EK Self Study or Princeton Prep Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently using the EK set (5th edition) which, even though I've just started, seems like it will prepare me very well. I took a SAT prep course in high school but I really didn't find it that helpful, just forced me to practice. But, I actually find the MCAT material more interesting than SAT material.

My situation is this, I go to a school where many people are pre-med and Princeton is offering a prep course from January to April right at my school. I could technically fit the times into my schedule, the money really isn't an issue. My question is this: should I bother? I'm the type of person who doesn't really learn anything from the professor during science lectures, I teach myself everything from the book. Is being forced to do repetitive practice at this prep course (even though I will do it on my own)that much of a factor for MCAT success? Do you think this course would really help my score?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Dr Trek 1
Hi everyone,

I am currently using the EK set (5th edition) which, even though I've just started, seems like it will prepare me very well. I took a

Thanks in advance for any input!

Prep course every time. There is no way to describe how important AAMC MCAT 5 and 6 are to take in a proctored setting. For this alone, spend the 1.2k.

Second argument in favor of taking a course: if you spend 200k on a medical education, what is 1k to ensure you get there?

Coops

if u have the dedication to be a doctor - you have to have the dedication to study on your own for a month or two for the mcats. i studied on my own for 3 months and did very well.

my strategy:
2 months on information behind mcats (BS, PS)
1 month on test preparation

I'm a junior in college and most of my friends are either taking the Princeton or Kaplan review course (both are offered at my University). However, I agree with you. I think I will accomplish much more studying on my own.

I think it's important to note, from a social psychology point of view, that of course people who did well on the MCAT are going to give much credit to their prep course (if they took one). But I don't think I ever heard of someone doing poorly on the MCAT who praised their prep course. I think many people who do well on the MCAT did not need the prep course, for many I think it's a peace of mind.

What review material did you use? I'm using the EK set. I've only heard good things about it.

i bought kaplan books from ebay. i thought that the material was very straightforward and the reading wasnt too bad. i just kept on reading the books and making notes on things i did not have a firm grasp on and reviewed some more. by the second month i could basically recite the book (well not really, but close).

the last month before the mcats i just took exams after exams.... about 5 total - took it, then looked at the answer - then took the same one again and always scored over a 40 the second time... in addition, after each round of an exam, i quickly reviewed the material (BS, PS) before taking the next one.

i found this to improve my score every week. on my final practice exam, i got a 12 in biological sciences, an 11 on biological and a 10 on verbal. BTW, experience has shown me that verbal is really really hard to study for and improve significantly on.

my august mcats gave me a V11, B10, P11... so i am quite pleased... of course a little more elbow grease on my part could have pushed me over the 33-34 mark... but hey, the medical schools dont seem to mind... im already full of interviews! =)