1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Early Studying for MCATs????????

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by fxfalcon35, Dec 3, 2008.

1. fxfalcon35

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    HI, I am finishing up my first semester in college. I plan on graduating in three years. I used high school AP courses to fill up general requirements and will use summers to fill up other general requirements, while focusing on science in fall and spring.

So since I plan on graduating early, I think I should start a bit of a review and see what I am getting myself into with the MCATs. I have 6 weeks of break, so a little bit of productivity might be good I guess.

Also I am taking physics2, bio 2, and chem 1 in the spring so the mcat review might give me a bit of a head start in those courses.

SO am I starting way too early? And mainly, I want to know if the complete examcrackers prep is the best way? or some other review? So is a genral review the best way to go for now?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, it is too early to start. The earliest I think anyone should consider is studying a year in advance. Even in this situation, you don't really start studying until you're much closer to the test date. Pretty much any studying done years in advance (outside of reading various papers, journals, etc) is a complete waste. You should focus far more on enjoying college while you can and building the other aspects of your application. Another thing to consider is that you could change directions once you take some other classes. Lastly, keep in mind that medical schools may or may not accept AP credit for their pre-req fulfillment. I think most of the schools I applied to did NOT accept AP credit for pre-req fulfillment.

4. fxfalcon35

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    the pre reqs are for the degree not the core stuff like, bio, calc, phys, chem, and sciences. I am doing BA in bio, so i take a wide variety of classes. Is that bad, should I do a B.S?
    And u are right, I should enjoy myself and do other things, but I am just saying if i have soem books i may flip through them.

5. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When it comes down to it, I don't think medical schools really care if you have a B.A. or B.S. The positive of getting a B.A. is that means you've taken more classes outside of the sciences which can be helpful by rounding out your courses. The B.A. by itself isn't helpful. Ask your pre-med adviser. He/she should have a better idea.

Edit: Do NOT flip through them. Close the MCAT books, leave this section of SDN (or the whole thing :p), and enjoy your college life.

6. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take it easy. Enjoy and have fun in your first year of college. There's time and place for everything.

7. KempDrumsalot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When are you planning on taking your MCAT? From your post, you make it sound like credit wise, you are a sophmore. If so, if you do not plan on taking a year off after undergrad, you could begin studying within the next couple of semesters, but don't dedicate your life to it. Keep to having fun as long as possible, but don't slack off in the process.