Educating Family and Friends about Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC-2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my journey to getting into medical school, I've noticed how little people know about Osteopathic Medicine and D.O. physicians and surgeons. All the posts I have recently read on this website concerning this issue have caused me to think of a way that might help me to educate my family and close friends. What do you think?

I was planning on sending a letter with the usual greetings and asking how everyone is doing, then mentioning that I will be attending Osteopathic Medical school, which grants a D.O. degree: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. I'd probably mention that I have noticed that many people don't know the similarities and differences between D.O.s and M.D.s. Next, I'd add that I have included a pamphlet addressing some of these issues; the pamphlet would be one of AOA's or one of the local Osteopathic Association's publications. At the end of the letter, I'd mention that if they have any questions to feel free to contact me at so and so, the local Osteopathic Association, or the American Osteopathic Association.

After thinking about how many people I'd be providing this information to (approximately 35 households), I realized that this might be a good way of educating our family and close friends about Osteopathic Medicine.

Those of us that are interested in educating people about D.O.s, could do something like this for under $20 (assuming we could get the pamphlets for little to no cost). I'm sure that our university, local Osteopathic Association, or AOA would provide us with some pamphlets.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Esteban Ramirez
MSU-COM 2005

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea!

Wishing you the best of success at MSU-COM!

Together :cool:

Hi Together-- I happened to peak at your profile and noticed that we have many things in common: interests in medicine, neuroscience, and psychobiology. For instance, I obtained my BS in Psychobiology with an emphasis in Neuroscience and will be attending medical school. You are not by chance also interested in Geriatrics at Boston U SOM? That would be a trip! Perhaps you are my long lost twin? (just kidding)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey DOC-2005

My grandmother who is a retired pediatrician had never hear of DO's. No one in my family except for the ones that live hear in south Florida know about Osteopathic medicine and that's because my aunt summer home was behind the old SECOM(now NSU-COM)building. That sounds like an awesome idea. Please let me know if you need any help.

Ciao,
beakerbetty

I think that's a great idea too. I am currently in Oriental medical school studying TCM (traditional chinese medicine) and am in the process of applying to med schools. When I told my parents I was leaning toward osteopathic school they said, "Great, and maybe someday in the future you'll decide to go to med school too"!! My parents are wonderfully open minded about alternative approaches to medicine and have always had a very holistic philosophy about health. Still they had never heard of a DO!