Easiest residency for a foreign graduate to match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to inquire, any one of you there have friends who are foreign medical graduates, what do they usually match with? I heard IM's the easiest and best choice, is this true? If so, anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

GP, Family Practice, Psych, IM

TTSD said:
GP, Family Practice, Psych, IM

Good pay? Seems like those doing IM can't get pass the $150+ k limit :(

Members don't see this ad :)
ericdamiansean said:

Uh...not sure if you were joking or not, but I think TTSD meant "General Practitioner," like a family doc. :)

I know 2 FMGs who matched in IM and 2 who matched in pediatrics. Hope this helps! Good luck! It's really tough for you guys! :luck:

ericdamiansean said:

Seriously, you don't think 150k is good pay? Jeez, how much money do you want???

haha..enough to pay off my loan as soon as possible..the interest is killing me

How about chances for matching with Emergency Medicine?

ericdamiansean said:
haha..enough to pay off my loan as soon as possible..the interest is killing me

How about chances for matching with Emergency Medicine?

EM is competitive, but can be done. I know a Canadian who matched in EM.

I have been following this thread and it seems the view is IMGs just match to IM, GP, Inf Dis, Psych, Path...etc....etc....etc. It is very possible and it is frequent that Foreign Medical Graduates match to the top residencies in the US, of course, this may depend on what Foreign Medical School the person graduates from. I'm currently a M2 in the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland and out of our recent graduating class aimed to go to the US, all (30+) but two matched with the Match program and the two that didn't matched in the scramble (one in Surg at Mayo)...all accounted for they matched anywhere from University of Washington in Peds to University of Florida in Emergency Medicine, several surgery, radiology etc. Though it's more difficult to land these spots it isn't impossible.

eripearson said:
I have been following this thread and it seems the view is IMGs just match to IM, GP, Inf Dis, Psych, Path...etc....etc....etc. It is very possible and it is frequent that Foreign Medical Graduates match to the top residencies in the US, of course, this may depend on what Foreign Medical School the person graduates from. I'm currently a M2 in the Royal College of Surgeons Ireland and out of our recent graduating class aimed to go to the US, all (30+) but two matched with the Match program and the two that didn't matched in the scramble (one in Surg at Mayo)...all accounted for they matched anywhere from University of Washington in Peds to University of Florida in Emergency Medicine, several surgery, radiology etc. Though it's more difficult to land these spots it isn't impossible.
I don't really have a particular view of FMGs...I was just saying where the IMGs I know had matched. I wish it was easier for IMGs to match, but unfortunately, the system seems to be set up to prevent most of them from working in the US.

LaurieB said:
EM is competitive, but can be done. I know a Canadian who matched in EM.

I don't think it's fair to compare an IMG from CAnada with those from all over the world, some from credited schools, as good or even better than some docs, just because i think it's much easier for a Canadian grad to match, heck, differences and jokes all aside, yall are still neighbors right?

interesting contributions from all of u. Its absolutely justifiable that all foreign medics should meet the standards of the us. The reason isn't due to the fact that us medics are intellectually superior... not at all... they have the best exposure you can ever think of.
And if i truly had the money i would have opted for premed in US. But then again foreign students are given a chance in the states, after passing that seemingly easy exam.... bye all

Akuffo said:
after passing that seemingly easy exam.... bye all

Haha, you pulling our legs right? The USMLE is made to kill :D

I don't think US grads get the most exposure, I would say those from developing countries because patients there are not exactly aware of their rights, so medical students get to poke and probe all they want.

My seniors who did electives in Africa said that they were like suturing robots there,so many cases!!