Easier U.S. medical schools for a canadian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

airbornemedic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are medical schools easier to get into in the states for Canadians such as my self

I have a GPA of ~3.85, I have research experience, clinical experience, extracurriculars, etc but canadian medical schools are very competitive. So I would like another option if I don't get into any Canadian medical schools

Is there like 2nd tier medical schools in the U.S. that are less competitive (ie. have more slots or have less requirements)? I don't want to end up in the Caribbean or Puerto Rico like that, just a medical school in the U.S. preferably north closer to Canada

Members don't see this ad.

I am a dual (US/Canadian) citizen and I've had experience with both systems. As a Canadian, you're like hybrid between international/out of state applicant. State schools for the most part won't like at your application. Notable exceptions are some Michigan and New York schools. The private american schools look at Canadians but as you know they are difficult to get into. I'd say apply to mostly private schools but apply broadly (mid tier/top tier). You'd be surprised how much more value a 3.85 has in the US than in Canada. Grab the MSAR book to see which schools look at internationals/Canadians. Look at the avg accepted/GPA and MCAT stuff. To get a good idea of mid tier/top tier look at the rankings. Generally 20 to 50 are mid tier (everybody has different opinions on this). See if they look at Canadians via the MSAR. Good examples of upper mid tiers that look at Canadians are Mount Sinai and Einstein. NYU does as well. Hope this helps.

I am a dual (US/Canadian) citizen and I've had experience with both systems. As a Canadian, you're like hybrid between international/out of state applicant. State schools for the most part won't like at your application. Notable exceptions are some Michigan and New York schools. The private american schools look at Canadians but as you know they are difficult to get into. I'd say apply to mostly private schools but apply broadly (mid tier/top tier). You'd be surprised how much more value a 3.85 has in the US than in Canada. Grab the MSAR book to see which schools look at internationals/Canadians. Look at the avg accepted/GPA and MCAT stuff. To get a good idea of mid tier/top tier look at the rankings. Generally 20 to 50 are mid tier (everybody has different opinions on this). See if they look at Canadians via the MSAR. Good examples of upper mid tiers that look at Canadians are Mount Sinai and Einstein. NYU does as well. Hope this helps.

Hey,

As a fellow Canadian going through both the US and Canadian applicantion process, I can sympathize.

The above poster has some solid advice: get the MSAR. In it, it also lists how many international applicants matriculated at each school, as well as the number that interviewed and applied. Many schools may take international applications, but then don't accept any international students; there's no use wasting your time and money on those. Based on the numbers and personal experience, here are a bunch of schools that are more Canadian/international-friendly, in no apparent order:

- Case Western
- Mt. Sinai (they seem to be taking less internationals lately)
- Harvard
- Yale
- Jefferson Medical College
- Wayne State
- Chicago Medical School/Rosalind Franklin
- University of Chicago
- Northwestern
- SUNY Upstate
- Vanderbilt
- Dartmouth
- Columbia
- Indiana U
- Johns Hopkins
- Boston U

There might be a handful of others I missed, but that's a fairly comprehensive list.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

As a fellow Canadian going through both the US and Canadian applicantion process, I can sympathize.

The above poster has some solid advice: get the MSAR. In it, it also lists how many international applicants matriculated at each school, as well as the number that interviewed and applied. Many schools may take international applications, but then don't accept any international students; there's no use wasting your time and money on those. Based on the numbers and personal experience, here are a bunch of schools that are more Canadian/international-friendly, in no apparent order:

- Case Western
- Harvard
- Yale
- Wayne State
- University of Chicago
- Northwestern
- SUNY Upstate
- Vanderbilt
- Dartmouth
- Columbia
- Indiana U
- Johns Hopkins
- Boston U

There might be a handful of others I missed, but that's a fairly comprehensive list.

Best of luck.

From what I have heard, Indiana U has not taken Canadian students in a LONG time (except for those who hold dual citizenship).

Other schools to include:
NYU, NYMC, AECOM, GWU

From what I have heard, Indiana U has not taken Canadian students in a LONG time (except for those who hold dual citizenship).

NYU, NYMC, AECOM, GWU

Not receptive to Canadian or Internationals this year. :)

Not true, but they're certainly not one of the schools I would call "easiest" for Canadian applicants.

NYU, NYMC, AECOM, GWU

Last year, NYU and NYMC took 3 internationals combined. Although they certainly accept Canadian applications, I would not consider them easier schools to get into, or in the case of the OP, schools to apply to in the US in order to increase one's chances of getting in.

Also, bannie22 is definitely right, SLU accepts a decent amount of internationals. I knew a few were missing from my almost-comprehensive list.

Last year, NYU and NYMC took 3 internationals combined. Although they certainly accept Canadian applications, I would not consider them easier schools to get into, or in the case of the OP, schools to apply to in the US in order to increase one's chances of getting in.

Also, bannie22 is definitely right, SLU accepts a decent amount of internationals. I knew a few were missing from my almost-comprehensive list.

Consider the fact that although 3 internationals matriculated, many more were accepted. A friend of mine is a Canadian who already was accepted to AECOM for next year. Chances are high that if a student gets into an American and Canadian school (given that they're Canadian), that they'll goto the Canadian one because its wayyyyyy cheaper. More Canadian students matriculated at the higher ranked schools because even though they're more expensive, they may choose to go to an Ivy-quality school over a Canadian one (not that I agree with that, our schools are awesome).

Anyhoo, I'm Canadian. I have interviews at U of T (Toronto not Texas) and Queens. I also had one at U Maryland and Wayne State University and I'm hoping to get one at AECOM aswell (they interview into May).

GOOD LUCKKKK

I think we can add UKentucky based on what we've seen at PM101?

Wow...pm101 party in here. Kentucky may be one to add, although it won't help the OP as it isn't "close" to the border. Also, people may be too timid to do the secondary or don't want to spend the time on it as it is traditionally long.

When I did interview there, there was an applicant from Vancouver interviewing as well. The student host list had a Cdn on it. It is just one of those schools though that you would have to express that you really want to go there and/or willing to consider Kentucky long term.

Wow...pm101 party in here. Kentucky may be one to add, although it won't help the OP as it isn't "close" to the border.
beggars can't be choosers ;)

ETA; I also know someone who interviewed at UHawaii this year... lol I suppose that's even further from the "close to Canada" criteria hahaha

beggars can't be choosers ;)

ETA; I also know someone who interviewed at UHawaii this year... lol I suppose that's even further from the "close to Canada" criteria hahaha

My gf's cousin goes to JABSOM (Hawaii) and I think my gf said there was something like 3 Cdns in her cousin's class. Hard to believe considering they take very few int'ls.

Edit: If you would consider JABSOM, you'd probably have to sell a kidney or something. The tuition/fees this coming year is $56.2k, next is $61.5K. With $5k increases per year, the cost will either not be sustainable in the future, or you'd have to have filthy rich parents to be able to dig up that kind of funding as an int'l. Big reason why I didn't consider applying to Hawaii (even with some form of connection to the state).

Last edited:
My gf's cousin goes to JABSOM (Hawaii) and I think my gf said there was something like 3 Cdns in her cousin's class. Hard to believe considering they take very few int'ls.

Edit: If you would consider JABSOM, you'd probably have to sell a kidney or something. The tuition/fees this coming year is $56.2k, next is $61.5K. With $5k increases per year, the cost will either not be sustainable in the future, or you'd have to have filthy rich parents to be able to dig up that kind of funding as an int'l. Big reason why I didn't consider applying to Hawaii (even with some form of connection to the state).
well there are clearly some loaded parents out there seeing as they do have students :laugh: It is in Hawaii though... I can see why it would be expensive...

Ok, here's a more updated list of Canadian-friendly schools then, with input from other posters:

- Case Western
- Harvard
- Yale
- Wayne State
- University of Chicago
- Northwestern
- SUNY Upstate
- Vanderbilt
- Dartmouth
- Columbia
- Johns Hopkins
- Boston U
- AECOM
- SLU
- U Kentucky

Some schools who take a few Canadians: NYMC, NYU, U Hawaii

Again, this list is probably fairly comprehensive, but there may be a couple of schools left out.

Ok, here's a more updated list of Canadian-friendly schools then, with input from other posters:

- Case Western
- Harvard
- Yale
- Wayne State
- University of Chicago
- Northwestern
- SUNY Upstate
- Vanderbilt
- Dartmouth
- Columbia
- Johns Hopkins
- Boston U
- AECOM
- SLU
- U Kentucky

Some schools who take a few Canadians: NYMC, NYU, U Hawaii

Again, this list is probably fairly comprehensive, but there may be a couple of schools left out.

Merci Beaucoup!

Status
Not open for further replies.