Electronic Stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Black&Gold

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two things:

1) I'm getting a new cell phone/provider. It's basically like I'm getting a phone for the first time, except that I can get a $150 discount from Sprint because I was a customer for a long time before I went abroad. Should I go all out and get a Blackberry (or equivalent)? I'm getting the impression that med students/residents LOVE their PDAs and can't live without them, and that they are slowly replacing the drug pocket guides, so should I kill two birds with one stone here? I'm a pencil-and-paper kinda girl (love my dayplanner), but if I can cut down on the things I'm carrying around, that might also be a good thing. But then again I don't want to spend ridiculous money on a phone/look like a tool while holding something the size of a small country to my head.

2) Do people actually bring their laptops to class and take notes on them? I secretly made fun of the few people that did that in college (it was always in history classes for some reason), but I don't want this to be a Legally Blonde situation where everyone is sitting there taking notes on their laptops and I have my heart-shaped notebook and fluffy pink pen. What's the deal with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Black&Gold said:
2) Do people actually bring their laptops to class and take notes on them? I secretly made fun of the few people that did that in college (it was always in history classes for some reason), but I don't want this to be a Legally Blonde situation where everyone is sitting there taking notes on their laptops and I have my heart-shaped notebook and fluffy pink pen. What's the deal with that?

I know! I noticed that in my history classes too... except instead of taking notes most of them were actually taking advantage of the wireless network and talking to their friends online. I personally am married to my notebook and pen note taking technique, and I can't imagine switching to using a laptop. It has worked for me so far, and so I plan on sticking with it for med school.

Black&Gold said:
Two things:

1) I'm getting a new cell phone/provider. It's basically like I'm getting a phone for the first time, except that I can get a $150 discount from Sprint because I was a customer for a long time before I went abroad. Should I go all out and get a Blackberry (or equivalent)? I'm getting the impression that med students/residents LOVE their PDAs and can't live without them, and that they are slowly replacing the drug pocket guides, so should I kill two birds with one stone here? I'm a pencil-and-paper kinda girl (love my dayplanner), but if I can cut down on the things I'm carrying around, that might also be a good thing. But then again I don't want to spend ridiculous money on a phone/look like a tool while holding something the size of a small country to my head.

Hi there,
At my medical school, incoming students were given laptops during orientation (unless you already have one) because all lectures were Powerpoint and all teaching boards were smart boards so that you could download their content too. Most students downloaded the lectures and typed in notes as they went along. Some folks have tablet PCs and take notes directly on their computers.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Black&Gold said:
Two things:

Some bring their laptops, but not many (maybe 3 in my class). It is much easier/quicker to take notes using a pen/pencil than typing on a computer. If you are a pencil/paper kinda girl then stick with what works for you. Some students bought PDAs for 3rd year and don't even use them. Buy a nice small phone that you like. Plus do you really want to be lugging around a laptop on campus all day long?

I am in much the same situation, though I haven't started school yet (two weeks!) so my opinion doesn't count for much...yet :)

I have heard that you really don't need a PDA for your first two years of school, and that by the time you may need it during 3rd year, you will probably want to upgrade anyway. I'm planning on foregoing the Blackberry and sticking to some ultra-small phone like usual, and keeping the trusty "old school Palm Pilot" (note pad and pen).

As for laptops, I know I won't be able to take notes on my computer. If there's any type of wireless reception I'd be doing nothing but checking baseball scores :cool:

At my school, we are "REQ'D" to bring our laptops to school on our first day and so on...

I sat in on a first year lecture, and there were many many students (over 80%) using a laptop for notes. Maybe you can get a laptop with a digital pen?