early look at my UC Davis application chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pumpkinsmom

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! First of all I've been following many pre-vet threads on here, and I want to thank you all who are so willing to help others out!

I wonder if some people could help me speculate as to the strength of my potential application to UC Davis vet school in future years? (probably applying 2012 for matriculation 2013 - I would like to apply in 2011 but will not have enough experience hours by then since I'm committed to my current job through June 2011)

I'm only 23, but am unhappy in my fledging career as a high school Bio teacher, and have always been very interested in becoming a vet. Went to UCSD for undergrad, and got a Master's in Education from Stanford U. I'm a first-year teacher at a low income school. (I'm hoping the education/social justice route is one of those life experiences that might make me a little unique from other vet candidates - communication, teamwork, leadership, future vet career possibilities, etc)

Cum UCSD GPA - 3.42.
Last 45 semester units at UCSD - 3.75.
UCSD sciences GPA - 3.2
Would the graduate Stanford education count towards my GPA? 3.9 there.

GRE:
740 (80%) Quantitative. 640 (92%) Verbal. 5.0 (84%) Analytical writing.

Based on C/O 2014, it looks to me like some of my numbers are above average for Davis - BUT I still need to take 2 pre-req advanced chem courses at community college AND I know that I am seriously lacking on the animal/vet experience front.

Most of my interaction with animals has been informal/indirect - I've always owned cats and dogs, horseback riding camp one summer, I read and research animal health info for fun and for my teaching job, my mom took vet tech courses (but got derailed by personal issues).

Therefore I plan to take a year off beginning summer 2011 and devote the year to experience. I plan to start by volunteering at a shelter. Hopefully I could get to volunteer at SD Zoo, be a vet asst at a clinic and some shadowing of an equine vet. All of those experiences sound really exciting to me, but I know they're not out of the ordinary for davis applicants. I figure that by volunteering/working full-time (or more) for 1 yr I could get about 2000 hrs by application 2012.

Anyway I'm a little scared about all this since I'm already in student loan debt from Stanford, but I just know that I'm not going to be truly happy until I'm doing what I love. So sorry this was so long and I really appreciate any feedback/input/advice!!!
 
It sounds like you've already seen this; but it's the UC Davis admitted student stats for the c/o 2014: http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms/class_2014/pdfs/applicationstatistics.pdf

I think you are in good shape; just get those required classes and more animal experience under your belt.

I don't know much about UC Davis - and I haven't been accepted to any vet school (so take this with a grain of salt); but I'd suggest a few things....

1.) Don't let your animal experience hours hurt your GPA. If you are going to take those required classes and try to get hours with animals, remember to keep school the top priority. I know people who were busting their butts working INSANE hours while trying to go to school (because their boss pressured them to do so). Then they end up with a C in an important, required, science class. It kills their last 45 GPA, hurts their science GPA/overall GPA and just looks bad.

If you don't get in on your first try; it's way, way, way easier to get more hours than to fix your GPA.

2.) Spread your hours around. I've heard diversity looks better; so 1000 hours with small animals and 1000 hours with horses looks better than 2400 hours with horses.

EDIT: This is not true for UC Davis - sorry!

3.) Apply to a lot of schools. Unless you aren't in a rush to get in/don't mind waiting another year. Sometimes people with great stats don't get in. Along that same line, if you are going to entertain the idea of applying to other schools at all; now is probably the time to figure out which schools you'd apply to. You might have all the pre-reqs for UC Davis, but not for the others.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2.) Spread your hours around. I've heard diversity looks better; so 1000 hours with small animals and 1000 hours with horses looks better than 2400 hours with horses.

Not actually true for UC Davis. They like to see depth, in general.

Hi OP! My undergraduate GPA was far below the average of my classmates (UCDavis class of 2014)! I know plenty of people who didn't get in whose GPAs were higher than mine, and even higher than the averages. Long story short, nobody really knows.
 
Not actually true for UC Davis. They like to see depth, in general.

Hi OP! My undergraduate GPA was far below the average of my classmates (UCDavis class of 2014)! I know plenty of people who didn't get in whose GPAs were higher than mine, and even higher than the averages. Long story short, nobody really knows.

Doh! Thank you for posting that. Sorry OP!
 
Thanks! Hm... Breadth vs. Depth??

Davis would be my IS, plus it's a great school so I would much prefer Davis. Other schools I've considered I might like to go to are Washington State, Oregon State, Cornell, Colorado State, Mississippi State (family there).

Specific experience advice for any of these schools?

I am pretty sure I want to be a small animal vet, but I would also be interested in wildlife/zoology - So based on the Davis advice it looks like I'll try to get experience in primarily those two!
 
Thanks! Hm... Breadth vs. Depth??

Davis would be my IS, plus it's a great school so I would much prefer Davis. Other schools I've considered I might like to go to are Washington State, Oregon State, Cornell, Colorado State, Mississippi State (family there).

Specific experience advice for any of these schools?

I am pretty sure I want to be a small animal vet, but I would also be interested in wildlife/zoology - So based on the Davis advice it looks like I'll try to get experience in primarily those two!


For Cornell, you need seperate letters of recommendation for every "experience" you have. It's a PITA, in my opinion, but just bear that in mind if they're going to stay on your list.
 
For Cornell, you need seperate letters of recommendation for every "experience" you have. It's a PITA, in my opinion, but just bear that in mind if they're going to stay on your list.

Major PITA, especially as a non-trad who has been in the workforce for some time. This is why I didn't apply at Cornell. :lame: