EIS 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am hoping tomorrow we will hear something!!! Good luck to you all!!

Members don't see this ad.

Me too! I've been checking my emails constantly. Best of luck to everyone!!!
Meanwhile, I'm deliberately not checking my email because it's like Schrodinger's cat: I have both been invited and not invited to interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a rejection email. Best of luck to everyone!

Best of luck to everyone. Virtual interviews will definitely be an interesting change up.

Last edited:
Futureeis, brw2013, PatB and everyone else who didn't get an invite, I want to share the gist of something an EIS alumni told me once. This rejection is by no means a measure of your worth or your ability to thrive and achieve greatness with or without the program. EIS selections are often dictated by internal politics, needs, and goals that may be opaque, and may change year by year. The fact that you know of this program, feel that it is in line with your goals, and have applied, means that you wish to achieve great things and make systemic changes in the world. Rejection reasons can range from wanting more people with X kind of degrees in the program for a specific series of projects to feeling you are overqualified and would not benefit enough from the training. You may be a good fit next year, or you may not actually need this program for your career, even if you think it would otherwise align. I look forward to seeing all of you out there making waves in public health epidemiology in the future, because I have no doubt that you are all amazing in person in addition to on SDN XD

For the other folks who did get invites, does anyone know anything else about the interview process? Is this going to be a day-long phone call? Zoom conferences? How does one prepare for such an endeavor? Ahhhhh.

Reactions: 3 users
Futureeis, brw2013, PatB and everyone else who didn't get an invite, I want to share the gist of something an EIS alumni told me once. This rejection is by no means a measure of your worth or your ability to thrive and achieve greatness with or without the program. EIS selections are often dictated by internal politics, needs, and goals that may be opaque, and may change year by year. The fact that you know of this program, feel that it is in line with your goals, and have applied, means that you wish to achieve great things and make systemic changes in the world. Rejection reasons can range from wanting more people with X kind of degrees in the program for a specific series of projects to feeling you are overqualified and would not benefit enough from the training. You may be a good fit next year, or you may not actually need this program for your career, even if you think it would otherwise align. I look forward to seeing all of you out there making waves in public health epidemiology in the future, because I have no doubt that you are all amazing in person in addition to on SDN XD

For the other folks who did get invites, does anyone know anything else about the interview process? Is this going to be a day-long phone call? Zoom conferences? How does one prepare for such an endeavor? Ahhhhh.
I have no idea!! This will be very different from previous years. I know under normal circumstances, we would have 2 panel interviews then a written assessment (whatever that looks like). I wonder if they'll tell us or we can ask how to prepare.

I got my letter this morning. No interview, but no worries! Have many coals in the fire. I will be sure to ask my classmate for interview tips for those who do get an interview.

After a gut-wrenching rejection last year, I got an interview invite this year! So hang in there, those that didn't get one this year - if this is something you really want, keep plugging!

EISHopeful2021 - that was very well put! I've heard the exact same thing from EIS alumni in the past - the selection process if often very complex and not at all a reflection on anyone's dedication or worth. What really helped to improve my application this year was talking to as many EIS alumni and current EIOSs as I could - I reached out through LinkedIn or was put in touch with people through colleagues. Every single one of them was happy to give some insight into the program and was immensely encouraging. Also, as the conference didn't happen this year (and potentially may not go ahead next year either), I'm sure they are happy to hear from prospective EISOs.

To those that did get an interview, this year will be very different to previous years indeed! Hopefully we will receive some more information soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
After a gut-wrenching rejection last year, I got an interview invite this year! So hang in there those that didn't get one this year - if this is something you really want, keep plugging!

EISHopeful2021 - that was very well put! I've heard the exact same thing from EIS alumni in the past - the selection process if often very complex and not at all a reflection on the anyones dedication or worth. What really helped to improve my application this year was talking to as may EIS alumni and current EIOSs as I could - I reached out through LinkedIn or was put in touch with people through colleagues. Every single one of them was happy to give some insight into the program and was immensely encouraging. Also, as the conference didn't happen this year (and potentially may not go ahead next year either), I'm sure they are happy to hear from prospective EISOs.

To those that did get an interview, this year will be very different to previous years indeed! Hopefully we will receive some more information soon.

Congrats Epi_cailin! You're an inspiration to all of us!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who have gotten interviews! Would any of you be willing to share your background and what led you to apply?

Congrats to all who have gotten interviews! Would any of you be willing to share your background and what led you to apply?

I'm an MD/MPH currently completing residency. I have minimal research and public health experience, but I think I had a strong personal statement and rec letters. Feeling incredibly lucky right now.

I am a PhD studying more social epi/genetics. I think my letters and personal statement really helped me. So incredibly excited!

Hi everyone! I’m super stoked to have gotten an interview. I am currently finishing up my PhD in Virology and I finished my MPH in May. I also work for a non-profit that does work in Kenya. I also think that my letters and personal statement were really important for my application. I sent in 6 rather than the required 4 letters so I could ensure that I had people who could speak about my PhD, MPH, and non-profit work. Good luck to those who got an interview!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview.

I did not get one. That's okay because I was kind of leaning a different direction anyway. The application for medical fellowships opens after the EIS application so my thinking had shifted.

In any event I have to admit, I would love to know what exactly they are looking for...

I'm just going to put this out there in case it helps anyone else who missed out as well. I have a MD, PhD (studied influenza evolution mostly), MPH, MS, and will have another MS and complete residency before we would have started. I sent 5 LOR including one from my PhD advisor who is also the chair of a top 10 biology department. I did the CDC epi elective in med school. I was on the leadership team of a non-profit clinic for some time (had a letter from the clinic director also). I have done clinical work internationally (had a letter about that). I published ~20 papers in graduate school; about half were on viral evolution in some manner.

Not sure there was much else to do before this other than completing a medical fellowship first. Sometimes it is just not in the cards.

I did not get one. That's okay because I was kind of leaning a different direction anyway. The application for medical fellowships opens after the EIS application so my thinking had shifted.

In any event I have to admit, I would love to know what exactly they are looking for...

I'm just going to put this out there in case it helps anyone else who missed out as well. I have a MD, PhD (studied influenza evolution mostly), MPH, MS, and will have another MS and complete residency before we would have started. I sent 5 LOR including one from my PhD advisor who is also the chair of a top 10 biology department. I did the CDC epi elective in med school. I was on the leadership team of a non-profit clinic for some time (had a letter from the clinic director also). I have done clinical work internationally (had a letter about that). I published ~20 papers in graduate school; about half were on viral evolution in some manner.

Not sure there was much else to do before this other than completing a medical fellowship first. Sometimes it is just not in the cards.

You sound like an excellent candidate! I hope you apply again. In the mean time, best of luck with the medical fellowships!

Congrats to all who got interviews! Been lurking here for a couple weeks. From talking to a number of former officers (including those who had interviewed applicants for EIS), I wonder if they may have considered you to be overqualified? I heard this concern from multiple people when I asked if I should pursue x or y additional training prior to applying. E.g. I asked if working in a state or local health department for a few years would be wise and the response was "If you worked for more than one year, you would be considered overqualified and they might consider you not to be a good fit." Another said something along the lines of, "EIS is a recruitment program, but it's also very much a training program that we want participants to benefit from." This is probably not helpful. I wonder if you could ask the office for specifics on your application?

Last edited by a moderator:

You were exceptionally qualified, and are bound for great successes in your career. Like someone already said, maybe they thought your training was already so good, that EIS wouldn't really add much? Who knows. There may be people who aren't as qualified, but that may get a greater "return on investment" from the fellowship as compared to you where your level of knowledge across multiple disciplines is already so good.

Best of luck in all your career endeavours my friend!

E.g. I asked if working in a state or local health department for a few years would be wise and the response was "If you worked for more than one year, you would be considered overqualified and they might consider you not to be a good fit."

Not OP, but I wonder if this was my issue: I'd worked for four years as a DIS - contact tracing for STIs - in a local health department. I still have so much to learn though, and I really, really wanted this as my next step.

Hi, all! Nice to meet everyone. I'm a veterinarian (DVM/MPH) finishing up my PhD in virology following a 2-year residency in clinical microbiology. I have an interview and I'm trying to prepare a bit! I interviewed in 2014 at the end of my DVM/MPH program and didn't get in, so I did a residency/PhD program to strengthen my application. They only accept ~6 veterinarians very year so I'm anxious but I'm hoping specializing and getting a PhD will help.

It will be interesting to see if they accept more officers this year due to the pandemic...

Trying to imagine what the writing assignment will be like.

I hope everyone is well - I'm glad this forum exists for discussion. Congrats to everyone who got an interview and for those who didn't, I've heard they really like to see it when people re-apply :) It seems like such a crapshoot sometimes as to who gets interviews and who doesn't.

Hi, all! Nice to meet everyone. I'm a veterinarian (DVM/MPH) finishing up my PhD in virology following a 2-year residency in clinical microbiology. I have an interview and I'm trying to prepare a bit! I interviewed in 2014 at the end of my DVM/MPH program and didn't get in, so I did a residency/PhD program to strengthen my application. They only accept ~6 veterinarians very year so I'm anxious but I'm hoping specializing and getting a PhD will help.

It will be interesting to see if they accept more officers this year due to the pandemic...

Trying to imagine what the writing assignment will be like.

I hope everyone is well - I'm glad this forum exists for discussion. Congrats to everyone who got an interview and for those who didn't, I've heard they really like to see it when people re-apply :) It seems like such a crapshoot sometimes as to who gets interviews and who doesn't.
Hey congratulations on the interview! You sound like a great candidate! I am also interviewing. I was curious if they gave you materials last time prior to the interview and what exactly the material is? I saw in past years people said that it was on the different centers, but I just wanted to check.

I also am terrified of the writing assessment. It's only 30 min but I'm very curious if it'll be assessed strictly on writing or epi knowledge.

Hey congratulations on the interview! You sound like a great candidate! I am also interviewing. I was curious if they gave you materials last time prior to the interview and what exactly the material is? I saw in past years people said that it was on the different centers, but I just wanted to check.

I also am terrified of the writing assessment. It's only 30 min but I'm very curious if it'll be assessed strictly on writing or epi knowledge.

I hope not epi knowledge! I know the basics from medical training, but I'm hoping to learn a lot on the job.

I don't think they provided interview materials last time, but I'm hoping we'll get some clarification at the informational webinar on Thursday. I can't imagine the writing assignment would require any extensive epi knowledge, since the fellowship is focused on providing that training! I was brainstorming a bit, and wondering if perhaps the writing assignment deals with translation of scientific information to a format that is friendly to a lay audience? That's pure speculation though :)

Hi everyone! I’m super stoked to have gotten an interview. I am currently finishing up my PhD in Virology and I finished my MPH in May. I also work for a non-profit that does work in Kenya. I also think that my letters and personal statement were really important for my application. I sent in 6 rather than the required 4 letters so I could ensure that I had people who could speak about my PhD, MPH, and non-profit work. Good luck to those who got an interview!

Hello, I'd like to f/u with you on something that we have in common. Please get in touch with me. Thank you.

Have anyone received the interview materials yet? I thought it should be sent to us by Friday, correct?

Are people wearing full on suits for video interviews? Or would a button down be okay?

Are people wearing full on suits for video interviews? Or would a button down be okay?

Well I'm seeing this far too late. I did, just because it seemed like the right thing to do, but many people were not in suits. Online interviews are certainly odd.

Hopefully everyone is safe and well and not a giant ball of stress now that interviews are over. I don't know about you guys, but I was really excited to hear the stories of the current EIS classes and graduates. It sounds like they are doing amazing work, all over the US and the world. Of course, I would expect nothing less from them, but dang it's certainly impressive to hear the stories. I loved the format with the officers calling in from their various locations and talking about their incredibly different projects. It really made the scope of the program more apparent. I can't imagine how EIS is run. It must be exhausting to keep track of all of these officers.

Got the call! The person I spoke to said almost everyone has been notified. Wait lists should be going out next.

Waitlist e-mails are out. Does anyone know about how many are waitlisted typically?

I wasn’t able to make the info session. Any info on how many people are in the class and on the waitlist?

I wasn’t able to make the info session. Any info on how many people are in the class and on the waitlist?
I think 50 in the class and 49 on the wait list? Somebody correct me if I remember wrong. Are you applying for a prematch position?

I think 50 in the class and 49 on the wait list? Somebody correct me if I remember wrong. Are you applying for a prematch position?

Whoa can someone corroborate that!? I thought there would be far more people this year, that's pretty sad. :( I am really interested in a few of the prematch positions, but we will see if they feel the same way!