Easy Majors and Upper Division Science Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousername

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried the search but found nothing specific.

The upper division classes are fairly straightforward and it is not difficult to get A's/B's in them. My schools nationwide but none of the courses I'm planning on taking are only peripherally related to the biological field.

If I maintain my prereqs, will my lack of upper div bio classes that most applicants (who are bio majors) have taken matter?

I don't plan on taking any upper level bio classes besides biochem in my last semester. Will adcoms view this in a negative way?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
eh. id recommend taking a few upper div bio classes just so you at least have exposure to the stuff that bio majors would have. good that you're taking biochem, but for most bio majors, thats a required class more than an elective. id see if you can take a molecular/cell biology class, neurobio, or a physiology class.

now, idk if the adcoms will view you NOT taking these in a neg light, bc i know non bio majors that've gotten in. id recommend you take some of these classes for your own benefit tho.

I am a Health Science major, (pretty much I customized my sci electives). I have to take 3-300 level courses. My school Offers a Histology Course (from what I heard a hard course at my school, with very hard exams). I was wondering If I should take Histology or take easier 300 levels courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
take histology. i didn't take it, but histology is a course they do at a lot of med schools in the 1st yr. if you dont wanna take it cuz its hard, consider it practice for medschool. lol.

My major is psychology, it's easy and I find it quite interesting. The upper division classes are fairly straightforward and it is not difficult to get A's/B's in them. My schools psychology program top 5 nationwide but none of the courses I'm planning on taking are only peripherally related to the biological field.

If I maintain my 3.8 in prereqs, will my lack of upper div bio classes that most applicants (who are bio majors) have taken matter?

I don't plan on taking any upper level bio classes besides biochem in my last semester. Will adcoms view this in a negative way?

psychology is a actually useful major to have, unlike having a bio major which is basically useless..
but yah.. i'd honestly just recommend taking a few upper division courses
bio-chem, anatomy,molecular or micro < would be 4 that come to mind which are recommend by the majority of medical schools

take histology. i didn't take it, but histology is a course they do at a lot of med schools in the 1st yr. if you dont wanna take it cuz its hard, consider it practice for medschool. lol.

histology is 2nd year if im correct..
anyway..
if its hard and most people do bad in it
at most i'd recommend auditing it..
because realistically taking a D in histology even if helpful is nothing but doing you bad for your transcript.
so trend carefully with that..

histology is 2nd year if im correct..
anyway..
if its hard and most people do bad in it
at most i'd recommend auditing it..
because realistically taking a D in histology even if helpful is nothing but doing you bad for your transcript.
so trend carefully with that..

My thoughts exactly. Dont hurt your GPA and thus chances by taking something to "prepare" for med school. You can't prepare for med school anyway, just take what you need, get good grades, and apply. Taking more than needed is a great idea albeit a risky one, take good calculated risks, this doesn't sound like one to me.

well, i know schools that do it first yr as well, but whatev. anyway, i know you can't "prepare" for med school, but to me, it only helps to have seen something at least once before.
to the OP-i agree, however, that if you really think you'll do bad in it, don't sacrifice your GPA for it.

I am a psychology major with a minor in chemistry and was accepted.

I took all of the prereqs and took Biochem, Genetics, and Evolution just to stay sharp in the science areas.

Ideally you should be taking courses that prepare your for the MCAT which will in turn prepare you for medical school.

My major is psychology, it's easy and I find it quite interesting. The upper division classes are fairly straightforward and it is not difficult to get A's/B's in them. My schools psychology program top 5 nationwide but none of the courses I'm planning on taking are only peripherally related to the biological field.

If I maintain my 3.8 in prereqs, will my lack of upper div bio classes that most applicants (who are bio majors) have taken matter?

You are pretty much in the same boat as me, although my school is not top 5 in psychology. I am a junior right now and since the psych major is relatively short at my school i will have pretty much 1 entire year of science courses to take. I would recommend you take a few science courses maybe 2 each semester, just to show that you can handle some upper levels.

The way I see it is this:

Med-schools have the pre-reqs there for a reason. If they wanted everyone to take upper division biology classes then they would require it. This is not the first time I have said this, and sure won't be the last; major in what interests you and what you will do well in.

On a side note; don't just assume that you will get A's in psychology, or that it will be supper easy, especially if it is a top five school for psych. Just fair warning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what you like but remember that your goal is medical school, not an undergraduate degree. So also, do what you can excel in.

great thanks guys

I have to run right now, so I'm just going to say this with all the rough edges, sorry if I'm a little rude.

i don't really have any new information. As much as I value the premed opinion, I would really appreciate some comments from ppl who have actually gotten into medical school as nonscience majors or from adcoms like LizzyM.

All I know now is:

-it would look good to take upper div science classes
-I don't have to
-they don't care if you do what interests you

Econ major. 49T on the MCAT, accepted to the entire Top 20 list. :cool:

One of the above is true. :oops:

great thanks guys

I have to run right now, so I'm just going to say this with all the rough edges, sorry if I'm a little rude.

i don't really have any new information. As much as I value the premed opinion, I would really appreciate some comments from ppl who have actually gotten into medical school as nonscience majors or from adcoms like LizzyM.

All I know now is:

-it would look good to take upper div science classes
-I don't have to
-they don't care if you do what interests you

You got advice from pre-meds in the pre-med forum, imagine that.

Haven't been accepted yet, but I have graduated, taken the MCAT and received interviews at a few med schools so far.

I was a psych major too. Take as many neuroscience-y classes as you can in your department; they will be useful for the MCAT and may even count as bio classes under AMCAS designations (they did for me!) I, too, took biochem my senior year. Neat course; it really tied together what I had learned so far in the big picture. In addition to that I also took human anatomy and astronomy(just for kicks). So far I haven't gotten any trouble from adcoms for not taking more upper level bio courses --and that's probably because I took so many upper-level neuroscientfic psych courses! and take research methods if you can--makes for a great topic in your med school interviews. good luck!

Last edited:
^^helpful thanks

You got advice from pre-meds in the pre-med forum, imagine that.

From what I recollect you are one of the regular posters on this forum who's a science major and in community college. That's not to say that your opinion isn't valid or important, just that you're a long way from medical school and don't have any direct experience with my situation. I would prefer feedback from people who are nonscience majors and have been accepted, I hope you can see why their input is more important to me than bio majors who haven't even taken the MCAT or applied yet. sorry to have offended (if i did).

On another note, neuroscience classes are a good thought, some of them have bio prereqs that are filled w/ med school prereqs, I'll definitely look into those. thanks.

Ok, so non-science major (B.A.) only courses I had above pre-reqs were biochem and micro maybe (all I can think of off hand). No genetics, p chem, cell bio, etc.

Two MD acceptances. Does that make my earlier post mean more or more true? :rolleyes:

Edit: Most med school pre-reqs done at CC

^^helpful thanks

From what I recollect you are one of the regular posters on this forum who's a science major and in community college. That's not to say that your opinion isn't valid or important, just that you're a long way from medical school and don't have any direct experience with my situation. I would prefer feedback from people who are nonscience majors and have been accepted, I hope you can see why their input is more important to me than bio majors who haven't even taken the MCAT or applied yet. sorry to have offended (if i did).

On another note, neuroscience classes are a good thought, some of them have bio prereqs that are filled w/ med school prereqs, I'll definitely look into those. thanks.

I'm not a science major, but whatever. I just thought that it was funny that you did not want advice from pre-meds, yet you asked for advice on a pre-med forum.

I'm not a science major, but whatever. I just thought that it was funny that you did not want advice from pre-meds, yet you asked for advice on a pre-med forum.

I'm not starting a flamewar here or anything but where would you suggest I have started the thread? Allopathic? that would have been moved.

I'm just looking for opinions from nonmajors that are considered easy who have been accepted (or at least interviewed at med schools). They are still considered "pre-med" because they have not started med school yet. They have shown that they know how to succeed in the application process so obviously their opinions and comments have more validity and reliability than the freshman or sophomore who is just starting to take prereqs.

Let's get back the the pertinent discussion, the current one has nothing to do with the question at hand.

I'm not starting a flamewar here or anything but where would you suggest I have started the thread? Allopathic? that would have been moved.

I'm just looking for opinions from nonmajors that are considered easy who have been accepted (or at least interviewed at med schools). They are still considered "pre-med" because they have not started med school yet. They have shown that they know how to succeed in the application process so obviously their opinions and comments have more validity and reliability than the freshman or sophomore who is just starting to take prereqs.

Let's get back the the pertinent discussion, the current one has nothing to do with the question at hand.

PM Sent.

thanks, I didn't know about the mentor forum (good stuff there). I went to cc too (now transferred) but I guess I just feel more comfortable with direct evidence/advice rather than anecdotal. Might be my bias.

thanks, I didn't know about the mentor forum (good stuff there). I went to cc too (now transferred) but I guess I just feel more comfortable with direct evidence/advice rather than anecdotal. Might be my bias.

Last edited: