E.A.R.S Strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIgdoctorguy

Reaction score
Hey there fellow Premeds! I have a medical school interview coming up soon and I wanted to ask your guys opinion on my interview answering strategy. A local premedical internship program at a nearby medical school stresses the E.A.R.S response to questions during the interview which is answer with
E-Example (specific example that can or cannot relate to medicine)
A-Action (What you did in that scenario)
R-Result (What was the outcome of that scenario)
S-Skills (What skills did you gain from this experience, and relate to this to medicine and your future career as a physician).

This strategy seems to work great for questions about personal experiences, but I was wondering if you guys think that I should use this strategy for policy and public health questions? Or do you guys think I should avoid using this strategy all together?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely use this route for personal questions as you said. This doesn't have to be a strict guideline and I would say being yourself is the most important thing about an interview so make sure if your using this method to not be robotic (don't think of it as a method). You can use this in policy and public health questions too if you wish. I think what people are looking for in these questions are whether you can think critically on BOTH sides of the argument. So you can use examples and what not but they want to see how you think not necessarily what you think.

I used this for a few policy/public health questions because i had personal examples to share so it worked out in those cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also called STAR

These things tend to work as long as the interviewer doesn't become aware of the technique.
It's like the feedback "sandwich." As soon as the student realizes that they are getting the "sandwich" you appear to be a bit of a hack...

Reactions: 3 users
While it is good to get the best information and complete answer out, if you focus too much on trying to stick to a formula rather than just talking then the information will not be presented in the most ‘you’ way, which is what they are really looking for.

I always noticed that these methods are great only if they come out naturally. In other words, don't try to force/rehearse the strategy. I never once thought about these techniques (whether I used them inadvertently or not, idk) but I had very good success with post interview results.

Reactions: 1 user
A local premedical internship program
Sounds like a good way for a school to make money.

Just answer questions naturally. It will sound better that way rather than you having a template for every question.

Hey there fellow Premeds! I have a medical school interview coming up soon and I wanted to ask your guys opinion on my interview answering strategy. A local premedical internship program at a nearby medical school stresses the E.A.R.S response to questions during the interview which is answer with
E-Example (specific example that can or cannot relate to medicine)
A-Action (What you did in that scenario)
R-Result (What was the outcome of that scenario)
S-Skills (What skills did you gain from this experience, and relate to this to medicine and your future career as a physician).

This strategy seems to work great for questions about personal experiences, but I was wondering if you guys think that I should use this strategy for policy and public health questions? Or do you guys think I should avoid using this strategy all together?
Do NOT give info that's not asked for

Reactions: 2 users