Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) vs George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarthOneFlash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to come to this thread. Any and all input is valued!!

I had the amazing privilege of getting accepted to both EVMS and GW recently. I'm having a dilemma figuring out which one is right for me though.

Here's the all important pros/cons list:

EVMS

Pros:
  • Cheaper tuition (I'm a VA resident),
  • Class exams are modeled after STEP 1 questions
  • Facilities are nice
  • Few mandatory lectures and rather flexible amounts of time for doing other activities The other students seem nice/non-cut-throaty!
  • Cost of living is cheaper in Norfolk
  • I'll have my car with me.

Cons:
  • I like DC more than Norfolk
  • May have fewer research opportunities
  • Won't be able to build connections in the Northern VA/DC area for possible residencies (unless I do away rotations)

GW

Pros:
  • I like DC and have a decent amount of connections in the area
  • I'm closer to family and good friends
  • I might be able to do rotations and build connections in Northern VA/DC/MD area hospitals that I would apply to for residency
  • Scholarly concentrations are cool
  • I really into health policy and being connected to DC city level and federal level policy.

Cons:
  • Way more expensive in...every way
  • Cost of living in DC is high
  • Won't have the car (not trying to get those DC parking violations)
  • From what I've heard the class exams don't help with preparing for STEP

*side note* while I listed cost a bunch of times, it's not a restrictive issue. With family support and financial aid, GW is affordable but ...money saved is money saved.

Anyways, thanks for reading through most of that. Any and all input would be nice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since you're a VA resident, definitely EVMS. You can always do away rotations and build connections wherever you want.

Reactions: 2 users
If I had the option of picking between GW and EVMS I would absolutely choose GW. EVMS is a great school but I think the only thing they have over GW for you is the cost, and if you aren't trying to base your decision on that then I would choose GW.
Disclaimer: I'm currently waitlisted at EVMS but I promise my opinion has nothing to do with that.

Reactions: 1 user