EC Question

Started by DrOMG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrOMG

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the past year and a half I have gone to my sister-in-law's house a few times a week and tutored her three boys (9,7,5) and lately their next door neighbor's son (9). Can I include this tutoring as part of my EC's? I wasn't sure if it counts because they're family.
 
I wouldn't. I mean I guess you could and just leave out the sister-in-law part. I dunno, it just feels weird though. I tutored my nephews and nieces regularly when I was premed and I never thought to put it on my application. I was doing it because, you know, they're family. It's not exactly community service.

I mean helping set the family dinner table at night isn't the same as volunteering in a soup kitchen.