This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eng_elect_17yrs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an electrical engineer with seveteen years of power sytem design experience and currently employed as an electrical engineer in USA. I am a Canadian with international education in electrical engineering. My major was power and my experience is all about working with substation design and engineering. I had a very rewarding career throughout my academics as well as through employers. I was 1st class 1st position holder (93% marks) in engineering, gold medal for presenting my final year work, several other awards. I passed my engineering in Sep-1999 and then started my engineering career in Jan-2000 and was named best employee of the year for 2001 and 2002 consecutively. I moved to Canada in 2006 and then got several awards with different engineering employers.

Now, I have decided to change my profession and want to go to med school and wish to be a doctor. I don't know how hard it is to get in my foot but need someone to advise me what should be the first step towards that. Also, someone to give me an honest opinion that would it be impossible at the age of 43 to make this transition (considering age and process of med school).

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro @gyngyn

And OP, i am very happy to see another noble man interested in medicine, but what's compelling you to make the switch?

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro @gyngyn

And OP, i am very happy to see another noble man interested in medicine, but what's compelling you to make the switch?

Several reasons; the main reason was the illness of close family members which triggered this desire. Just moved to a community which has 90% doctors around; that gave me the temptation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, my employer is under process to sponsor me and I will jump in after that! So just pretend me as a permenant resident!
Read this book:

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Read this book:

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624
Is that a free online info or I need to buy this somewhere?

That sounds good because my GPA is 3.92 but i passed my eng school in 1999 :eyebrow:
Gpa's don't expire.
A strong showing in pre-med courses will go a long way in a medical school application, but you need to be aware that an international application needs to be excellent and the applicant has to have a sound strategy.

Gpa's don't expire.
A strong showing in pre-med courses will go a long way in a medical school application, but you need to be aware that an international application needs to be excellent and the applicant has to have a sound strategy.

Well, I am planning to go to med school for fall 2019; by that time, hopefully, i may not be an international student if everything goes smooth :cigar:

That is a very ambitious time table, perhaps unrealistic. If you plan to matriculate in Fall 2019, that means you will have less than one year to do all that's needed and apply in Summer 2018:

Without knowing what your extracurricular activities are, the reality is that even with your GPA and an excellent MCAT score, you need to have the extracurricular activities. These include clinical volunteering, shadowing physicians, non-clinical volunteering, maybe research, leadership skills, letters of evaluation, etc. Medical schools do not just consider metrics for admissions.

upload_2017-12-6_9-29-39.png

Remember, that age is not a factor. Take a 2-3 years to add to your extracurriculars. Otherwise being a reapplicant is another obstacle to hurdle.

GL!

Well, I am planning to go to med school for fall 2019; by that time, hopefully, i may not be an international student if everything goes smooth :cigar:
Based on your OP, I am doubtful a 2019 matriculation will work out for you. A 2019 application for 2020 matriculation might be possible, but only if you enroll in a postbacc next fall and get all pre-reqs completed in 1 year. Even that would be a very frenetic timeline. Realistically, you have 2 years minimum until you'll be in a position to apply.

Your 1999 GPA won't count in this process, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

Last edited:
Similar story here. I have always wanted to become a doctor. Couldn't go to med school then owing to a couple of reasons. So pursued electronics engineering (2014 pass out) then did my MBA(2016 pass out) worked as a business analyst for a year and half. Now decided to do what I 've always wanted to.
And now Post bacc Pre Med is my only way in. I would like to know if its a plausible thing as an International student? and what are my chances? If there is a chance, how and where do I get things started with? Has anybody taken the route of Post Bacc Pre-Med ->MCAT -> Med school as an International student?