Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pigs on blanket

Reaction score
I have question about next cycle. If you are planning to apply early decision to an MD school do you have to wait to apply to DO schools as well? (Sorry, if this seems like a weird question. I know you can't apply to any other MD schools).

Members don't see this ad.

I have question about next cycle. If you are planning to apply early decision to an MD school do you have to wait to apply to DO schools as well? (Sorry, if this seems like a weird question. I know you can't apply to any other MD schools).

To apply through the Early Decision Program, applicants must follow these guidelines:
  • Apply to only one U.S. medical school by the stated deadline date (August 1* for schools that participate in AMCAS);
  • Not to apply through the Early Decision Program if they have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. medical school for the current entering class.
  • Attend only this school if offered a place under the Early Decision Program to familiarize yourself and comply with the school-specific Early Decision Program policies and agreements of the program to which you were accepted, including any school-specific impacts if you decide to change programs types and apply to other medical schools.
If these guidelines are met, applicants will be notified of the school's admission decision by October 1. If not accepted under the Early Decision Program, applicants will automatically be placed in the regular applicant pool by the school and may then apply to additional schools. Early Decision Program regulations apply to both AMCAS and non-AMCAS participating schools.

Doesn't seem like a weird question, but the answer is no. The good news is that, since DO has a later cycle, applying after 10/1 will be less of a problem for DO (actually, no problem at all!) than for MD, where first applying in October is pretty late.

Reactions: 2 users
To apply through the Early Decision Program, applicants must follow these guidelines:
  • Apply to only one U.S. medical school by the stated deadline date (August 1* for schools that participate in AMCAS);
  • Not to apply through the Early Decision Program if they have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. medical school for the current entering class.
  • Attend only this school if offered a place under the Early Decision Program to familiarize yourself and comply with the school-specific Early Decision Program policies and agreements of the program to which you were accepted, including any school-specific impacts if you decide to change programs types and apply to other medical schools.
If these guidelines are met, applicants will be notified of the school's admission decision by October 1. If not accepted under the Early Decision Program, applicants will automatically be placed in the regular applicant pool by the school and may then apply to additional schools. Early Decision Program regulations apply to both AMCAS and non-AMCAS participating schools.

Doesn't seem like a weird question, but the answer is no. The good news is that, since DO has a later cycle, applying after 10/1 will be less of a problem for DO (actually, no problem at all!) than for MD, where first applying in October is pretty late.
Thank you. I looked it up in the forums and seemed to be a discrepancy about whether it was doable. You cleared it up

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I looked it up in the forums and seemed to be a discrepancy about whether it was doable. You cleared it up
My advice, when in doubt, is to always check with the schools themselves. There is a ton of great advice here, but also plenty of misinformation and people's opinions. :cool: What I posted came directly from the AAMC website, with relevant items bolded by me!!

My advice, when in doubt, is to always check with the schools themselves. There is a ton of great advice here, but also plenty of misinformation and people's opinions. :cool: What I posted came directly from the AAMC website, with relevant items bolded by me!!
Thank you.