional society or professional association? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
7. Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for academic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate, or professional schools that you attended? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
8. Are there any disciplinary actions pending or expected to be brought against you? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
9. Do you have any misdemeanors, felonies, or other offenses which may or may not have resulted in conviction or have been dismissed? Do you have any civil charges which may or may not have resulted in conviction or have been dismissed (including any traffic violations but excluding parking violations)? If YES, please explain (500 characters)
10. Is there any information of which OCOM should be aware that is relevant to your ability to complete the osteopathic medicine education program and to be certified for licensure? If YES, please explain (500 characters)

Short Answer Questions:
1. Why did you choose Orlando College of Osteopathic medicine (OCOM)? Please be specific describing what is particularly attractive about OCOM. (500 WORDS)
2. Is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? Please include any academic difficulties or course withdrawals. (500 WORDS)
3. Orlando is a vibrant and multicultural, multilingual city. You will be exposed to cultures and languages different from your own while living and studying in this city. Please explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked, or were exposed to diverse backgrounds. Please describe the impact the experience had on you. (500 WORDS)
4. Resilience is “the process and outcome of successfully adapting to difficult or challenging life experiences, especially through mental, emotional, and behavioral flexibility and adjustment to external and internal demands.” Consider a challenge you have experienced. How are your attitudes and actions regarding your challenge a reflection of resilience? (500 WORDS)
wait people get secondaries? I submitted my primary and received an email saying that my application is under review and the next step is consideration for interview invite. No mention of secondary.

wait people get secondaries? I submitted my primary and received an email saying that my application is under review and the next step is consideration for interview invite. No mention of secondary.
Honestly same. And when did you submit yours? I submitted mine when they opened up maybe a day or 2 later.

So first 100 people that applied got a personal secondary email that was a pdf and they waived the fee. You’ll prob get a secondary soon, they don’t screen

Wait I’m confused, what do you mean by personal secondary email with a pdf. I applied and right away I got an email last week saying thank you for applying…. And then “The next step in the process is our review of your application for interview consideration.” So now I’m confused am I done or will be there be a secondary application? I didn’t get anything else no pdf or anything, and from the looks of the email it just looks like that’s it and they’re gonna review to interview, but idk. I’m so confused. I just hope it I get in

Wait I’m confused, what do you mean by personal secondary email with a pdf. I applied and right away I got an email last week saying thank you for applying…. And then “The next step in the process is our review of your application for interview consideration.” So now I’m confused am I done or will be there be a secondary application? I didn’t get anything else no pdf or anything, and from the looks of the email it just looks like that’s it and they’re gonna review to interview, but idk. I’m so confused. I just hope it I get in
Yes anyone that applied recieved the same "Application recieved" email and "The next step in the process is our review of your application for interview consideration. Once we complete our review, we will update you on the admission status." ...Then the first 100 "exceptional applicants" recieved a secondary which was a pdf, and the fee was waived. The cycle is still early, and even earlier for OCOM since the school literally just started taking the first class. Lol dont worry im sure you will get a secondary soon.

How did you answer the "have you applied to medical schools in the last 2 years?" Are they asking for previous cycles?
If you applied to any schools either last year, or the year before that. Basically are you a reapplicant to any program within 2 years

Yes anyone that applied recieved the same "Application recieved" email and "The next step in the process is our review of your application for interview consideration. Once we complete our review, we will update you on the admission status." ...Then the first 100 "exceptional applicants" recieved a secondary which was a pdf, and the fee was waived. The cycle is still early, and even earlier for OCOM since the school literally just started taking the first class. Lol dont worry im sure you will get a secondary soon.
Ahh makes sense. I really hope I get it soon. Damn I wish I was one of the first 100 applicants lol

lol, still thinking if I should even apply
Even though I initially submitted a primary I’ve decided strongly against applying. Part of it is because I have 2 IIs and feel more comfortable now but it’s mainly because of the endless red flags I’ve seen for this school. The list goes on and continues to grow the more I research, and it really concerns me. I’d recommend applying to either DUQCOM or BUCOM if applying to a new school over here, but that’s just my opinion.