Early entry into clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorstrangerthingz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm extremely happy about the school that I got accepted to. The school has a curriculum where we start our clerkships after a year and a half.
I'm interested in what people people's opinion of this. Do the benefits of starting the rotations early out-weight the risk of cutting down the preclinical years?
I know a few other schools do this too, anyone cares to share their experience?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is the trend with all medical schools currently. I would hazard a guess that most schools have a shortened preclinical now. I am also at a 1.5 year preclinical school, and its definitely super fast paced, but doable. Just go into it knowing that you can't get behind. You will be extremely happy for the extra clinical time once application cycle rolls around. Most of our time is added to 4th year, which allows for extra rotations/breaks.

Reactions: 1 user
there is essentially no risk to cutting preclinical to 1.5 years and plenty of reasons why its beneficial

It's the trend now... I am predicting that all med schools curriculum will be 3 yrs (2x18 months) instead of 4 within 10 yrs. It will be a nice way to lower COA since schools won't decrease tuition.