Early Studying for MCATs????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxfalcon35

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI, I am finishing up my first semester in college. I plan on graduating in three years. I used high school AP courses to fill up general requirements and will use summers to fill up other general requirements, while focusing on science in fall and spring.

So since I plan on graduating early, I think I should start a bit of a review and see what I am getting myself into with the MCATs. I have 6 weeks of break, so a little bit of productivity might be good I guess.

Also I am taking physics2, bio 2, and chem 1 in the spring so the mcat review might give me a bit of a head start in those courses.

SO am I starting way too early? And mainly, I want to know if the complete examcrackers prep is the best way? or some other review? So is a genral review the best way to go for now?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is too early to start. The earliest I think anyone should consider is studying a year in advance. Even in this situation, you don't really start studying until you're much closer to the test date. Pretty much any studying done years in advance (outside of reading various papers, journals, etc) is a complete waste. You should focus far more on enjoying college while you can and building the other aspects of your application. Another thing to consider is that you could change directions once you take some other classes. Lastly, keep in mind that medical schools may or may not accept AP credit for their pre-req fulfillment. I think most of the schools I applied to did NOT accept AP credit for pre-req fulfillment.

Yes, it is too early to start. The earliest I think anyone should consider is studying a year in advance. Even in this situation, you don't really start studying until you're much closer to the test date. Pretty much any studying done years in advance (outside of reading various papers, journals, etc) is a complete waste. You should focus far more on enjoying college while you can and building the other aspects of your application. Another thing to consider is that you could change directions once you take some other classes. Lastly, keep in mind that medical schools may or may not accept AP credit for their pre-req fulfillment. I think most of the schools I applied to did NOT accept AP credit for pre-req fulfillment.

the pre reqs are for the degree not the core stuff like, bio, calc, phys, chem, and sciences. I am doing BA in bio, so i take a wide variety of classes. Is that bad, should I do a B.S?
And u are right, I should enjoy myself and do other things, but I am just saying if i have soem books i may flip through them.

When it comes down to it, I don't think medical schools really care if you have a B.A. or B.S. The positive of getting a B.A. is that means you've taken more classes outside of the sciences which can be helpful by rounding out your courses. The B.A. by itself isn't helpful. Ask your pre-med adviser. He/she should have a better idea.

Edit: Do NOT flip through them. Close the MCAT books, leave this section of SDN (or the whole thing :p), and enjoy your college life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it easy. Enjoy and have fun in your first year of college. There's time and place for everything.

When are you planning on taking your MCAT? From your post, you make it sound like credit wise, you are a sophmore. If so, if you do not plan on taking a year off after undergrad, you could begin studying within the next couple of semesters, but don't dedicate your life to it. Keep to having fun as long as possible, but don't slack off in the process.