early or late application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovetolearn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi just wanted your opinion

I am schedulled to take the MCAT in two weeks but I don't feel ready. My practice exam score is still in mid 20s, NOT GOOD! :confused: So I am considering moving it to later in the summer and practice more.

So the real question is, do I take it early and risk a lower score and apply early...OR.... take it later for a better score but be relatively late with the application?

Thanks for your help!:)

Members don't see this ad.

3rd option: assuming you will be better prepared, take it later this summer and plan to defer apps for another year...

do I take it early and risk a lower score and apply early...OR.... take it later for a better score but be relatively late with the application?

Don't take the MCAT until you are really ready, evidenced by three scores in your intended range on three full-length practice tests. Can you get from 20s to 30s in two months? Maybe. But if necessary consider a January test, meanwhile buffing up your ECs and making the rest of your application the best it can be. You are not in a race. There is nothing wrong about deferring your application until next season, as postbacker suggests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you could also submit your application pre-MCAT and have the scores electronically submitted after your test date. Wouldn't this allow AMCAS to verify all of the other infomation and submit to your schools post score release?

I thought you could also submit your application pre-MCAT and have the scores electronically submitted after your test date. Wouldn't this allow AMCAS to verify all of the other infomation and submit to your schools post score release?

Yes, you can do this if you are confident of a good score, but in the context of the conversation above, why apply at all if there is a good chance your MCAT will be too low for you to get accepted anywhere? You would be wasting the application fee for this cycle.

Hi just wanted your opinion

I am schedulled to take the MCAT in two weeks but I don't feel ready. My practice exam score is still in mid 20s, NOT GOOD! :confused: So I am considering moving it to later in the summer and practice more.

So the real question is, do I take it early and risk a lower score and apply early...OR.... take it later for a better score but be relatively late with the application?

Thanks for your help!:)

Do not take the MCAT until you are thoroughly prepared. A poor MCAT will more than negate any advantage of early application. Don't take the MCAT until you are prepared.

Definitely postpone. I've heard there are some schools that average your MCAT scores together, so you don't want to have a 20 on your first take drag down a 30 on your second take. Make a plan and decide how much review/practice you need to do to where you think you'll be in a better position to take it. Only you know how much you've covered so far, how fresh the material is in your mind from classes and how fast you learn. Figure out if you need one, two, or three more months to prepare, and schedule it for then. I think that if you can get your practice scores to the upper 20s you could take it. Especially if you're interested in DO schools, which have a more lenient MCAT range of acceptance.

If you're worried about wasting the AMCAS application fee, submit in June, but don't list many schools. You'll be verified and ready to go once your score comes out, and you can always add additional schools once you see your score. Then at least you'll only be losing the minimum app fee. Then again, if you're willing to wait a year, don't submit until after you see your scores and see if your MCAT is competative for this year. Good luck.

Do not take the MCAT until you are thoroughly prepared. A poor MCAT will more than negate any advantage of early application. Don't take the MCAT until you are prepared.

:thumbup: :thumbup: I was in a similar situation when I applied. I chose to postpone the MCAT, study all summer, and apply late (although I had everything submitted and verified before the scores came out). I couldn't be happier with the outcome. A good MCAT score opens up a lot more doors than an early application. Good luck!

Hello everyone,
thank you very much for your advise. You guys are right, I should take it when I'm ready and apply late or wait 'till next year if necessary. So I decided to postpone. I changed my registration (although I now have to go home to take it) untill later in the summer. I want to be well prepared for this, and mid 20's is not a good place to be 2 weeks before the test so I will keep working on it.;)
Great advise, Thanks:thumbup: