early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jak915

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for the fall 2007 and what I feel is due to my late application (turned everything near or on the deadline) was not accepted to any of the schools. I am now living in chicago and want to attend a school in the area. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply early decision to the University of Illinois, or would this be a bad idea because if I do not get in it will again put me in the same predicament as this past round. I have a 3.6 overall GPA 3.6 sci and a 29P on the mcat. In my year off I plan on getting a job at a hospital or doing clinical research. Any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for the fall 2007 and what I feel is due to my late application (turned everything near or on the deadline) was not accepted to any of the schools. I am now living in chicago and want to attend a school in the area. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to apply early decision to the University of Illinois, or would this be a bad idea because if I do not get in it will again put me in the same predicament as this past round. I have a 3.6 overall GPA 3.6 sci and a 29P on the mcat. In my year off I plan on getting a job at a hospital or doing clinical research. Any suggestions.
Your numbers are lukewarm - no offense intended. In your situation, I would apply more broadly instead of hitching my hopes to one star.

None taken, and thanks for the reply

Members don't see this ad :)
If you read the MSAR stats, ED acceptances are very uncommon, and I surmise that unless one has absolutely stellar stats and profile for a given school, it is a high risk strategy...the vast majority of schools don't offer ED...the advantages to the applicant for schools with ED are very limited as I see them - so you find out on Oct 13 instead of Oct 15 that you got accepted?

ED is not advantageous for med school, at least not in the way that it is a smart strategy for undergrad...

I applied ED to a top 50 school and got in and my stats are not much better than your (4 points more on the mcat, same gpa)...what I would suggest to you is to schedule a meeting with the dean of admissions and talk about your situation. This does two things: it puts your name out there to a member of the adcom, and also it gives you a sense of where you may stand in applying ED or regular admissions. I am assuming you are applying to your state school so I think you have a chance.... good luck :luck:

Thanks for all the responses, I would like to say in my defense that my overall GPA dropped two points due to courses taken abroad in spanish that coverted directly to my home institution.