einstein vs temple vs wayne state vs usf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor027

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently waitlisted at all of these schools. I wanted to weight my options now, so that when an acceptance comes I can respond promptly.

little bit about me: I was born in Cameroon, immigrated here at a very young age. I am a URM, 23, am keeping an open-mind to what specialty I am interested in. I am very interested in health equity, research, and medical education. I went to undergrad in the east coast and would prefer to live there again.

Einstein (HPWL)
Pros:
  • p/f pre-clinical
  • 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
  • located in the bronx which has a highly diverse and underserved patient population
  • alot of global health opportunities
  • best interview day experience; really connected with my interviewer and the students
  • echo clinic - early clinical experience
  • students seem very happy and friendly
  • snma has many events
Cons:
  • unsure about financial aid/scholarship
  • family lives in texas :\
Temple
Pros:
  • amazing interview day
  • very diverse student population
  • highly underserved populations to serve
  • p/f first two years
  • great clinical exposure
  • alot of social justice/health equity work
Cons:
  • safety is an issue here?
  • disorganized administration?
Wayne State
Pros:
  • p/f first two years
  • several hopsitals to rotate in
  • huge underserved population
Cons:
  • large class size
  • also disorganized administration

USF
Pros:
  • new facility
  • great research opportunities
  • good rotational sites
Cons:
  • traditional grading system
  • not much emphasis on health equity

In summary, I am leaning towards Einstein due to how much I admire the school and how I feel as though it aligns with my goals. I love the location, the student body, environment and the medical education/connections I could gain. Following this would be Temple. I am unsure about Wayne and USF. Thank you everyone for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I find the safety issues at Temple to be a bit overblown. Yes North Philly itself is sketchy, but the hospital area is fine and your commute home should be fine as well. Most students don't live in North Philly. There are good housing options in Center City/South Philly, close to the BSL line which allows you for a very direct and easy commute. You can also choose to have a car and live Northwest (Manayunk and the like).

Einstein would be my choice. If you are comfortable in an urban area with underserved populations, the Bronx has it. Lots of research opportunities at Einstein as well. Congrats on being on the HPWL!

Reactions: 1 user