ECONOMICS Major for Pre-Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CacheValley

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at going into Dental School. I'll try to apply to as many as I can but specifically looking at UNLV (in case that matters). I started into Business Admin as my major for my first year and half, but if I look into getting into a science degree such as Human Biology, Biology etc.. I would be sitting at another 3.5 years. I'd rather not, but if that is only way I am willing.

BUT! I was also thinking about getting a Economics degree while finishing up all my Pre-Requisites for dental school. It would allow me to finish my undergrad in 4 years rather than 5-5.5 years.

What is your thoughts on that? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently looking at going into Dental School. I'll try to apply to as many as I can but specifically looking at UNLV (in case that matters). I started into Business Admin as my major for my first year and half, but if I look into getting into a science degree such as Human Biology, Biology etc.. I would be sitting at another 3.5 years. I'd rather not, but if that is only way I am willing.

BUT! I was also thinking about getting a Economics degree while finishing up all my Pre-Requisites for dental school. It would allow me to finish my undergrad in 4 years rather than 5-5.5 years.

What is your thoughts on that? Thank you
Go for it-it's a no brainer. Whatever advantage you may get from taking upper level science classes will be negated by the disadvantages of having to delay dental school by another 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take economics, the pre reqs, and biochemistry / cell bio. Schools will love your non science background FYI (assuming you have the stats to match your science background compadres you will be competing against)

Just know that dental school is very heavy in the sciences, so if your background is not in the sciences, you will have a harder time. Otherwise you can major in anything you want as long as your pre-requisites are met.

Just know that dental school is very heavy in the sciences, so if your background is not in the sciences, you will have a harder time. Otherwise you can major in anything you want as long as your pre-requisites are met.

One of my dental classmates entered dental school with a business degree. He struggled initially with the science courses, but did great with the clinical stuff. Don't waste more time with the pre-dental stuff. Go straight to dental school.

One of my dental classmates entered dental school with a business degree. He struggled initially with the science courses, but did great with the clinical stuff. Don't waste more time with the pre-dental stuff. Go straight to dental school.

Yeah, a few of our classmates majored outside of the sciences and mentioned that it was harder for them since a certain baseline of familiarity with the subject is expected in the science courses. Still doable and I agree, I wouldn't waste too much time and money taking pre-dental courses unless necessary.

Absolutely pursue the Econ degree if that's what you want. Business admin would also be considered impressive (and particularly useful) if you stick with that. Think about it in terms of professional value: outside of a research context, a bachelor's in biology on a dentist's CV is essentially redundant to the dental degree, whereas an economics degree will allow you to claim expertise in an additional field. Sure, you might have to put a little extra work in your preclinical courses. But regardless of your baseline knowledge of biology, you will have the same relevant biomedical knowledge as the rest of your classmates by the time you graduate from dental school anyway.

Pre-dents need to have more faith that your future dental school will teach you what you need to know about anatomy, pathology, etc. The fact that dentists in other parts of the world can become competent at treating dental conditions with nothing but a five-year bachelor's degree proves that you don't need to study four years of academic biology to understand clinical dentistry. Thus, I think the extra years of education we have are better spent attaining breadth of knowledge. And you can be sure that your dental school will NOT teach you economics or how to run a business.

Furthermore, science GPA is important. Taking extra upper-level science courses, which will be more challenging than the intro-level prereqs, is an unnecessary risk to your GPA. If your science GPA is high after completing the prereqs, the strategic thing to do would be to stop taking science courses. Better to leave your ability to handle upper-level sciences unproven to the admissions committees than to potentially prove your inability with a downward trend in your science GPA.

A friend from my undergrad just got into NYU with a degree in Marketing and a minor in Biology. It's totally doable but make sure you take your prereqs and some recommended prerequisite classes to be as competitive as possible once you're in dental school.

Last edited:
I'm an ECON major! Actually it's come up in every interview thus far. Some of the statistical and analytical skills you learn from economics are very applicable to public health research and other areas of dentistry. I think it's been a good thing but I'll let you know come December 1st

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also you learn a lot of applicable information such as profit maximizing in a small firm which can definitely be useful for private practice. Try to take as much analytical and health economics as possible and you'll kill interviews!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have you heard anything yet concerning being an Econ major?

Have you heard anything yet concerning being an Econ major?

If your referring to me yeah! Got into UPENN and ECU, waitlisted at DCG, still waiting to hear back from Columbia, UNC, and VCU