You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Edinburgh NY Reception Feb 4th
Started by flyhi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'll be there! I just have to harass co-workers to cover my hours. My mother lives in NJ, so I'm flying into Newark the night before and staying the night of and staying with her. She's planning on taking the train in with me and coming to the reception.
Hopefully you get your dogsitter - fortunately my SO is staying home so he can take care of the kitties.
Hopefully you get your dogsitter - fortunately my SO is staying home so he can take care of the kitties.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to piggyback on this NY thread, but I haven't quite figured out how to start a new thread...
Is anyone going to the Edinburgh San Francisco reception Feb. 2? I'm driving up from LA with my boyfriend and was looking forward to meeting some other applicants beforehand.
And for you East Siders, I'll give you the details on the reception (since it's before yours) so you're well-prepared...
Cheers~
Is anyone going to the Edinburgh San Francisco reception Feb. 2? I'm driving up from LA with my boyfriend and was looking forward to meeting some other applicants beforehand.
And for you East Siders, I'll give you the details on the reception (since it's before yours) so you're well-prepared...
Cheers~
Sorry to piggyback on this NY thread, but I haven't quite figured out how to start a new thread...
Is anyone going to the Edinburgh San Francisco reception Feb. 2? I'm driving up from LA with my boyfriend and was looking forward to meeting some other applicants beforehand.
And for you East Siders, I'll give you the details on the reception (since it's before yours) so you're well-prepared...
Cheers~
I'm going to the San Francisco reception too. Can't wait to see you there.
So what is everyone wearing? It says 'informal reception', but nothing in the UK is informal, is it? I'm between a suit and pants/dress shirt. Thoughts?
I had the same thought. My tentative plan is a suit with a nice enough top that I can take the jacket off and be slightly less formal that way.
Hey, I went to the NYC reception last year. Other than being really freakin cold in NY, the attire was as it says in the invitation. I wore dress pants and a blouse as did all the females. Some guys wore polo and pants or shirt/tie/pants.
What was the reception like? Did you get a lot out of it?
What was the reception like? Did you get a lot out of it?
Reception was really neat. Its in a business room at the Cornell Club. There you meet Yvonne and 3 professors (1 Scottish, 1 English, and 1 Irish). They were incredibly funny and of course, I was left mesmerized by their accents. LOL. 😛 You sit in round tables with other GEP/Non-GEP students and their guests chatting about whatnot.
When you walk in, you check yourself off on the guest list and receive a packet that has all the details and powerpoint slides that will be presented. I still have mine and its practically my Bible concerning my transition to moving to the UK. They go into detail about every little thing that you will need to prepare for the move as well as more in depth details about the program you will spend 4 to 5 years of your life (example: your personal advisor, how the prof teaches based off case studies - if you ever watch the show House, its a bit like that, EMS, things to do other than vet school like sport clubs, recreation, trips around the UK (apparently there is a recreation facility owned by the university up in the Highlands where you can go kayaking, hiking, camping, etc.) The system is really neat and a bit different from the american system of teaching. A lot more hands-on lectures rather than sitting around in a lecture hall. Later on in the semester, Yvonne is going to match us up with a student mentor in Edin that has roughly the same background as yourself (example: GEP/non-GEP, same state you went to undergrad or hometown, field of interest, etc.)
After all the details, there is a lunch buffet. Yvonne goes around if you want to meet her personally for a bit of chit chat and be like "Hey! Im so and so, the one that emailed you a bunch of times!" 😀 Lol, I had met her when I went to visit the school prior to applying so she remembered who I was, which made me feel great rather than just another VMCAS applicant. After the lunch, there is a Q and A session. If I remember correctly the reception ended around 4 pm.
Check the weather before you head to NYC, there was still snow when I went. As Wolphcats mentioned, its business casual, so there is no need for a suit. Its not an interview so don't feel nervous. The Edin staff are very nice and makes you feel right at home.
Hope this helped! 😎
SoBeVet - that was extremely helpful - thanks! i have some hoops to jump through in order to attend, but i am definitely going now. It sounds very informative and i want to meet some other students as well.
So, you went last year? You were accepted, but did not matriculate? Are you definitely attending this year? GEP?
thanks again!
So, you went last year? You were accepted, but did not matriculate? Are you definitely attending this year? GEP?
thanks again!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That was super helpful thank you!! By attending this, I'm hoping they might be able to officially persuade me to go international! I still have 2 interviews left and have to hear from 4 more schools (2 of which are IS). The "more hands on" learning might be enough to convince me since that's how my undergraduate school was. 🙂
So excited!
So excited!
SoBeVet - that was extremely helpful - thanks! i have some hoops to jump through in order to attend, but i am definitely going now. It sounds very informative and i want to meet some other students as well.
So, you went last year? You were accepted, but did not matriculate? Are you definitely attending this year? GEP?
thanks again!
I got the offer last year for GEP, but I didn't achieve my conditions. Got C's instead of the B's they wanted. Yvonne tried her best to talk to the admissions director but I had really needed those Bs. Due to those C's, I was able to graduate but my GPA dropped below 3.4. Yvonne told me to retake the classes that were in my conditional offer after I graduated as a non-degree student. I was able to get a B in one class last semester and I'm working on my last class now. Edin is my #1 choice, so I am busting my ass to get in. Unfortunately, since I graduated with below a 3.4, I didn't make the cut for GEP so Yvonne gave me the offer for non-GEP. At this point, I really don't care if I am in GEP or not because in the end I will get that damn DVM and live my dream.
I won't be able to go to the NYC reception this year since it lands on a Thurs and thats when I have my class. Last year, the reception landed on a Saturday. I already have all the info that I need so I don't feel that it is necessary to get that packet again. Plus, Yvonne is waiting on this grade now and I can't afford to miss a class. Basically, to me and Im sure other students are stressing about one class that will determine their career or not.
Wish I can be there and meet all of you! If not, then when we start classes in the Fall and be like "Hey, Im SoBeVet!" LOL

Ok, i'm going to NY. Plane ticket bought and all! I asked Caroline Gilroy if she was going to be there and this was her reply:
Unfortunately I will not be there but in attendance from the Admissions Office will be Geraldine Giannopoulos, the Admissions Officer and two members of the academic staff, Professor Corcoran and Dr Hudson.
Geraldine then told me that there are already 42 confirmations to attend and they had more emails to go through yet.
Unfortunately I will not be there but in attendance from the Admissions Office will be Geraldine Giannopoulos, the Admissions Officer and two members of the academic staff, Professor Corcoran and Dr Hudson.
Geraldine then told me that there are already 42 confirmations to attend and they had more emails to go through yet.
Just giving this thred a bump since it is getting closer to the reception. I plan to go to a broadway show (Next To Normal) after the reception. Anyone have plans? You are welcome to join me. I am sure you can get a student rush ticket the day of... but I don't know how. If you want to come, let me know and I will ask my friend who works for a theater in NY.
Yes, I know... I am a geek who wants to see musicals while in New York. 😛
Yes, I know... I am a geek who wants to see musicals while in New York. 😛
Bahh I really want to go, but don't know if I can. I'm sick of spending hundreds of dollars for all these flights and hotels 😡
Bahh I really want to go, but don't know if I can. I'm sick of spending hundreds of dollars for all these flights and hotels 😡
C'monnnnnn.....flights are cheapo to NY right now. Hotels....wellll...that's a little different
Does anybody have the general schedule for the feb4th NY reception? Or mainly, when it starts and ends?
Does anybody have the general schedule for the feb4th NY reception? Or mainly, when it starts and ends?
I believe it starts at noon for both receptions but I don't know anything other than that.
Does anybody have the general schedule for the feb4th NY reception? Or mainly, when it starts and ends?
It starts at Noon and will end around 4pm......book it Dan-O
It starts at Noon and will end around 4pm......book it Dan-O
Wow a Hawaii Five-o reference...

Sorry everyone, I really wanted to be there. They just didn't give me enough notice to get it done...🙁 Got way too expensive
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!
So excited about the 4th!
Question...does anyone else have a conditional offer? I have one that says I have to take immunology and virology and receive a B or higher...only thing is my school is not offering either of those the last semester. (Doesnt make much sense that they tell us this our last semester of senior year...👎)
Anyway, im sure they will talk about this at the reception, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they make exceptions..ie iv taken micro where we spent a month on virology and in my animal diseases went into a ton of immunology stuff. If anyone knows anything id love to hear it! Thanks
So excited about the 4th!
Question...does anyone else have a conditional offer? I have one that says I have to take immunology and virology and receive a B or higher...only thing is my school is not offering either of those the last semester. (Doesnt make much sense that they tell us this our last semester of senior year...👎)
Anyway, im sure they will talk about this at the reception, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they make exceptions..ie iv taken micro where we spent a month on virology and in my animal diseases went into a ton of immunology stuff. If anyone knows anything id love to hear it! Thanks
Hey guys!
So excited about the 4th!
Question...does anyone else have a conditional offer? I have one that says I have to take immunology and virology and receive a B or higher...only thing is my school is not offering either of those the last semester. (Doesnt make much sense that they tell us this our last semester of senior year...👎)
Anyway, im sure they will talk about this at the reception, but I was wondering if anyone knew if they make exceptions..ie iv taken micro where we spent a month on virology and in my animal diseases went into a ton of immunology stuff. If anyone knows anything id love to hear it! Thanks
Coridav, I'd email them about this. I also have a conditional offer, involving OChem II and Histology, which I was planning on taking. Histology wasn't offered this semester so I'm in Parasitology instead. From everyone I've heard, it shouldn't be a problem.
Email Yvonne, or whomever emailed you about your offer, to ask.
OK, let's do the official list for both cities. I would like to be able to identify and meet the SDN'ers, so a physical description would be nice....and/or a meeting place. I have never been to the Cornell Club though.
SAN FRAN:
NEW YORK:
flyhi - I am 5'10", late 30's, short brown hair. Not sure what i'm wearing yet, but probably grey pinstripe slacks, a white, long sleeved top, long grey wool coat. I will most likely be with an older man, glasses, and full head of thick white/gray hair.
SAN FRAN:
NEW YORK:
flyhi - I am 5'10", late 30's, short brown hair. Not sure what i'm wearing yet, but probably grey pinstripe slacks, a white, long sleeved top, long grey wool coat. I will most likely be with an older man, glasses, and full head of thick white/gray hair.
Hey guys, just wondering if you had any plans before the reception or after?
I am tied up with work before and have dinner plans after 🙁
SAN FRAN:
NEW YORK:
flyhi - I am 5'10", late 30's, short brown hair. Not sure what i'm wearing yet, but probably grey pinstripe slacks, a white, long sleeved top, long grey wool coat. I will most likely be with an older man, glasses, and full head of thick white/gray hair.
Whyevernot55- I'm mid-20's, and going to be wearing heels, so I'll be nearly 5'9", PROBABLY black pants with a blue oxford blouse, and I have extremely unruly red-brown hair which will be viciously pulled back into a bun. And I'll be with my mother, who is shorter than me, and has super-short red hair and is sassy. And I'm so excited!
NEW YORK:
flyhi - I am 5'10", late 30's, short brown hair. Not sure what i'm wearing yet, but probably grey pinstripe slacks, a white, long sleeved top, long grey wool coat. I will most likely be with an older man, glasses, and full head of thick white/gray hair.
Whyevernot55- I'm mid-20's, and going to be wearing heels, so I'll be nearly 5'9", PROBABLY black pants with a blue oxford blouse, and I have extremely unruly red-brown hair which will be viciously pulled back into a bun. And I'll be with my mother, who is shorter than me, and has super-short red hair and is sassy. And I'm so excited!
I took off San Fran because they met already.
NEW YORK:
flyhi - I am 5'10", late 30's, short brown hair. Not sure what i'm wearing yet, but probably grey pinstripe slacks, a white, long sleeved top, long grey wool coat. I will most likely be with an older man, glasses, and full head of thick white/gray hair.
Whyevernot55- I'm mid-20's, and going to be wearing heels, so I'll be nearly 5'9", PROBABLY black pants with a blue oxford blouse, and I have extremely unruly red-brown hair which will be viciously pulled back into a bun. And I'll be with my mother, who is shorter than me, and has super-short red hair and is sassy. And I'm so excited!
Wolphcats - I am mid-20s, male, 5'9", short full beard, very curly hair. I expect to be wearing a blue button down shirt. Not sure about a tie... we'll see.
NEW YORK:
flyhi - I am 5'10", late 30's, short brown hair. Not sure what i'm wearing yet, but probably grey pinstripe slacks, a white, long sleeved top, long grey wool coat. I will most likely be with an older man, glasses, and full head of thick white/gray hair.
Whyevernot55- I'm mid-20's, and going to be wearing heels, so I'll be nearly 5'9", PROBABLY black pants with a blue oxford blouse, and I have extremely unruly red-brown hair which will be viciously pulled back into a bun. And I'll be with my mother, who is shorter than me, and has super-short red hair and is sassy. And I'm so excited!
Wolphcats - I am mid-20s, male, 5'9", short full beard, very curly hair. I expect to be wearing a blue button down shirt. Not sure about a tie... we'll see.
That's great to hear about San Fran! I'm sitting in the airport now waiting for my flight to NY...it's running late :-( Nothing like getting to NYC during rush hour...grrr.
Look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!
Flights have been completely stupid today. My connecting flight from Philly to Newark was delayed forEVER because the flight crew was coming from La Guardia, and that flight was late. Then we had maintenance problems! Blech. There were like 2 whole inches of snow here. Come on people.
Flights have been completely stupid today. My connecting flight from Philly to Newark was delayed forEVER because the flight crew was coming from La Guardia, and that flight was late. Then we had maintenance problems! Blech. There were like 2 whole inches of snow here. Come on people.
We landed at LGA, and it took us 20 minutes to park the plane because the airport was that behind and busy.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 447
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 908