EIS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, kids are back under control... =)

Arrival was 7:30am. Everyone I saw going in was very formally dressed, most women in pantsuits, some skirts; men in suits with jackets. Check in with security at the front desk, then went to a waiting room that they were in and out of throughout the day. Waited and chatted among themselves until someone did a brief welcome and explained how things would work. There are quite a few different rooms and offices in the building so a map was provided along with individual schedules for each applicant. He said at some point in the day, his schedule changed, but it was just a room shift or something, because one of his interviews was by phone (she would have been there, but had a family emergency, luckily it's someone he'd met at the April Conference, so they could picture each other...tried for a video chat, but the tech guys couldn't get it to work). Then they had a few minutes to find all their rooms and whatever before interviews.

Interviews started around 9, I think. They were each 30 minutes and there was a 15 minute buffer in between, so noone ran late and you always have time to use the restroom, find your next room, etc. There were 4 blocks before lunch. No interviews were on top of lunch, so everyone could have the time to eat and whatever. The next building over had a cafe with all the usual things. There was also at least one other restaurant within walking, but I think everyone just stuck to the cafe. Then there were slots after lunch, and again, they all had a buffer. My husband ended up being done at 2:45 and he thought there was only 1 or 2 done before him. Lucky, since as it was we didn't get home until nearly midnight and had 3 very cranky kiddos. So, definitely plan on being there the whole time, especially if you need time to get through Atlanta traffic to the airport for a flight.

Each interview had slightly different questions. The interview everyone has with one of the 6 on the decision committee are the same, we think. Then there are variations on the theme from each of the specific areas you've requested. In one case, he was asked to explain why he was interested in that group. The other 2 were self-explanatory. Everyone was really nice. He said the toughest question for him was one about describing a stressful or conflict situation he'd been in and how he handled it. He's not a conflict type, so he didn't have anything much to say except just that he was really mellow and so hadn't had any situations like that. Apparently one officer at some point recently had a conflict with a local he was working with and ended up being reassigned to a different detail where having a temper wasn't an issue.

One thing I found surprising was that some of the interviews were set up at tables in a large room, so you had other interviews going on around you. He said there was plenty of space between and he didn't even notice the other interviews or noise. He also said that all the interviewers were taking notes, either typing or writing, nearly the entire time. In one case, he wasn't sure it was going very well until at one point near the end when the interviewer stopped typing and looked up intently. Then he told my husband that what he'd said was exactly right, and what he needed to hear from him as an applicant. (It was something related to an experience he's had with realizing that the public knows something is wrong, but can't do the science to prove it. He said something about knowing that he can do the science and how exciting that is to know he can provide what this member of the public needed.)

What else...?...Oh, things about the details. The way it works is, let's say there's a salmonella outbreak in Illinois. The Illinois health department EIS Officer will get first dibs on taking the detail. You can always say no to any detail, so maybe that officer says no because it's the 7th salmonella he's done. So then it goes out to the larger group and whoever wants it can take it. Sometimes there's another tier in there, like: local, others in that region, everyone. They get emails nearly every day with some kind of opportunity. Some will be jumped on immediately, some will be resent until someone can finally take it. I think there are definitely priority projects that come out with a lot more pressure to be immediately filled. Some are drop everything and head to the airport, some are planned weeks in advance. Of course, it depends on the kind of outbreak. An outbreak of swimming pool drownings in Seattle over several years isn't going to be a drop everything kind of investigation.

So, there are some assignments that tend to be very heavy on travel, even outside of the details, and then there are others where you really don't have much travel time unless you're on detail. With the latter, you get done with the learning tasks (I forget what they're called, but you know, like every officer has to do xyz specific things during their 2 years) and then you can basically do whatever research or such you want the rest of your time. The travel heavy ones might be a little more challenging when it comes to balancing the long-term list of things and the in-your-face day to day work.

In all cases, however, the current officers said that when you're not on detail, it's very much a 40/week take your weekends off kind of appointment. But on detail, it's 16 hour days for as long as you're there...although he wasn't clear on if that's when it's the drop everything ebola-type investigations, or if your run-of-the-mill outbreak is still done that intensely. I suppose it saves $$ to spend as little time in travel as possible, so long days make sense. As an EIS officer, you're not eligible for overtime. It's salary appointment. But you do have annual and sick leave (depending on if you're Commissioned Corps, it's about 2-4 weeks/year annual).

Everyone got some information about the choices available for Corps vs. Civilian, with specifics on salary and other benefits. They also talked to the current officers about the pros and cons of that choice. At present, only MDs (I think maybe nurses, too?) can do CC after EIS, so PhDs would basically be kicked out after EIS unless they change their priorities. 2 years ago, PhDs could do it, but I guess some big revisions happened recently.

Also, they said that the EIS Selection Committee will meet in early December to select the Class of 2015. "If you are selected, you will be contacted by telephone by a member of the EIS Selection Committee. You will then be given some time (typically 1 week) to make your decision to accept or decline the offer. If you choose to accept the offer you will also need to make the often difficult decision of selecting a personnel system for the 2-years." Which is why they provided the information on CC vs Civ and encouraged everyone to do the research necessary to make that decision now so they don't feel rushed in December.

There was also a page handed out with information about the Prematch EIS Assignments. Those are usually the state health department appointments. We thought it was interesting that if a PhD candidate hasn't defended, they can't participate in prematch unless they have another qualifying degree (MD, DVM). These matches begin in December and end in February, so it's the only wat to know before a couple weeks after the April conference where you'll be assigned. Also interesting is that any prematch positions that aren't filled by a certain time are offered to the applicants on the wait list. So if you're waitlisted and willing to do a prematch position, then you might get bumped up ahead of those who were accepted outright. I thought that was pretty cool.

I think that's all the general stuff I can think of. Obviously, a lot of it was specific to him. As we've talked about it, we've had a few questions that we wish he'd asked. Mostly related to the amount of travel for those not in Atlanta, which seems like it would be quite a bit larger because of the July training and such. Does anyone know if that first July instruction is at Emory like, apparently, future education weeks are?

If anyone has questions that I can answer, I'll keep an eye on the forum. Good luck to us all!!! If nothing else, I know that having this forum has helped us feel connected, and that it will help future applicants have a better feel for the process. It seems like they keep information about the program so close-to-the-chest that sometimes it's hard to evaluate whether or not it really is a good fit...although what's not to love about being on the front lines of public health digging deeply into the immediate needs of the population?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much for all the detail information, mlkmnsgrl!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Fyrebyrd3- I just called- they said the email confirmation should arrive today. Could you please let me know when you receive yours (and U I'll do the same)? I want to make sure we're not lost in the shuffle.

Mlksmnsgirl- Thanks *so* much for sharing your husband's experience with us! It's very kind that you take time out of your busy schedule to keep us updated!!!!

Vfozzie- On my form, Nov 7th is the last date - however they may have added more dates given that more interviews were sent out per ISHQ's intel.

Good luck all!

Hi tranc, have they let you know which day they'd like you to come? I responded but no word yet. Since the first date I put is next monday I'd really like to book a flight sometime soon!

Any word for anybody else?

Thanks for all the info here guys; it's been really great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck Everyone...Go Get Em.....
To us who did not get an interview so far, don't worry, its not the end of the world, disappointing yes, but we can be useful in other areas as well.

This is such a supportive group! I am assuming it will be no interview for me since I have not heard anything. But, it still says my application is being reviewed. So, I guess it is just a matter of time while they update things. Has anyone actually found out they are not getting an interview, by having an application status change to that effect?

I guess it is time to move forward with plan B!

Reactions: 1 user
It's truly my pleasure! I've been frustrated for a couple years about the lack of information on this process, so I felt it was important that we all build that record. I do feel bad that I'm not sharing more specifics, but did feel like it would be inappropriate to give very specifics (like a list of the questions asked, etc).

To those interviewing in the coming weeks, please share your experiences with us! Everyone's insights are valuable. Plus we've still got a long couple months waiting for the final word and I know it'll help to keep up our conversation!

To those who haven't heard, I'm sorry for how drawn out this wait has been!! I know it's not a typical year with so many overseas, but I still think it should have been managed better. Particularly because last minute travel and student budgets are not compatible! One way or another, I have my fingers crossed that by the end of the week you'll have definite answers!

I wish funds were unlimited and they could just take all of you...the world could surely use all of you!

Support Helps....Hope is there, and just be optimistic and tell yourself, all is well. It would be great to just hear an answer so we can move on and decide on other plans which can be equally rewarding and beneficial for the society. I am a little different as i have grown up kids, and i need to decide and move ahead. I am employed by the state but had to make a change as i have to move to Atlanta either ways. I have always advocated Public Health and just want to switch over to it full time from clinical medicine. Lets see. Life is a struggle and a learning process.
BTW you cant get a human on the EIS telephone number TODAY , its an answering machine.

mlkmnsgrl- you dont need to share specifics, we dont want anyone to get into trouble. I humbly say thank you but maybe MR mlkman would share his opinion too: :highfive:

Last edited:
mlkmnsgrl- you dont need to share specifics, we dont want anyone to get into trouble. I humbly say thank you but maybe MR mlkman would share his opinion too: :highfive:

Lol! Mr Milkman has 2 days to get his analysis done and submitted to his committee for his interim meeting or we won't be graduated in time to do EIS whether we make it through the process or not! Not to mention papers in various process with editors, internal and external reviews to write, and tonight is Cub Scouts (he's a bear pack leader) :laugh: I'll try to get him to write something around Thanksgiving when things calm down...theoretically! :xf:

Lol! Mr Milkman has 2 days to get his analysis done and submitted to his committee for his interim meeting or we won't be graduated in time to do EIS whether we make it through the process or not! Not to mention papers in various process with editors, internal and external reviews to write, and tonight is Cub Scouts (he's a bear pack leader) :laugh: I'll try to get him to write something around Thanksgiving when things calm down...theoretically! :xf:
Good Luck, to him. I am handling the kids alright while mrs is on her psych residency in Atlanta. BTW i live in the foot hills of NC .
If you say you will get him to write something, i am 200% sure he will.:thumbup:

Good Luck, to him. I am handling the kids alright while mrs is on her psych residency in Atlanta. BTW i live in the foot hills of NC .
If you say you will get him to write something, i am 200% sure he will.:thumbup:

Well, howdy, howdy neighbor. =) Does she have to be down there long? All of you who've mentioned doing things separate from your spouse, especially when you're talking years at a time, are either amazingly committed to your professions or should BE committed (I have a lovely assortment of straight jackets from which to choose)! I've got a MA and had a developing career before our first kid was born, but I'm very blessed to be able to stay at home full-time to care for the munchkins. I'm nervous enough about the amount of EIS travel required if we're assigned somewhere other than Atlanta! Guess I'm co-dependent. Lol.

No I will be moving to Atlanta next year. Couple of years is a long time to be away from your spouse. I did not want to join her this year and be rushed into moving and changing a job. I will do it at my own pace with decisions which have been thought about well.
Being a mother is a full time job, and there are no two ways about it. You have made a sacrifice of a highest kind.

Last edited:
Fyrebyrd3- I just called- they said the email confirmation should arrive today. Could you please let me know when you receive yours (and U I'll do the same)? I want to make sure we're not lost in the shuffle.

Mlksmnsgirl- Thanks *so* much for sharing your husband's experience with us! It's very kind that you take time out of your busy schedule to keep us updated!!!!

Vfozzie- On my form, Nov 7th is the last date - however they may have added more dates given that more interviews were sent out per ISHQ's intel.

Good luck all!

No word yet and can't get anyone to answer the phone at CDC. Any luck on your end?

I think there may continue to be invitations and interviews for a while. The Ebola situation will not settle down for about a year, I bet. They may decide to increase the number of fellows this year, which they did after 9/11. So I'm not getting too upset about not getting an invitation to interview yet. I'll be flogging my resume at APHA next month, and also watching to see if CDC posts any short-term jobs in W Africa, among other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
No word yet and can't get anyone to answer the phone at CDC. Any luck on your end?
Just got confirmation.

I agree with annebert. Things are super screwed up right now - administratively I think it's a nightmare.

This is such a supportive group! I am assuming it will be no interview for me since I have not heard anything. But, it still says my application is being reviewed. So, I guess it is just a matter of time while they update things. Has anyone actually found out they are not getting an interview, by having an application status change to that effect?

I guess it is time to move forward with plan B!
Keep the faith, when a door closes a window opens somewhere....its a matter of patience and a few more days or even weeks. If you have been following Ebola there are changes made everyday and i think they are in overclock mode. I wish you and everyone else for some good news soon...including me :)

The Ebola situation will not settle down for about a year, I bet. They may decide to increase the number of fellows this year, which they did after 9/11. So I'm not getting too upset about not getting an invitation to interview yet..
I really hope they increase the number of EISO this year and we all get accepted!

It's truly my pleasure! I've been frustrated for a couple years about the lack of information on this process, so I felt it was important that we all build that record. I do feel bad that I'm not sharing more specifics, but did feel like it would be inappropriate to give very specifics (like a list of the questions asked, etc).
mlkmnsgrl! Your information makes this thread resourceful and I appreciate to have this supporting community during this application period!
If you don't mind, can you ask your husband whether he was asked any question directly related to his background (major study background) or not? Thank you so much!

Anyone having access issues with the EIS site to check one's application status?

Anyone having access issues with the EIS site to check one's application status?
Its stuck kinda :) @ 9.12 pm Eastern
This could mean the flood gates will open soon ???

Well I just checked the site, it still says the application is reviewed. Initially it was kind of stuck but now it working fine.

Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart.
~ Rumi~

Just thought I'd let people know I just checked and the status finally changed to not getting an interview. Good luck everyone.

Just got confirmation.

I agree with annebert. Things are super screwed up right now - administratively I think it's a nightmare.

I received an email yesterday too. Good luck!

Just thought I'd let people know I just checked and the status finally changed to not getting an interview. Good luck everyone.[/QUOTE

Sorry to hear this NeuroDoc4! I hope this will not deter you from applying again!

Good luck to everyone!

I am sure you will be be beneficial to the society with your skills in some other form. I wish you luck and also calm myself down, as i am nowhere, haven't heard anything, and the status is the same as it has been. I wish you the best of the best.

Ok I was wrong. I officailly didn't get an interview. If anyone is interested, CDC is looking for someone to do Ebola/Marburg research...

Thanks for this thread, it kept me informed during the process. Good luck everyone.

I am also a "no go" for this year. Does anyone who applied last year know if you can request feedback on your application? Would be great to get some input on how it could be improved for both future EIS and other federal employment applications.

Keep fighting the good fight out there.

I am also a "no go" for this year. Does anyone who applied last year know if you can request feedback on your application? Would be great to get some input on how it could be improved for both future EIS and other federal employment applications.

Keep fighting the good fight out there.
I think its best to keep this forum and threads going and keep in touch with the people who have interviewed and will be selected, that way the networking part is there and it can help build a stronger relationship.

As usual and again, this time also I have not been called for an interview. Good luck to those whose are expecting an interview and invited for an interview. Time to move on.

Ok I was wrong. I officailly didn't get an interview. If anyone is interested, CDC is looking for someone to do Ebola/Marburg research...

Thanks for this thread, it kept me informed during the process. Good luck everyone.

Well how could we apply for this, if any suggestion do let me know

I think its best to keep this forum and threads going and keep in touch with the people who have interviewed and will be selected, that way the networking part is there and it can help build a stronger relationship.
I completely agree. Best of luck to all!

As usual and again, this time also I have not been called for an interview. Good luck to those whose are expecting an interview and invited for an interview. Time to move on.

Well how could we apply for this, if any suggestion do let me know
Sorry I should have said, you need to be a US citizen to work for CDC. If you are a US citizen, just Google CDC jobs.

Last edited:
UPDATE @ 1630 EST 10/22/2014
Just called EIS, according to the person i spoke to, the interviews have not started yet :rofl:.
So the answer to my question about updates was
"wait till the end of next week, and keep checking the website, there is a pool of applications that has not been decided either ways yet". I am a more confused mass of protoplasm then i was before calling them. I will be optimistic and say hope is still there.

UPDATE @ 1630 EST 10/22/2014
Just called EIS, according to the person i spoke to, the interviews have not started yet :rofl:.
So the answer to my question about updates was
"wait till the end of next week, and keep checking the website, there is a pool of applications that has not been decided either ways yet". I am a more confused mass of protoplasm then i was before calling them. I will be optimistic and say hope is still there.
Until the end of next week??? This is crazy! My application status says they are still reviewing it, but I was expecting an answer either positive or negative by today. I guess I will do as you ISHQ, and will keep being positve! Thanks for the update!

Sorry I should have said, you need to be a US citizen to work for CDC. If you are a US citizen, just Google CDC jobs.
Thanks annebert for this info, even the EIS is very difficult for non-US citizens, in a year they take around 8-10 candidates so the chances are very difficult and you have to be exceptionally good and with some strong reference. In my case I don't know what was the reason for consecutive rejection, may be I should ask them.

Thanks annebert for this info, even the EIS is very difficult for non-US citizens, in a year they take around 8-10 candidates so the chances are very difficult and you have to be exceptionally good and with some strong reference. In my case I don't know what was the reason for consecutive rejection, may be I should ask them.
If you are applying from India, they have a local EIS program there and i dont think they take candidates from India ( I could be wrong)
http://nicd.nic.in/index1.asp?linkid=260

Last edited:
If you are applying from India, they have a local EIS program there and i dont think they take candidates from India ( I could be wrong)
http://nicd.nic.in/index1.asp?linkid=260
Yeah i know about that and I also know who and how the program is run, so I dint want to apply for that program. As you said probably that could be one reason for not getting invited for the interview.

Any news or status update for anyone.....any yes or no.......

Received an invitation to interview today at 11:00 am Pacific Time. No other dates were added. The last date is still November 7 for interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Received an invitation to interview today at 11:00 am Pacific Time. No other dates were added. The last date is still November 7 for interview.
Congratulations !!!

My application page still says they are reviewing it. Congrats coconut81, good to know they are still sending invitations!

Hi everyone! I've been reading to keep up with EIS updates. Just to add, my application still says it's being reviewed. Baby Boy is due in the next two weeks, so even in the slim chance that I'm invited to interview I seriously doubt I'd be able to follow through.

Also, in past years there seems to have been some degree of choice in deployment for EISOs (international/domestic as well as length of time). Given that I'd have a very young child if all goes well, I'm no longer confident that I can commit to this program knowing upfront that the expectation would be for me to spend at least one month in West Africa.

Any other mothers facing similar issues/decisions? What are your thoughts?

Hi everyone! I've been reading to keep up with EIS updates. Just to add, my application still says it's being reviewed. Baby Boy is due in the next two weeks, so even in the slim chance that I'm invited to interview I seriously doubt I'd be able to follow through.

Also, in past years there seems to have been some degree of choice in deployment for EISOs (international/domestic as well as length of time). Given that I'd have a very young child if all goes well, I'm no longer confident that I can commit to this program knowing upfront that the expectation would be for me to spend at least one month in West Africa.

Hats off to you for sacrificing what you have been striving for. The child will be lucky to have a mother like you and i hope he remembers this for years to come. This is amazing and i am sure you can apply next year if you are ready.
Good Luck and have a wonderful day.

My application is also in the under process status...who knows.

RFH,

I interviewed today and they made it clear no one had to go to west Africa, one of the current eis officers is fulfilling her portion by working in the emergency operations center here in Atlanta. I spoke with many eis officers with families today some who were pregnant during the application process as well. While I admire your ability to do what is best for your family I wanted to let you know that if your only reasoning is Africa that you should ask them because it doesn't seem like that is required at all.

Congratulations though on your coming bundle of joy!

mlkmnsgrl! Your information makes this thread resourceful and I appreciate to have this supporting community during this application period!
If you don't mind, can you ask your husband whether he was asked any question directly related to his background (major study background) or not? Thank you so much!

Sorry for the delay...we've had a crazy week and I didn't keep up on here. I asked him and he said that every interviewer had read his application and that the questions were varied across the interviews. So he felt like anything from his past that was relevant to EIS was on the table. He said it's really a question of how do they arrive at who they pick--is there a scoring rubric, a ranking by each interviewer of all the people they interviewed, etc--to know what each is trying to get at. He didn't get any feedback on how they decide how the interviews went and what weight that bears on the final choice. Long and short is be ready for anything, I guess.

He also said that every center had set questions and maybe they personalized how they asked rather than reading it, but it was still a set list. They had a few minutes here and there where they'd finished all the questions and could just chat casually and then you really never know where an interviewer will lead the conversation.

Congratulations! That's great news! I was so sad when I saw that NeuroDoc4's status changed to no interivew, but it's really encouraging for me to know that some of you may still be getting notice, albeit VERY late!

I agree with JJ_epi. They did mention specifically that you can always choose whether or not to accept a detail. We were kind of thinking the same thing as far as making a major contribution on the logistics side in Atlanta (especially if that's where we're located so it's not a travel assignment). Especially since he has no medical background whatsoever...but who knows! Maybe they'll need exactly what he has and he'll decide he wants to go.

All the best with your sweet baby boy!

I interviewed today. I spoke with many eis officers with families today some who were pregnant during the application process as well.

How did it go?! I'd love to hear about your experience...although I'm sure you're looking forward to getting home to your family first!

Has anyone else interviewed yet?

Congrats to everyone who interviewed and has a date. I am still tapping the table waiting.....for a yes or a no...

Congrats to everyone who interviewed and has a date. I am still tapping the table waiting.....for a yes or a no...
Same here, ISHQ. And it is now Friday 6:20 pm in Atlanta. So I guess we will have another weekend with no news. Still, there is hope! :)

How did it go?! I'd love to hear about your experience...although I'm sure you're looking forward to getting home to your family first!

Has anyone else interviewed yet?

Right now I think I am too tired to know lol... In general everyone was very helpful and friendly. The other applicants were also friendly and very accomplished. I found I got the same questions in different versions at all of my interviews. But I agree with your husband I have no idea how they are going to choose because the other applicants all seemed to feel the same way... Some questions went better than others but all the interviews seemed overall positive... I think everyone I talked to had a good feeling leaving. I stayed after my last interview to chat it amazed me the diversity of experiences... They did say that the total applicant pool was extremely competitive this year so kudos to everyone who applied!

[QUOTE="JJ_epi, post:.. They did say that the total applicant pool was extremely competitive this year so kudos to everyone who applied![/QUOTE]

I am curious, did they happen to mention how big the 2015 class might be (still around 80, or maybe larger)?

Right now I think I am too tired to know lol... In general everyone was very helpful and friendly. The other applicants were also friendly and very accomplished. I found I got the same questions in different versions at all of my interviews. But I agree with your husband I have no idea how they are going to choose because the other applicants all seemed to feel the same way... Some questions went better than others but all the interviews seemed overall positive... I think everyone I talked to had a good feeling leaving. I stayed after my last interview to chat it amazed me the diversity of experiences... They did say that the total applicant pool was extremely competitive this year so kudos to everyone who applied!
Good Luck.......