Electives - which will help if any?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KTBUG925

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide on electives for my senior year of college because I have a little wiggle room with credits. I'm wondering if I should just take whichever class interests me or if any of these will actually help with medical school (and admissions) and/or the MCAT. Options are:
-continuing with a Spanish elective (semi-fluent) ((I know this won't help with the MCAT))
-global health
-anatomy
-physiology of drugs
-immunology
-human physiology
-neuroanatomy and neurophysiology

Members don't see this ad.

Human physiology and immunology will help you most with the MCAT and are good upper-div science courses to take for med school. Neuroanatomy would also be a good upper div science but is probably overkill for the MCAT. Continuing with Spanish is always a good thing and global health will be interesting. Anatomy is not recommended by many schools as it overlaps with material taught during medical school. As for the others, I would say go for it if they interest you.

None of that is necessary. Take the easiet upper level classes you can take that interest you and that you can continue to have a great GPA in. Schools do not care about the type of classes you take as long as you do well. Anything required in medical school beyond the pre-reqs will be taught in medical school. Also, probably not the best of ideas to use your real picture as an avatar on an anonymous Peruvian flute playing board.

Edit:Upper level classes dont directly help with MCAT prep as the questions are quite different and the content may be at a different level compared to what is tested on the MCAT. A good MCAT book is the way to go to look for the necessary material that you need.