EIS 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:brb:
Whoa can someone corroborate that!? I thought there would be far more people this year, that's pretty sad. :( I am really interested in a few of the prematch positions, but we will see if they feel the same way!
They did say they may have more spots after budgets come through. Good luck with the prematch! And yeah...small class and the November elections makes me nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard 55 already selected into the class so far and 13 remaining spots (that are available for pre-match). So a class of 68 EISOs for 2021, which is similar to previous years.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone waiting on the waitlist! Any application/interview tips for future applicants ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi....has anyone heard when the next webinar is in November?

Good luck to everyone waiting on the waitlist! Any application/interview tips for future applicants ?
I don't have any advice. I have no clue why I got an interview and I didn't do anything to prepare for the interview. I just tried to be authentic throughout and I researched what EIS was about before applying. I think knowing how EIS would be a good next step for your career is key. And what you want to learn from it. Good luck!

In terms of getting an interview.... no idea. For the interivew, I think talking to as many EISOs as possible about their varying experiences and knowing a lot about the program (e.g. have a sense of what CALs are) is helpful. From what you hear from EISOs, have a list of specific things you want out of the program and be able to say where you hope EIS can take you later in your career. They don't want people who want jobs at CDC, they want people who are interested in EIS and the learning that comes from it. Communicating Science: The Role of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Field-Based Epidemic Intelligence Service Officers, 2009–2014 is helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
In terms of getting an interview.... no idea. For the interivew, I think talking to as many EISOs as possible about their varying experiences and knowing a lot about the program (e.g. have a sense of what CALs are) is helpful. From what you hear from EISOs, have a list of specific things you want out of the program and be able to say where you hope EIS can take you later in your career. They don't want people who want jobs at CDC, they want people who are interested in EIS and the learning that comes from it. Communicating Science: The Role of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Field-Based Epidemic Intelligence Service Officers, 2009–2014 is helpful.
Thanks so much!

I hope you all had great success. My husband was class of 2015 and it was one of the first classes to have a discussion thread on SDN. We learned so much from each other and they went into the cohort already knowing a bit about each other, which was great. Anyway, by now you've all heard and have assignments so just wanted to say congrats.

I hope you all had great success. My husband was class of 2015 and it was one of the first classes to have a discussion thread on SDN. We learned so much from each other and they went into the cohort already knowing a bit about each other, which was great. Anyway, by now you've all heard and have assignments so just wanted to say congrats.

Hi mlkmnsgrl. Where is your husband now? Any advice for the match? Where did he end up doing his 2 year service? I read through the 2015 posts and they were very informative....wish I had read them before I applied and interviewed lol. I saw you have 3 kids. If you don't mind sharing, was your husband gone a lot during those 2 years?

Hi mlkmnsgrl. Where is your husband now? Any advice for the match? Where did he end up doing his 2 year service? I read through the 2015 posts and they were very informative....wish I had read them before I applied and interviewed lol. I saw you have 3 kids. If you don't mind sharing, was your husband gone a lot during those 2 years?
He's a professor at his alma mater, which is pretty much the only place that ever could have tempted him away from NIOSH, which is where he matched and where we planned to stay after his EIS years. NIOSH was the perfect fit for him, and we liked Cincinnati, but occupational epi is definitely different than most of the match options laid before you. As far as travel, it was the tail end of Ebola and then Zika during his time, but the outbreak he deployed to was histoplasmosis in Dominican Republic. Other than that his travel was all from presentations, site inspections related to his NIOSH research, and Commissioned Corps OBC. It was definitely more travel than we were used to, but never more than 3 weeks, and that long was rare. For the training weeks in Atlanta, we sublet an apartment and were all there together. We would also typically go along for EIS conference and that type of thing. He'd be in meetings all day and I'd take the kids to the zoo or whatever. But he hates travel and I hate single parenting, so that worked for us, lol.

I know you're past this stage, but for those reading in future: The main things he learned as we did the application process, including a Sencer Scholar visit the year before, were flexibility (i.e., don't set your heart on Zoonotic) and making sure you clearly communicate what doing EIS will add to your career. They hate it if you just say you want to work for CDC and this is your in. He had some very specific talking points prepared for interviews, worked hard to make contacts in every area/state he felt would fit his goals and our family (he's not an infectious guy, so this was easy for him because the places of interest were typically NOT those in-demand spots everyone fights for), and he asked a ton of questions to be sure he was very clear how the match process works. Maybe it's changed, but at that point it kinda all came down to how the scores added up and once he was certain he wanted NIOSH, he went through every possible preference scoring scenario to be sure it would add up right. I don't remember the other programs that tried to recruit him. EIS was a great experience. It was also chaotic (the Corps really does things in backwards ways, and the EIS office was...uneven), there was hoop-jumping galore, and it was very political. We were glad to be up in Cincinnati away from some of that Atlanta drama. Ultimately, it was so worthwhile, he benefited greatly and encourages many of his students to work toward EIS. The benefits far outweigh the bureaucracy. I wish you all great experiences and good fit matches! If it's not a good fit--you can learn from anything for 2 years and still come away better than you were!

One more tidbit from my husband as far as the match. He said they really pushed choosing the match based on the supervisor--someone you really want to work with--but he said the problem is that very often your supervisor will change. Everyone's looking for promotions, etc, and your supervisor may move on, even before you start. So be sure you choose a position you're interested in. Of course it's important to feel that the people you will work with are a good fit, but the work you'll be doing is important, too. If it's uninteresting AND your supervisor changes to someone you don't really have much connection with, you could end up pretty miserable. That wasn't an issue for him, though his supervisor left shortly after he did, but it did happen to others in his class and some of them wound up unhappy. Best of luck to everyone!

Is the EIS a pretty much guaranteed way to work for a public health Federal Government agency following the fellowship

Is the EIS a pretty much guaranteed way to work for a public health Federal Government agency following the fellowship
No, but it's a higher chance because you'll have those years of experience and you'll know more people. They put a big emphasis on no guarantees and that you shouldn't apply to EIS just to get an in with federal jobs.