Early Decision or Regular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XCourtSmash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been told I should go for ED. My GPA is 3.63 science GPA is 3.49 and MCAT 1 and 2 are 28R 29O respectively. The school I'm thinking of applying ED to has an avg GPA of 3.7 28 MCAT. I'm thinking of doing ED there since I match a lot of their criterias. Grew up in the same state and general area, community service, working with the elderly, went to undergrad there.

I was told that since my scores are about average with decent EC and research exp, I would have a shot at some of the low-tier schools in-state. I'm torn between doing the ED since it's not really a guarantee and I've read on SDN that ED is meant more for the super-awesome applicants that want a guaranteed spots. I know I have a good chance at DO schools, but with my background, I'm not sure if I want to chance applying to ED and DO schools on the off chance someone found out. I already had to leave grad school to apply to medical school and that was a mess... I think I left in good standings since I took the faculty's advice and did what they told me, but there's that fear in the back of my head that the smiles were just for show and the good luck was a go screw off. :scared:

Note: The grad program I left is also the same school I was thinking of doing ED in.

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is very anti-EDP from what I've seen.

Applying early and broad seems to be the consensus.

SDN is very anti-EDP from what I've seen.

Applying early and broad seems to be the consensus.

Yea that's the feeling I'm getting too from searching the forums. I would really love to stay and go to the same school since my fiance already has a good job here and probably won't move again until I'm done with medical school.

But I don't feel that my scores are so overwhelmingly awesome that I can be certain I'll get in where I want...

I thought ED might boost my chances, but from what I've been reading on here it seems like it would hurt me more then help..

Members don't see this ad :)
EDP forces your application cycle to be very narrow and God forbid you don't make it well it's too late to apply regularly. SDN rightfully so believes is applying early and broadly with low stats.

So ED wouldn't really help me much considering my scores are only average... The way they talked about it I thought ED was more for people who want to go to X school but aren't that strong of an applicant, not the other way around... owell.

So ED wouldn't really help me much considering my scores are only average... The way they talked about it I thought ED was more for people who want to go to X school but aren't that strong of an applicant, not the other way around... owell.

That's true to some degree but what If they don't accept you? then you put all your eggs in one basket and end up getting screwed for the whole cycle. It's a personal preference so if you feel comfortable ten go ahead and do it, don't let random users on a forum stop you.