Election '08: So, are doctors hosed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Youre blaming Ronald Reagan? hahahahahahahahahahaha.

He won the cold war without a nuclear exchange, cut the man some slack who can do that.

Members don't see this ad.

So anyone think Franken is going to pull MN?

Last edited:
So anyone think Franken is going to pull MN?

No. Minnesota is not like Florida. I don't think they'll find an extra 600 votes in the cracks between the ballot boxes. Unless there are lots of absentee ballots missing.

The best one is Alaskans voting for Stevens. Maybe they think Palin will appoint herself to the vacancy when McConnell and Cornyn take him for a nice walk into the woods.

Members don't see this ad :)
Youre blaming Ronald Reagan? hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Yes I'm blaming Ronald Reagan. He threw fiscal conservatism under the bus, and in doing so made us the world's largest debtor nation, with questionable prospects for long term solvency.

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

No. Minnesota is not like Florida. I don't think they'll find an extra 600 votes in the cracks between the ballot boxes. Unless there are lots of absentee ballots missing.

The best one is Alaskans voting for Stevens. Maybe they think Palin will appoint herself to the vacancy when McConnell and Cornyn take him for a nice walk into the woods.

I don't know.. he might pull it out...
They are reprocessing and the gap is 477 votes (according to CNN).

That is like 0.02%...

Is there a big block of 'uncounted' votes somewhere or was all the hype about 08 being HUGE vote turnout total BS...? I'm favoring the latter.
'04 = 123 mil
'08 = ~120 mil

Hilarious.

Nevermind

Last edited:
Yes I'm blaming Ronald Reagan. He threw fiscal conservatism under the bus, and in doing so made us the world's largest debtor nation, with questionable prospects for long term solvency.

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Have you heard of Cold War?

Is there a big block of 'uncounted' votes somewhere or was all the hype about 08 being HUGE vote turnout total BS...? I'm favoring the latter.
'04 = 123 mil
'08 = ~120 mil

Hilarious.

Yeah I was surprised by that too. I saw a statistic that said something like 62.6% of eligible voters voted, which was the highest percentage since 1964. But still, that isn't really high, nearly equivalent to 2004. From what everyone was saying I expected at least 70% if not higher. Why were there so many problems with voting and long lines if it really wasn't any higher? I mean, at my precinct (which I don't think has significantly increased in population since 2004) the lines were about 3x 2004. My suspicion is that most people went to vote earlier than normal this year because they were worried, and that at many places lines weren't that long in the evening.

My suspicion is that most people went to vote earlier than normal this year because they were worried, and that at many places lines weren't that long in the evening.

That may be a part of it. Early voting was pretty huge around here, and people who I know who went on election day in general had fairly short waits. It may also be a lack of enthusiasm in republican voters who decided not to show up counter-balancing the increase in voters who voted for Barack, given the relatively large margin of popular vote victory.

DBH

More like this man, perhaps the greatest non-religious leader in human history.

uewb_07_img0461.jpg

1 LADOC gold star to whom can tell me the man I refer to...

Receive wealth or prosperity without arrogance; and be ready to let it go.

Not to hijack the thread here, but that is a picture of Caracalla, one of the cruellest and most notorious tyrants in history. He was known as Marcus Aurelius Antoninus briefly, but he is vastly different from the "real" Marcus Aurelius, who died decades before.

Marcus Aurelius is usually depicted with a mustache and a much more benign facial expression. Caracalla, on the other hand, celebrated his evilness; his portraiture clearly shows his cruel demeanor.

/carry on

Given that your quote is attributed to Marcus Aurelius, I'm going to assume that you meant he is the great leader and not Caracalla. Caracalla, however, would probably be a good leader for the type of country you proposed.

Not to hijack the thread here, but that is a picture of Caracalla, one of the cruellest and most notorious tyrants in history. He was known as Marcus Aurelius Antoninus briefly, but he is vastly different from the "real" Marcus Aurelius, who died decades before.

Marcus Aurelius is usually depicted with a mustache and a much more benign facial expression. Caracalla, on the other hand, celebrated his evilness; his portraiture clearly shows his cruel demeanor.

/carry on

Given that your quote is attributed to Marcus Aurelius, I'm going to assume that you meant he is the great leader and not Caracalla. Caracalla, however, would probably be a good leader for the type of country you proposed.

Wow look at that..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracalla

It does look like that drawing is exactly the same as that bust... How odd..

Members don't see this ad :)

/carry on

You may be right,
here was my original reference
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.notablebiographies.com/images/uewb_07_img0461.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.notablebiographies.com/Lo-Ma/Marcus-Aurelius.html&h=279&w=228&sz=15&hl=en&start=26&sig2=pPubK-Qi7lDUeWl1R0R9CQ&usg=__PtqnkvJvRCXjl1qAmj41JZ1ooNI=&tbnid=2U66TFsFmnejcM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=93&ei=QW8USYW5Doy6sAP1qqj6Cg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarcus%2Baurelius%26start%3D21%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

A call of that epicness on SDN is suprising indeed....who are you ScottyT? Premed ex-USMC sgt just happens to pop in and make a call like that on a obscure ancient drawing...the force is strong in you. Dont come in here just waving 2 lightsabers without an introduction. What unit were you with?

Hold it....you are a near 4.0 premed ex-USMC Sgt? Holy crap, you ex-Delta Force too? I cant possibly believe you would get rejected from anywhere...

Last edited:
After serious thought and pro/con list I wrote up after some reading last night, Im actually liking Obama far more than I had admitted before.

Frankly, the Repub party has set forth on an epic failboat with such things as the Patriot Act, increased deficit spending and unneccessary stress placed on the military.

I need to do a more careful analysis, but am rethinking my "Allies of LADOC" order of battle.

Hold it....you are a near 4.0 premed ex-USMC Sgt? Holy crap, you ex-Delta Force too? I cant possibly believe you would get rejected from anywhere...

I can. There is plenty of anti-military sentiment among elite academicians.

After serious thought and pro/con list I wrote up after some reading last night, Im actually liking Obama far more than I had admitted before.

Frankly, the Repub party has set forth on an epic failboat with such things as the Patriot Act, increased deficit spending and unneccessary stress placed on the military.

I need to do a more careful analysis, but am rethinking my "Allies of LADOC" order of battle.

Can you share the pro/con Obama list with the forum?

Can you share the pro/con Obama list with the forum?

At work now, but there is a summation of several points in today's Wall Street Journal by Dick Armey.

I can. There is plenty of anti-military sentiment among elite academicians.

I would hope that isnt the case, if it is then this country is beyond saving.

Perhaps you're drinking the same Kool Aide I did. The republican party has been on a mission of fail for about the last 5 years. I guess that was about the time they stopped considering the fact that fiscal conservatism cannot involve excessive spending and tax cuts at the same time. It's very difficult to fight a war while taking in less money from your citizens to fund it. They were trying to have it both ways and hope things hung on until after GWB was out of office, then they could blame the recession on the democrats more easily. Hard to do that now. I blame whatever tax increase that Obama passes 100% on GWB and his allies. These people are not conservatives. They may be social conservatives in many aspects, but being a social conservative should include more than just gay marriage, abortion, and guns.

And yes, the Patriot act is but one of the interferences in our lives that they have been advocating. The fact that they think stopping gay marriage is of vital importance is simply astounding to me when there is so much other stuff they need to worry about. But perhaps what bothers me the most is that intelligence and critical reasoining are now bad things. It means you're an elitist. It means you look down on the common folk (who always know what's right, by the way). Sarah Palin crystallized it with the "we can't blink" statement. No. You have to blink, otherwise you act before you have all the information. And when you're too stubborn or feeble minded to admit you're wrong and change course, and the people you have making the decisions are unqualified, it's a REALLY bad thing if your initial decision is flawed.

Well said yaah.

:thumbup:

I too am warming on Obama. Rahm emanuel was a great choice for chief of staff. I'm realizing the benefits of a democratic administration are so much better than what we have now.

Perhaps you're drinking the same Kool Aide I did. The republican party has been on a mission of fail for about the last 5 years. I guess that was about the time they stopped considering the fact that fiscal conservatism cannot involve excessive spending and tax cuts at the same time. It's very difficult to fight a war while taking in less money from your citizens to fund it. They were trying to have it both ways and hope things hung on until after GWB was out of office, then they could blame the recession on the democrats more easily. Hard to do that now. I blame whatever tax increase that Obama passes 100% on GWB and his allies. These people are not conservatives. They may be social conservatives in many aspects, but being a social conservative should include more than just gay marriage, abortion, and guns.

And yes, the Patriot act is but one of the interferences in our lives that they have been advocating. The fact that they think stopping gay marriage is of vital importance is simply astounding to me when there is so much other stuff they need to worry about. But perhaps what bothers me the most is that intelligence and critical reasoining are now bad things. It means you're an elitist. It means you look down on the common folk (who always know what's right, by the way). Sarah Palin crystallized it with the "we can't blink" statement. No. You have to blink, otherwise you act before you have all the information. And when you're too stubborn or feeble minded to admit you're wrong and change course, and the people you have making the decisions are unqualified, it's a REALLY bad thing if your initial decision is flawed.

I am so excited about the Obama victory. It was perhaps one of the most historically significant days of our lives. We are at the end of one era and the start of a new one. We are at the close of the era that began with Reagan with the deregulation of everything (including health care). The Reagan-W.Bush era was a time of fixing the rules so the rich get richer and the poor and middle class get F**cked.

Now we began a new era of wealth redistribution, more business regulation, and hopefully single payer socialized health care. It's going to be awesome. Medicine is going to get so much better the next 20 years now that we won't fight over every last nickel. It can go back to being a respected genteel profession as it was Pre-Reagan.

Last edited:
Besides the increased payroll taxes and the increased marginal tax rates, Dems are kicking around a plan to end 401k's and move all of the assets into a nationalized pension plan. You would then be required to contribute 5% of your income every year to this plan (essentially an additional payroll tax), which invests in Treasury bills for a guaranteed 3% return. You would be taxed on the capital gains in this account every year.
When you retire, you get an annuity, just like Social Security.
The benefit to the government is obvious: it finally gets its hands on the trillions of dollars squirreled away in 401k's. This is money that the government can then use for its own purposes.
The drawbacks to 401k holders are also obvious: smaller contributions, feeble return on investment, capital gains taxation every year. If the abolition of 401k's occur before the market bounces back, losses will be "locked in."
And one huge drawback: if the retirement payouts are means-tested, high income workers will receive less for their investment than other workers . . . possibly even less than they put in.
The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we became ineligible for benefits if we have any significant assets outside of the pension plan . . .

No one with an inkling of understanding of financial markets or politics in the United States of America would ever think this or spread such a ridiculous statement. This smacks of trolling...

Excellent article in the weekend WSJ culture section (yaah I think you'd like it): "The perils of 'Pupulist Chic': What the rise of Sarah Palin and populism means for the conservative intellectual tradition."

[BTW written by a humanities prof at Columbia.]

You may be right,
here was my original reference
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.notablebiographies.com/images/uewb_07_img0461.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.notablebiographies.com/Lo-Ma/Marcus-Aurelius.html&h=279&w=228&sz=15&hl=en&start=26&sig2=pPubK-Qi7lDUeWl1R0R9CQ&usg=__PtqnkvJvRCXjl1qAmj41JZ1ooNI=&tbnid=2U66TFsFmnejcM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=93&ei=QW8USYW5Doy6sAP1qqj6Cg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmarcus%2Baurelius%26start%3D21%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

A call of that epicness on SDN is suprising indeed....who are you ScottyT? Premed ex-USMC sgt just happens to pop in and make a call like that on a obscure ancient drawing...the force is strong in you. Dont come in here just waving 2 lightsabers without an introduction. What unit were you with?

:laugh: No special forces in my background; I was worked with computers and networking in the Marines. I was with Marine Corps Base, Butler (Okinawa, Japan) and the training depot in San Diego for most of my enlistment.

I cruise the path forum from time to time because there are [mostly] good discussions here and path is one of the many potential specialties on my radar right now.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my application, it's too bad you aren't on an adcom, LADoc. My military service impresses only those who served or know about the military--a small group in academia. Hopefully my flair for the esoteric will wow those who don't care for the military.

Excellent article in the weekend WSJ culture section (yaah I think you'd like it): "The perils of 'Pupulist Chic': What the rise of Sarah Palin and populism means for the conservative intellectual tradition."

[BTW written by a humanities prof at Columbia.]

I read it. A lot of it makes a lot of sense. However, I have always had a bit of a problem with pseudo-intellectuals who treat their intellectualism like some sort of badge of honor. A lot of times, intellectualism doesn't really correlate with intelligence (and certainly not common sense). Many of the so--called intellectuals of the past were buffoons who couched their weaknesses in distracting things like flowery language and pedigree. So I can understand part of the backlash. However, to take it to the extreme that the republican party has been trying to take it to is pathetic. Sarah Palin represents this wing - where reasoning and artful discussion are a waste of time and something to be avoided. Whether she is or is not actually intelligent is beside the point. It is as though there is some sort of secret cabal who believes if they continue to dumb down the message and the argument, that they will be able to control the argument. It all makes sense though if you think about it as follows:

Perhaps what has actually happened is simple progression of traits through generations. 3 generations ago, the moneyed class that represented the republican party (represented by GHW Bush's father) were those who succeeded through manipulation of capital and society (thus, intelligence), and their successes were enhanced by intellectualism. Intellectualism was admired because it represented a leisurely life, something to aspire to.

The generation after that, while inheriting the pedigree and wealth, had less of the drive and intelligence but was able to compensate through upbringing and education. At that point, all they had was their intellectualism, which did not really translate to actual skill. Having never experienced anything other than a leisurely life, the drive to make sure they and their decendents would maintain it was not there. Complacency was. Thus, their attitudes and lifestyle breeds contempt from others in their generation who work harder yet gain less tangible success.

The next generation, with the continued inbreeding of gradually weakening intelligentsia brings with it continued self-satisfaction and money, yet even less drive, plus a backlash against the intellectualism of their parents, for whom that was all they had. Their parents lacked any kind of hardscrabble ("real") life and as children always see the weaknesses in their parents, it became beneficial to attain some real life experience, but only to appreciate what they have.

So thus, this current generation (represented by Bush and Palin) now is all about making financial gains, to create their own legacy. Intellectualism becomes far less profitable than simple brute force and manipulation of the weaker personalities. Again, intellectualism begins to be a negative trait, because intellectualism is the only true enemy of brute force. That is where we are now. The pendulum is perhaps swinging slightly towards intellectualism being prized again by a subset of the elite class (but these, of course, are the LIBERALS and ELITISTS who are everyone's enemies - see why they frame things this way?). But intellectualism is as of yet not a route to success and prestige - brute force is - keep the intelligent away by calling them liberals and elitists, thus marginalizing them. Hence, this is where Sarah Palin comes in. This is definitely where GWB came in. Even if he is intelligent, this part of his personality is a negative, and thus is marginalized. Palin is a logical step from this - a pure charicature of the things that can appeal to the rabble, while she can still be manipulated by those who wish to cling to power and keep it in as few hands as possible. Because true power is now not being in charge, it is controlling those who are in charge.

The natural progression, of course, is to regain intellectualism and even develop a backlash against money being the ultimate purpose of life. We can see this with so many young people of our generation being involved in charity (yet also continuing to be pulled by the draws of the easy, comfortable life). Making money for money's sake, without concern for others, will become and is becoming frowned upon - witness the backlash against investment bankers. Perhaps it is good for our society - more charity, less concentration of wealth in fewer hands.

Interesting ideas. But I am skeptical that intellectualism is more or less of a political virtue now compared with the past, or that either political party currently relies more or less on appeals to anti-intellectualism. Anti-intellectualism (read: populism, Palinism, or, frankly, Bidenism) has always been a powerful sentiment leveraged by successful politicans to varying degrees to appeal to the resentful middle- and lower-class masses.

I read it. A lot of it makes a lot of sense. However, I have always had a bit of a problem with pseudo-intellectuals who treat their intellectualism like some sort of badge of honor. A lot of times, intellectualism doesn't really correlate with intelligence (and certainly not common sense). Many of the so--called intellectuals of the past were buffoons who couched their weaknesses in distracting things like flowery language and pedigree. So I can understand part of the backlash. However, to take it to the extreme that the republican party has been trying to take it to is pathetic. Sarah Palin represents this wing - where reasoning and artful discussion are a waste of time and something to be avoided. Whether she is or is not actually intelligent is beside the point. It is as though there is some sort of secret cabal who believes if they continue to dumb down the message and the argument, that they will be able to control the argument. It all makes sense though if you think about it as follows:

Perhaps what has actually happened is simple progression of traits through generations. 3 generations ago, the moneyed class that represented the republican party (represented by GHW Bush's father) were those who succeeded through manipulation of capital and society (thus, intelligence), and their successes were enhanced by intellectualism. Intellectualism was admired because it represented a leisurely life, something to aspire to.

The generation after that, while inheriting the pedigree and wealth, had less of the drive and intelligence but was able to compensate through upbringing and education. At that point, all they had was their intellectualism, which did not really translate to actual skill. Having never experienced anything other than a leisurely life, the drive to make sure they and their decendents would maintain it was not there. Complacency was. Thus, their attitudes and lifestyle breeds contempt from others in their generation who work harder yet gain less tangible success.

The next generation, with the continued inbreeding of gradually weakening intelligentsia brings with it continued self-satisfaction and money, yet even less drive, plus a backlash against the intellectualism of their parents, for whom that was all they had. Their parents lacked any kind of hardscrabble ("real") life and as children always see the weaknesses in their parents, it became beneficial to attain some real life experience, but only to appreciate what they have.

So thus, this current generation (represented by Bush and Palin) now is all about making financial gains, to create their own legacy. Intellectualism becomes far less profitable than simple brute force and manipulation of the weaker personalities. Again, intellectualism begins to be a negative trait, because intellectualism is the only true enemy of brute force. That is where we are now. The pendulum is perhaps swinging slightly towards intellectualism being prized again by a subset of the elite class (but these, of course, are the LIBERALS and ELITISTS who are everyone's enemies - see why they frame things this way?). But intellectualism is as of yet not a route to success and prestige - brute force is - keep the intelligent away by calling them liberals and elitists, thus marginalizing them. Hence, this is where Sarah Palin comes in. This is definitely where GWB came in. Even if he is intelligent, this part of his personality is a negative, and thus is marginalized. Palin is a logical step from this - a pure charicature of the things that can appeal to the rabble, while she can still be manipulated by those who wish to cling to power and keep it in as few hands as possible. Because true power is now not being in charge, it is controlling those who are in charge.

The natural progression, of course, is to regain intellectualism and even develop a backlash against money being the ultimate purpose of life. We can see this with so many young people of our generation being involved in charity (yet also continuing to be pulled by the draws of the easy, comfortable life). Making money for money's sake, without concern for others, will become and is becoming frowned upon - witness the backlash against investment bankers. Perhaps it is good for our society - more charity, less concentration of wealth in fewer hands.

I agree that the Republican party has adopted the populist strategy, but it's not as if they are unique in their campaign to win votes (the Dems are just as guilty only with a different subset of the population). Politics follow the transient will of the people, and if the culture is dumbed down, so are the politics. There is an overwhelming number of South Park conservatives & LCD republicans, but I don't equate conservative philosophy (ie. classic liberalism) with current republican politics. I think the former tries to shape the latter (which is a popularity contest), but can only do so if the majority block has a baseline intelligence above the freezing point and has beliefs at a level deeper than what Sarah Palin (or Joe Biden in the converse) has to offer.

In any case, I think arguing that Buckley (or Nock, Weaver, Kirk, Hayek, and the rest of the mid-century conservatives that defined the modern conservative movement) was a pseudo-intellectual doesn’t do him justice.

No one with an inkling of understanding of financial markets or politics in the United States of America would ever think this or spread such a ridiculous statement. This smacks of trolling...

The proposal is all over the news.
You didn't vote Democrat, did you? Because they are the guys who are looking for yet more money to get their hands on:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122477680834462659.html

I'm still so high after the election.

I can't believe Obama won. Plus I love how the whole world partied over his election. It was like a huge sigh of relief.

Plus I love how we elected a man named Barack Hussein Obama who advocated wealth redistribution via the tax code, socialized healthcare, pulling the troops out of Iraq, being friends with Iran, and regulation of finance.

Plus we destroyed the democrats in the house and senate. Barack has a mandate for a hardcore socialist revolution. Hopefully he won't puss out.

The proposal is all over the news.
You didn't vote Democrat, did you? Because they are the guys who are looking for yet more money to get their hands on:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122477680834462659.html

How about you read the opinion piece before you link it.

It is a proposal by ONE ECONOMIST, it has No affiliation with anyone in congress or the president elect.

It is by no means a certainty that Congress or a President Obama would embrace such a proposal

It is an opinion piece by a conservative leaning columnist...

Next time read the article and check your sources.
:thumbdown:

I can't believe Obama won. Plus I love how the whole world partied over his election. It was like a huge sigh of relief.

Plus I love how we elected a man named Barack Hussein Obama who advocated wealth redistribution via the tax code, socialized healthcare, pulling the troops out of Iraq, being friends with Iran, and regulation of finance.

Plus we destroyed the democrats in the house and senate. Barack has a mandate for a hardcore socialist revolution. Hopefully he won't puss out.

First, I hope you're joking, or being sarcastic. If the latter, remember that sarcasm travels poorly in the internet.

Second, note that it is mostly moderate republicans that got spanked last election. This means that it may be difficult for Senate majority leaders to forge filibuster-buster consensus. Therefore, the Senate will be a formidable obstruction against any agenda that is too far to the left, just like the founding fathers envisioned it.

Third, while the recent financial implosion paved the way to Democratic victory, it SEVERELY narrowed the political playing field of the new administration. Dems will have to modify their agenda or implement it in a stepwise fashion, simply because there is not enough cashola.

How about you read the opinion piece before you link it.

It is a proposal by ONE ECONOMIST, it has No affiliation with anyone in congress or the president elect.

It is an opinion piece by a conservative leaning columnist...

Next time read the article and check your sources.
:thumbdown:
Very well.
Read for yourself:
http://www.workforce.com/section/00/article/25/83/58.php

Note these quotes from the article:
"Powerful House Democrats are eyeing proposals to overhaul the nation’s $3 trillion 401(k) system, including the elimination of most of the $80 billion in annual tax breaks that 401(k) investors receive.
House Education and Labor Committee Chairman George Miller, D-California, and Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Washington, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee’s Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support, are looking at redirecting those tax breaks to a new system of guaranteed retirement accounts to which all workers would be obliged to contribute.
...She has been in contact with Miller and McDermott about her plan, and they are interested in pursuing it, she said.
“This [plan] certainly is intriguing,” said Mike DeCesare, press secretary for McDermott.
“That is part of the discussion,” he said.
While Miller stopped short of calling for Ghilarducci’s plan at the hearing last week, he was clearly against continuing tax breaks as they currently exist."

Very well.
Read for yourself:
http://www.workforce.com/section/00/article/25/83/58.php

Note these quotes from the article:
"Powerful House Democrats are eyeing proposals to overhaul the nation's $3 trillion 401(k) system, including the elimination of most of the $80 billion in annual tax breaks that 401(k) investors receive.
House Education and Labor Committee Chairman George Miller, D-California, and Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Washington, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee's Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support, are looking at redirecting those tax breaks to a new system of guaranteed retirement accounts to which all workers would be obliged to contribute.
...She has been in contact with Miller and McDermott about her plan, and they are interested in pursuing it, she said.
"This [plan] certainly is intriguing," said Mike DeCesare, press secretary for McDermott.
"That is part of the discussion," he said.
While Miller stopped short of calling for Ghilarducci's plan at the hearing last week, he was clearly against continuing tax breaks as they currently exist."

Part of the discussion and 'intriguing' are hardly strong interest.

And she says they are interested... they don't say that.

The author adds that last little fact with no comment from anyone to support it (especially the "clearly against" part)

Find anything where the congressmen (or their people) say anything in actual quote that says they are interested in doing this...

then we will talk.

Part of the discussion and 'intriguing' are hardly strong interest.

And she says they are interested... they don't say that.

The author adds that last little fact with no comment from anyone to support it (especially the "clearly against" part)

Find anything where the congressmen (or their people) say anything in actual quote that says they are interested in doing this...

then we will talk.

I guess that I'm not as good at parsing words as you are.
You are trying to hold me to a higher standard than I committed myself to in my original post. If a proposal like the one above is "part of the discussion," it's being given at least some consideration.
You'll never get a congressman to go on record as supporting something like this at this early time--401k's constitute one of several "Third Rails" out there.

Well, not the whole world was rejoicing. If you're excited about all Obama said he'd do, I'd love to see you in the unlikely scenario that he actually does any of this. It's easy to say something, quite a different story to do it and to me it seems like he's all talk. But we shall see. Hopefully he proves me wrong, I just think Obama is so unrealistic...but hey, it worked, he's in.

Well, not the whole world was rejoicing. If you're excited about all Obama said he'd do, I'd love to see you in the unlikely scenario that he actually does any of this. It's easy to say something, quite a different story to do it and to me it seems like he's all talk. But we shall see. Hopefully he proves me wrong, I just think Obama is so unrealistic...but hey, it worked, he's in.

if he doesn't do anything he's promised to do.
After going on his website and reading some of his proposals, I've never seen a scarier candidate in my entire life.
What do you think of the Rahm Emmanuel appointment? Will he push Obama to the center?

:laugh:
Thanks for the vote of confidence in my application, it's too bad you aren't on an adcom, LADoc. My military service impresses only those who served or know about the military--a small group in academia. Hopefully my flair for the esoteric will wow those who don't care for the military.

Not to hijack this thread but my military experience, especially combat experience, has been a frequent topic during my residency interviews-espcially those in the know.- Good luck.

:laugh: No special forces in my background; I was worked with computers and networking in the Marines. I was with Marine Corps Base, Butler (Okinawa, Japan) and the training depot in San Diego for most of my enlistment.

I cruise the path forum from time to time because there are [mostly] good discussions here and path is one of the many potential specialties on my radar right now.

Since today is Veteran's Day, it would be appropriate to make some comments about military service, admissions to medical school and appreciation for military service by those in academic medicine. Please note that these are opinions and I cannot reference any peer-reviewed literature to support my views.

Speaking as a former Assistant Dean of Admissions, there are 2 groups that are generally considered to be great applicants who will not cause trouble in medical school: varsity athletes and ex-military. Both have shown a capacity for hard work, dedication to a team, and the ability to perform under adverse conditions. Typically neither group complains at any point during medical school. They also add diversity to the class in terms of life experience and maturity.

Concerning the appreciation by academics for military service, when I am introduced as an invited speaker or as a visiting professor, the item from my CV that attracts the most comments is my former military service. Even though the 4 years in the Air Force did contribute significantly to my academic career or provide a single peer-reviewed publication, many if not all academics either mention this in my introduction or ask me about my time in the service.

Based on my personal experience, I believe that military service is valued by virtually all people in academics. Most can separate their disapproval of specific military actions from the sacrifice and contribution of the individual soldier/airman/sailor/marine.

Dan Remick, M.D.
Professor and Chair of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

I believe that military service is valued by virtually all people in academics.

Except those at Harvard, Columbia, Yale, and Brown, who have not allowed ROTC programs to return to campus since the Vietnam war. McCain and Obama were both booed when they suggested to Columbia that it reconsider its current ban of ROTC, which the latter claims is in protest to the "don't ask don't tell" policy. Whatever.

Since today is Veteran's Day, it would be appropriate to make some comments about military service, admissions to medical school and appreciation for military service by those in academic medicine. Please note that these are opinions and I cannot reference any peer-reviewed literature to support my views.

Speaking as a former Assistant Dean of Admissions, there are 2 groups that are generally considered to be great applicants who will not cause trouble in medical school: varsity athletes and ex-military. Both have shown a capacity for hard work, dedication to a team, and the ability to perform under adverse conditions. Typically neither group complains at any point during medical school. They also add diversity to the class in terms of life experience and maturity.

Concerning the appreciation by academics for military service, when I am introduced as an invited speaker or as a visiting professor, the item from my CV that attracts the most comments is my former military service. Even though the 4 years in the Air Force did contribute significantly to my academic career or provide a single peer-reviewed publication, many if not all academics either mention this in my introduction or ask me about my time in the service.

Based on my personal experience, I believe that military service is valued by virtually all people in academics. Most can separate their disapproval of specific military actions from the sacrifice and contribution of the individual soldier/airman/sailor/marine.

Dan Remick, M.D.
Professor and Chair of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Very well said. Forward to Boston Herald and Globe?

Would have been a great Veterans Day piece in major paper. And yesterday was the Marine Corps birthday to boot!

Except those at Harvard, Columbia, Yale, and Brown, who have not allowed ROTC programs to return to campus since the Vietnam war. McCain and Obama were both booed when they suggested to Columbia that it reconsider its current ban of ROTC, which the latter claims is in protest to the "don't ask don't tell" policy. Whatever.

Ridiculous and tragic.

Hmm this ROTC bannage is indeed correct from my quick internet research. Princeton still has a ROTC program so there is one option for undergrads. And IMO, Princeton>all anyway.

Last edited:

There might be a difference in opinion between undergrads at a main campus and attendings in a medical school/residency program...

Just maybe...?

Or maybe Dr. Remick really does hang out at the George Sherman Union and rides the B line out to Allston and hangs out at The Avenue...
:smuggrin:

It's not the undergrads who decide whether ROTC is allowed on campus.

I'm sure there is a difference between medical school faculty and the Marxist types in Ivy League liberal arts departments, but Dr. Remick is talking about "virtually all people in academics."

I'm sure there is a difference between medical school faculty and the Marxist types in Ivy League liberal arts departments, but Dr. Remick is talking about "virtually all people in academics."

Yep, I really have more than enough anecdotal evidence to believe that most modern liberal arts schools are super enriched for anti-American liberal scum who need to be fed to wild dogs.

I took Dr. Remick's comments as implying medical school academics, not academics in general. Medical school faculty I still dont agree with often but they are still vastly more level headed their undergrad counterparts.

Well it is true that administrators kicked ROTC off campus during the Vietnam war, they did so under pressure and protests from students.

I don't read stories about students demonstrating to get ROTC back on campus, and being denied due to crazed liberal administrators..

Plus I would guess that those "boos" and Obama and McCain rallies were students...

To be fair though, I really said that just so I could make allusion to Dr. Remick 'slumming' with undergrads...

I agree with LA, that medical school academics are different from academics in general.

I once wrote a manuscript entitled "Al-Qaeda Within" basically outlining the fact that this nation's greatest enemies are currently within these very borders already. And it has nothing at all to do with radical Islam, one of the least of our worries frankly.

I thought Victor Davis Hanson (classics prof at Fresno) had a good article recently, relevant to our recent discussion of 'intellectualism.' I don't think he's arguing for the opposite, but makes a valid point:

"And do intellectuals anyway necessarily make good Presidents? Maybe a John Adams or Teddy Roosevelt — maybe not a utopian megalomaniac like Woodrow Wilson. History is not encouraging when we ponder voracious book readers like Richard Nixon. Brilliant Antiphon tried to overthrow Athenian democracy. The friends of Socrates and Plato — mad writer Critias leading the pack — formed much of the bloodthirsty Thirty Tyrants. The poet Nero finally did away with his insider advisors, including the once sycophantic moralist Seneca and novelist Petronius. Reading a snippet of Thucydides in Greek about the helots at Pylos did not make Thomas Jefferson go out on the veranda and free all his slaves in the fields. Sorry, but quoting Niebuhr has zero relevance in suggesting Obama will out-think our enemies or — elbow on knee, chin on palm — figure out the enigmas of the economy, or offer moral guidance.

Unless Obama really is the Messiah, human nature won’t change much just because we elected someone who we want to think might be divine. So give Obama, the man, not the god, a chance to earn, rather than merely assert, his respect. Quit the smug moralizing that we have somehow proved to the world and ourselves that we are now finally worthy and deserving of adulation — as if wisdom and morality were always only an easy punch of the ballot away."

I guess that I'm not as good at parsing words as you are.
You are trying to hold me to a higher standard than I committed myself to in my original post. If a proposal like the one above is "part of the discussion," it's being given at least some consideration.
You'll never get a congressman to go on record as supporting something like this at this early time--401k's constitute one of several "Third Rails" out there.

From the WSJ thursday:
"Automate participation and savings. Automatically enrolling employees in plans, then hiking savings with pay raises, overcomes the inertia that results in nearly a quarter of workers eligible for an employer-sponsored retirement plan not signing up. Automatic enrollment plans should mandate employer and employee contributions, and the percentage amounts of each. "
--Roger Ferguson, CEO of TIAA-CREF on Obama's Transition Economic Advisory Board

Thoughts?
How is that different, in principle, than Social Security?