Efle's AAMC A1 Highlights - "Low Yield" Schools, Gender Balances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efle

not an elf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Because I got bored and have a weird sense of fun, I decided to poke around at the AAMC Table A-1 (Apps and Matriculants by School, State, and Sex).

We often hear some schools described on these boards as "low yield," such as Georgetown, because they have such an insane applicant volume every year. I thought it might be interesting to adjust for class size and see what schools have the most Applications per Seat. The full Table A1 dataset sorted by this metric is available here.

Here are the 25 schools with the most Apps per Seat. Light orange indicates the school's class composition is 70%+ instate.

PJa7rw6.png

You can compare that to the top 25 by sheer applicant volume, without adjustment for class size:

uVGn3ps.png

This same AAMC table also provides information about male and female apps/matriculants per school. Here are the 15 schools with the largest majorities male and female among their matriculants:

SzD1pXp.png

Slightly more interesting is comparing the gender balance among applicants vs matriculants for each university. There are a surprising number of schools in which men/women matriculate in different proportion than they apply. Some cases are pretty big, for example Duke, where 54% of applicants are male but 41% of matriculants are male. With arbitrary cutoffs at +/- 7.5% and using the data for men:

4KAHBkH.png

Enjoy! Sorry for the giant wall post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
Do as many of these as you want - I love them!!

Reactions: 9 users
I probably will do more. Limited options for killing down time at work, and fiddling with Excel makes it look like I'm being productive when people walk by!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm writing to validate your efforts and reinforce your belief that what you do is helpful for others in order to promote this behavior with positive reinforcement.

Interesting!

Reactions: 9 users
Man.... you need to get a life

JK! Very interesting, thanks!!!!

Weird that over 1/2 of the II's I received this year are from the "most apps per seat" list - not sure how the hell my app stands out more among 10,000+ apps than schools that receive way less apps, but interesting.

Also yeah sorry if the word "app" sounds weird to any of you now after reading it 10 times in that one sentence.

Reactions: 4 users
Weird that over 1/2 of the II's I received this year are from the "most apps per seat" list - not sure how the hell my app stands out more among 10,000+ apps than schools that receive way less apps, but interesting.

Also yeah sorry if the word "app" sounds weird to any of you now after reading it 10 times in that one sentence.
if you say app one more time...

wait now I said it

Reactions: 1 user
If you're still bored could you make a chart of schools with the least apps per seat? I feel like that could be interesting too haha

Reactions: 2 users
If you're still bored could you make a chart of schools with the least apps per seat? I feel like that could be interesting too haha
Oooh yes, but may end up being a bunch of very OOS-unfriendly state schools, would be interesting to see what private schools get least apps/seat

Reactions: 1 users
No, he needs to get a publication, because I'm sure that there's a medical education journal that will publish this!

well then... If you want someone to help you write this paper as you crunch out data, hit me up @efle

Keep in mind in most of these cases you need to be a resident of the state to benefit at all!

Lowest 25 (excluded CUNY which somehow was 60 apps, 60 matriculants):

9Ame7JA.png

Edit: Bonus, lowest 25 from among only the schools with 30%+ Out of State

ewAVdxc.png

Reactions: 7 users
Keep in mind in most of these cases you need to be a resident of the state to benefit at all!

Lowest 25 (excluded CUNY which somehow was 60 apps, 60 matriculants):

9Ame7JA.png

Edit: Bonus, lowest 25 from among only the schools with 30%+ Out of State

ewAVdxc.png
CUNY I believe can only be applied to as a sort of BS/MD program. But thank you for this! I wish I would've been smart enough to do something like this before applying haha

Also I wish I lived in Mississippi haha

Hey everybody. Because I got bored and have a weird sense of fun, I decided to poke around at the AAMC Table A-1 (Apps and Matriculants by School, State, and Sex).

We often hear some schools described on these boards as "low yield," such as Georgetown, because they have such an insane applicant volume every year. I thought it might be interesting to adjust for class size and see what schools have the most Applications per Seat. The full Table A1 dataset sorted by this metric is available here.

Here are the 25 schools with the most Apps per Seat. Light orange indicates the school's class composition is 70%+ instate.

PJa7rw6.png

You can see the top 25 by sheer applicant volume, without adjustment for class size, here.

This same AAMC table also provides information about male and female apps/matriculants per school. Here are the 15 schools with the largest majorities male and female among their matriculants:

SzD1pXp.png

Slightly more interesting is comparing the gender balance among applicants vs matriculants for each university. There are a surprising number of schools in which men/women matriculate in different proportion than they apply. Some cases are pretty big, for example Duke, where 54% of applicants are male but 41% of matriculants are male. With arbitrary cutoffs at +/- 7.5% and using the data for men:

4KAHBkH.png

Enjoy! Sorry for the giant wall post.
I probably will do more. Limited options for killing down time at work, and fiddling with Excel makes it look like I'm being productive when people walk by!

Nice work! I'll keep updating Essential SDN Wisdom with these

Having grown up in Utah, I was not surprised to see that only 39.8% of applicants to the University of Utah are women--the lowest out of any US school! Thanks for all of the lovely tables and graphs @efle!

Honestly surprised that NYMC isn't on this list. It seems to be the SDN poster child for a low-yield school!

Great work man! I hope to see this published one day.

Honestly surprised that NYMC isn't on this list. It seems to be the SDN poster child for a low-yield school!

Great work man! I hope to see this published one day.
Same with Tulane! I guess their class size makes up for it.

Wow half of my IIs come from most apps per seat-- I should be counting my blessings!
This is a really cool!!!