DO acceptance but considering reapplication for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamond4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post on here but I just wanted to get some advice. I was fortunate enough to receive an acceptance to AZCOM this cycle and a waitlist at NYITCOM, but circumstances that have come about recently have made it in my best interest to not go to med school far away (I am from the east coast). I am considering working in a lab for a year and reapplying next cycle, hopefully being able to gain an acceptance somewhere East. My logic is that if I apply earlier (I applied fairly late this cycle) and with an additional year of lab experience, I may be able to get an acceptance nearby. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should deny this acceptance and reapply, and what the consequences of doing that are. For reference, I have around a 3.4-3.5 GPA and a 507 MCAT. Thanks for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh don't expect to many consequences, except, you may never become a doctor. This is a millennial thing isn't it? Pass up a meal and another will magically appear tomorrow? You'll obviously do what you want, but I'd take the seat and count your blessings. This is the problem with things that come too easily, they get squandered.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh don't expect to many consequences, except, you may never become a doctor. This is a millennial thing isn't it? Pass up a meal and another will magically appear tomorrow? You'll obviously do what you want, but I'd take the seat and count your blessings. This is the problem with things that come too easily, they get squandered.

Nahh actually my sister just passed away and it'd be really hard on both my family and I for me to move away far. That was the unfortunate circumstance that I am dealing with. I was looking for advice but thanks for tryna take a shot at me

Reactions: 7 users
Nahh actually my sister just passed away and it'd be really hard on both my family and I for me to move away far. That was the unfortunate circumstance that I am dealing with. I was looking for advice but thanks for tryna take a shot at me

Sorry to hear that. I think with a legitimate reason like this, you would be able to reapply and be ok.

No I'm serious, your family will understand. Take the seat. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear that. I think with a legitimate reason like this, you would be able to reapply and be ok.
you think I am competitive enough to give up a seat and reapply next year with confidence that I will get in somewhere closer?

Respect, but this is bad advice. You think it's a legitimate reason, of course it is; the problem isn't re-applying, of course he can. The problem is getting accepted again. Nothing would be worse than falling through the cracks and missing the chance.

As long as your ECs are up to par, grades stay the same, apply early and thoroughly explain why you gave up your seat and chose to re-apply, I feel like you'd have a very good shot of getting in the eastern DO schools. Assuming you're applying to more than just 1 school (NYITCOM), I think you'll be fine. @Goro would be able to shed some light on this situation

Very very sorry to hear about this. But the worst mistake you can make in your medical career will be to give up an acceptance for a maybe.

And DO schools will not care about your extra year of Lab Research.

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry to hear as well. I suggest calling the admissions director, explaining the situation, and asking if a deferment may be possible. If not possible, do go to school. There is still time between now and school for some healing to happen and wounds to be less poignant. Set aside money and plan out a schedule to travel home--you should still be able to visit home relatively often during school.

Hey guys, this is my first post on here but I just wanted to get some advice. I was fortunate enough to receive an acceptance to AZCOM this cycle and a waitlist at NYITCOM, but circumstances that have come about recently have made it in my best interest to not go to med school far away (I am from the east coast). I am considering working in a lab for a year and reapplying next cycle, hopefully being able to gain an acceptance somewhere East. My logic is that if I apply earlier (I applied fairly late this cycle) and with an additional year of lab experience, I may be able to get an acceptance nearby. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should deny this acceptance and reapply, and what the consequences of doing that are. For reference, I have around a 3.4-3.5 GPA and a 507 MCAT. Thanks for all of your help.

Do not defer with the hope of reapplying for MD in the future. I would estimate your odds of landing a seat at an MD school with your stats to be very low (assuming you're white or asian). There is a real shot you'd throw away your only acceptance with no better alternative in the future.

If you would want to reapply DO, I still would recommend against turning down your current offer. Your stats are good for DO, but why roll the dice again unless you absolutely need to. There's always the chance that you don't get another acceptance.

Someone else mentioned deferring a year and if that's possible that would be your best option.

Your options from best to worst:
#1 Defer
#2 Start school in Arizona
#3 Drop Acceptance, apply DO later
#4 Drop Acceptance, apply MD later

I'm really sorry about your tough situation. I get how hard this must be right now, but I think most people on here don't want you to make a decision now that could potentially cause a lot of hardship in the future.

Best of luck!

Do not defer with the hope of reapplying for MD in the future. I would estimate your odds of landing a seat at an MD school with your stats to be very low (assuming you're white or asian). There is a real shot you'd throw away your only acceptance with no better alternative in the future.

If you would want to reapply DO, I still would recommend against turning down your current offer. Your stats are good for DO, but why roll the dice again unless you absolutely need to. There's always the chance that you don't get another acceptance.

Someone else mentioned deferring a year and if that's possible that would be your best option.

Your options from best to worst:
#1 Defer
#2 Start school in Arizona
#3 Drop Acceptance, apply DO later
#4 Drop Acceptance, apply MD later

I'm really sorry about your tough situation. I get how hard this must be right now, but I think most people on here don't want you to make a decision now that could potentially cause a lot of hardship in the future.

Best of luck!

Very very sorry to hear about this. But the worst mistake you can make in your medical career will be to give up an acceptance for a maybe.

And DO schools will not care about your extra year of Lab Research.

This.

If you really want to be a doctor, do not let this slip through the cracks. As Goro said, the worst mistake you can make in your medical career will be to give up an acceptance for a maybe.

I’m very sorry for your loss, but you need to understand that you may never have another chance at this. While some schools may allow you to explain your reason for acceptance withdrawal, others may not, and you’ll be considerably limiting the number of schools willing to take a chance on you.

I will echo Dermpire almost exactly:

Your best options, from best to worst, are as follows:
1) Defer your acceptance to AZCOM.
2) Take your acceptance to AZCOM and attempt to transfer to an eastern school.
3) Take your acceptance to AZCOM.
994) Reapply to DO or MD schools.

If the loss of your sister provides enough gravity for you to, with sound mind, withdraw your acceptance to support your family, you should do so. But be aware that there is no guarantee that lightning will strike twice and you may delay your life goals indefinitely if not permanently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your sister support you in your dreams to become a physician? If she did, don't do her the disservice of quitting now. I know I'd be rolling over in my grave if any of my relatives risked losing a chance at their dreams just because I died.

Just something to take into consideration.

honestly man, if it means that much to you, you may be able to talk to the school that accepted you and defer your acceptance, and allow you to just attend school next year. While I was at medical school a person or two had got accepted the previous year but however chose to go the next year because of family issues.

Yours stats aren't that bad. I don't think lab experience is going to improve your application at all though if that's mostly what your experience difference is going to be from this year to next. My Emergency Department director is a D.O. from AZCOM just FYI. But anyways, you could reapply and potentially not be accepted, at which time you're kind of stuck. Even now, you're really just giving up a year of physician pay to try and get into an MD school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for your advice .. I seriously do appreciate it. You've all allowed me to put everything into perspective. I am most likely going to accept the offer, unless I get off the waitlist at NYIT. thanks so much again

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you everyone for your advice .. I seriously do appreciate it. You've all allowed me to put everything into perspective. I am most likely going to accept the offer, unless I get off the waitlist at NYIT. thanks so much again
If you have an update to provide, I would recommend sending it to NYIT as a letter of interest.

3.4-3.5 GPA and a 507 MCAT isn't going to win you any MD acceptances with just 1 extra year of lab experience, even if you get published. You would need to retake the MCAT and get a 512+ and maybe take some more classes with a 4.0.

Is the family situation the only reason, or are you also hesitant for another reason? If the family situation is the only reason, you should contact the school, explain the situation, and let them give you some options. Never make assumptions as to how they will respond, let them give you some information and options and then come back and we can help you weigh the pros and cons. The ball is in your court, absolutely do not release your seat.

This is a millennial thing isn't it?
LOL at the millennial jab. OP is looking for advice in a really hard situation. Way to epitomize the empathy of physicians. Remind me what generation you are a part of? Are you part of the generation that tried to hold up Jim Crow? Are you the generation that got into the war in Vietnam? Are you part of the generation that started the war on drugs and created the largest racist prison system in the world? Are you part of the generation that tanked the economy and led us into a recession and got us into 2 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Which holier-than-thou generation do you come from, again? Or are you also a millennial lol? Would love to hear your own excuses. Cheers!

Also OP, forget this clown. This is a hard decision and take some of the advice from other, more humane, people in this thread. Ultimately your decision, so props for trying to inform yourself here at SND. Too bad mk04447 doesn't understand that. Sorry for your loss.

EDIT: also, consider asking the school you have an A at will let you defer for a year.

Reactions: 8 users
LOL at the millennial jab. OP is looking for advice in a really hard situation. Way to epitomize the empathy of physicians. Remind me what generation you are a part of? Are you part of the generation that tried to hold up Jim Crow? Are you the generation that got into the war in Vietnam? Are you part of the generation that started the war on drugs and created the largest racist prison system in the world? Are you part of the generation that tanked the economy and led us into a recession and got us into 2 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Which holier-than-thou generation do you come from, again? Or are you also a millennial lol? Would love to hear your own excuses. Cheers!

Also OP, forget this clown. This is a hard decision and take some of the advice from other, more humane, people in this thread. Ultimately your decision, so props for trying to inform yourself here at SND. Too bad mk04447 doesn't understand that. Sorry for your loss.

EDIT: also, consider asking the school you have an A at will let you defer for a year.

I suggest you read the thread. Geez, I'd hate to be one of your patients.

I suggest you read the thread. Geez, I'd hate to be one of your patients.
It's funny man, I read a few of your posts and you seem to be obsessed with this idea of "millennials." Imagine, categorizing an entire group of people merely based on their age. It's sad to see a med student who is constantly stereotyping and generalizing an entire generation. You are going to be a physician. You should always be looking for the good in people, and should never look at a fresh situation with preconceived biases. I came here for advice; you did offer me some, but in a pretentious fashion. You do this in the field, you'll alienate your patients real quick. just my opinion

It's funny man, I read a few of your posts and you seem to be obsessed with this idea of "millennials." Imagine, categorizing an entire group of people merely based on their age. It's sad to see a med student who is constantly stereotyping and generalizing an entire generation. You are going to be a physician. You should always be looking for the good in people, and should never look at a fresh situation with preconceived biases. I came here for advice; you did offer me some, but in a pretentious fashion. You do this in the field, you'll alienate your patients real quick. just my opinion

@diamond4 Youve gotten a lot of good advice in this thread. I hope it helps you make a decision (and I hope this decision is to keep that acceptance in hand). This isn’t a millennial thing, but rather a world being turned upside down by a traumatic event in the family, and trying to balance the pressures of love, loss, and career. I wish you the best and look forward to calling you a colleague in a few years.

@mk04447 I read post history too, and I think OP has a classic inferiority complex related to being an older medical student that manifests as aggression towards perceived generational differences.

I gave sound advice. Millennials tend to get caught up in the emotion surrounding issues and lose sight of the big picture. That isn't to say losing a family member isn't difficult, but in 20 years there will be many more unfortunate losses, family, friends, coworkers, the family pet, LOSS. Losing the chance to become a doctor won't resemble that feeling at all, the sharp pain will be REGRET and nothing hurts more, best to avoid that one all together. Advice isn't free, getting to be pretentious is my reward for having to learn things the hard way so you don't have to.

This has nothing to do with millennials and more to do with the fact that its very hard to see big picture always, even in times of such loss, at age 22-23.
Plus, everyone copes differently. I see nothing wrong with OP's dilemma, it is perfectly natural

Real talk, is there any negative consequences to defer and try for MD, if does not get into MD school, take the DO seat?

It’s not like DO adcom will find out about his MD application, and if he did get MD, it’s not like a DO adcom can do anything to a MD student.

Honestly, is there any reason (besides being a terrible human being moral wise and take away a seat from someone) why wouldn’t defer plus applying to MD being the best option if someone is interested in MD? If he doesn’t get into MD, he take the DO and adcom will never know he tried to apply to MD.

Real talk, is there any negative consequences to defer and try for MD, if does not get into MD school, take the DO seat?

It’s not like DO adcom will find out about his MD application, and if he did get MD, it’s not like a DO adcom can do anything to a MD student.

Honestly, is there any reason (besides being a terrible human being moral wise and take away a seat from someone) why wouldn’t defer plus applying to MD being the best option if someone is interested in MD? If he doesn’t get into MD, he take the DO and adcom will never know he tried to apply to MD.
Completely unrelated to the post. And also super sketchy.

I'm so sorry for your loss first of all. Your strength to continue pursuing your professional goals is inspiring, and I'm sure that alone is helping your family. I think you have a shot at getting into a DO school closer to home if you reapply, and you should consider that as an option. But if you don't mind being far away, then go for it!

Completely unrelated to the post. And also super sketchy.

Did you read the OP? He wants to reapply. Honestly reapplying to MD will burn less bridges than reapplying to DO because of two different systems.

Did you read the OP? He wants to reapply. Honestly reapplying to MD will burn less bridges than reapplying to DO because of two different systems.
I'm so sorry for your loss first of all. Your strength to continue pursuing your professional goals is inspiring, and I'm sure that alone is helping your family. I think you have a shot at getting into a DO school closer to home if you reapply, and you should consider that as an option. But if you don't mind being far away, then go for it!

Guys he is accepted to a reputable DO school in lovely Arizona. DO NOT flip a coin on your future OP. It’s sinply dumb to do so when you have achieved such a rare and impressive thing, a med school accept.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I can completely relate. I also lost a sibling recently and was accepted at a DO school far from home. I think it may be best to communicate your concerns with your school and see what support they are able to offer, whether it is counseling, offering a deferred acceptance, etc. Ultimately, how you choose to proceed is entirely up to you because it is your life and you must put your happiness and mental wellness first. Feel free to DM me if you want to discuss further.

Sorry for your loss. Talk to the school and see if you can defer for a year. There is no guarantee that you will get a seat next year.

Are schools able to know if you have passed up an acceptance in the past?

Even schools you have not previously applied to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are schools able to know if you have passed up an acceptance in the past?

Even schools you have not previously applied to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Not sure. I know the pre-health committee at my undergrad school specifically states they will not provide support to any applicant who turns down an acceptance from a medical school and re-applies at a later cycle. They say the reason being is that it looks unprofessional to turn down an acceptance and they do not wish to spend their time and resources on someone who already had the opportunity to go to medical school but turned it down. I'm sure if there were unique circumstances they would take them into consideration. This may just be unique to my school, but it is good to look into as many applicants utilize the pre-health committee system for the purpose of receiving a committee letter or packet.